• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

You could not make it up!

Ok so im due for surgery on Wed 11th July for stricture removal, stopping of bleed and an ileostomy.

So the Saturday before i trot off into town and buy new nighties and knickers, toiletries etc - you know the whole going into hossie stuff.

Childcare is sorted for the first week and we are ready to go.

Sunday 8th July i am in the kitchen making a bagel for my daughter, slipped on some water and twisted and fell in such a way i actually snapped my shin :ywow::ywow:

I thought i had twisted it so lay on the sofa with a bag of frozen carrots for 2 hours but it was getting worse so off i went to A+E where they x-ray it and discover a displaced fracture of the tibial plateau. I was still totally non-plussed as to hw serious this was! They wanted to admit me to operate but i was like "oh no you cant im having an ileostomy nxt week"!!

So i go home with a splint thing in my leg - ring my bowel surgeon the next day who refuses to operate on my bowel with me being immobile - he said the risk of clotting is too high and DVTs are a big risk.

Obviously ive watched Greys Anatomy, House, etc far too much as i thought they could fix all my problems in one go!!:ybiggrin:

So i get admitted to the Orthopedic trauma ward on 9th July and after the op being cancelled twice i finally get it done on the Thursday.

They took a bone graft from my hip, attached that to the "mush" that was my tibia and then added a metal plate and secured it with pins.

I had to have a knee length plaster whilst the swelling went down but now have a 2 piece plaster - purple one goes from toes to just under knee, pink one goes from just above knee to top of thigh. There is then some metal work attaching the two which will be altered weekly to increase the bend in my knee.
I am unable to weigh tbear at all on the leg for 2-4 months!

So basically i am totally useless - cant do anything with the kids, this years camping holiday has been cancelled.

Then once all the leg stuff is fixed i get to have bowel surgery and be out of commission again!

Oh my GOODNESS!!! You poor, poor thing! That is just the sort of thing I always fear right before a scheduled surgery.... you get everything squared away, mentally set for what is going to happen, and then some freak accident that brings everything to a halt.

Keep us updated on your progress. I can't imagine being slowed down by a leg fracture and trying to run to the loo. EEK!! :hug:

Oh dear, FruitLoop...that's horrendous! You must be so peeved.

Take care of yourself...yeah, I know. Rotten advice.:)

Kismet

Terriernut

That is just the kicker. :stinks: Major bad luck.

I can only hope that at some point this will be funny...like when you're telling your grandkids about it.

Oh hun...you must be frustrated as hell.

What monstrous bad luck! I'm with you: guess I've watched way too much House too. I would have thought, hey just fix it all now! I'm so sorry this has happened!