• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

You want the sleep? You can't handle the sleep!

Seriously I've only taken my first ever dose of pred!

Wednesday night I had trouble sleeping as my consultants appointment was the next day for The Results.

Thursday night I slept fitfully from about 6am to 11am as I'd been up all night trying to get my head around how severe my Crohn's appears to be.

Friday night - No sleep at all. Took the first 30mg pred dose Saturday morning at about 8am.

I've now been awake for .... 36 hours! What is driving me mad is the pred is having a euphoric effect on me, the codeine and cyclizine are doing their normal thing of making me feel much too high for my own good, I'm sat here practically stoned from the IBD meds and I still can't go to sleep!

It's ridiculous! I actually feel more awake and energetic than I have since November.

I couldn't stand the insomnia on a high pred dose. It was awful because prednisone also made me incredibly restless so I couldn't concentrate on anything during the day nevermind all through the night. It didn't have the effect that lack of sleep usually has on me (feeling dead the next day), I felt ridiculously energetic. I tried all sorts of sleep meds then found amitriptyline which fixed the insomnia and the restlessness and since then have had perfect sleep whether on pred or not. So I guess my advice is speak to your doctor about sleep meds if the lack of sleep is a serious problem.

Codeine makes me feel too good as well, but if you're on it for any length of time you'll likely start becoming tolerant.

Enjoy the energy (even if it's fake energy), but I hope you'll sleep soon.

You have my vote for "post of the day" Trapper!

I'm in the same boat, just took my first dose today at 6am and I'm so pumped full of energy I think I'm going to jump out of my chair!-not fun-

My wife and kids are in for an interesting 8 weeks--

I'm hearing more and more about the amitriptyline for sleeplessness, anyone care to expand on their experience with it? Side effects, habit forming, etc?

Let's keep this thread rolling, so many of us having to take the same evil Prednisone-

The prednisone will definitely help keep you awake! I hate that med! But it does a number on the inflammation.

Started Prednisone 2 weeks ago- 30x1week down ten for the next two. Had a really bad time this morning in a training mtg. Yep kinda curled up in a ball and just said don't mind me- that's how I roll now I
guess. It's miserable but the laundry is done and the house us dusted
Every night.

Lauren

You have my vote for "post of the day" Trapper!

I'm in the same boat, just took my first dose today at 6am and I'm so pumped full of energy I think I'm going to jump out of my chair!-not fun-

My wife and kids are in for an interesting 8 weeks--

I'm hearing more and more about the amitriptyline for sleeplessness, anyone care to expand on their experience with it? Side effects, habit forming, etc?

Let's keep this thread rolling, so many of us having to take the same evil Prednisone-
Amitriptyline saved my sanity when on prednisone! We have a support group for it: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47926

Here's my post from that thread:

I developed severe insomnia and restlessness/anxiety when I took prednisone for the first time. I tried buying sleeping pills but they didn't help. My GP prescribed my amitriptyline. At first I thought it didn't work because I was on a low dose (10mg) which is standard for treating insomnia.

My GP said to increase the dose until I found the amount that "knocked me out." At about 150mg (the dose usually used for depression) I was getting the best night's sleeps of my life! After weeks of taking it I realised not only was I sleeping again, but all the anxiety and restlessness had gone - I was always calm, and was a much nicer person to be around. My family actually commented on this! I presume this is because it's working as an antedepressant on me, even though that's not what I'd intended.

I can't say enough good things about it. It does make my bladder uncomfortable, but I'll take that any day rather than go back to how I felt before. And that includes how I felt before prednisone - my not-on-drugs normal state. I didn't know I could be such a calm person. I'm normally more than a little neurotic. I didn't realise how much until the Ami kicked in and I could notice the difference.

I've been on it since mid-December last year, and had worried about tolerance building up, but that doesn't seem to happen with this med. I'll keep taking it forever too.

Thanks for these suggestions. Had about an hour and half of sleep tonight, so tomorrow is going to be interesting. Been averaging around 4-5 hours lately.

My GI had given me Ativan during my last round of Pred, which I didn't take, but have tried one tablet tonight. Doesn't seem to be doing much. Might try two tomorrow. Dosing instructions are 1-2. Will look into Amitriptyline and benadryl is a good suggestion. It used to knock me out before my Remicade treatments.

Any one have any other suggestions? See my GP on Monday so will ask her as well.

I take amitriptyline 25 mg at night also and currently on prednisone and i feel just fine. Full effect of the amitriptyline takes a week to get used to, first couple of days i felt groggy and tired but body gets used to it

Honey

Staff member
Hi there, I sympathize and empathise with you . When I was on a large doze of Prednisolone I became hyper. I have mobility problems, yet managed to climb a set of ladders and paint the walls in my lounge. I finished that, and moved on to the kitchen!!!!! My home has never looked so good!!!!!! It does affect your sleep too, unfortunately. I am on a lower doze now _ no thoughts about painting walls. Best wishes
.:bigwave: