• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Young and diagnosed

When I was diagnosed with Crohn's diesease I was starting 5th grade. I was admitted into the hospital for a week to run tests, I was about 50 pounds and couldn't control any of my symptoms. I first got out onto steroids and when those started working the first medicine I was put on was Pentasa. That seemed to work for awhile but then in 7th grade I had another flare up and I was in the hospital for two weeks and there was some talk of surgery if the next medicines they tried didn't work. I had a PIC line inserted and I was not allowed to eat for a month I was getting all of my nutrients from my line. When the PIC line was taken out I still was not allowed to eat I was on a strict diet of protein drinks. The non eating helped heal a lot and of course I cheated sometimes because I was only a seventh grader. But I still was not in remission, so they then continued to try remicade which didn't work for me at all, then I tried Humira and had no luck, and finally I was put on methotrexate and by this time I was in the middle of my freshman year in high school. I am now a senior and am still on methotrexate and have not had any signs of a flare up. I have little phases of some of my symptoms but they clear back up. I have gone through many doctor appointments and many medicines and many hospital trips and am happy to say I have finally found something that works for me. I am nervous for another flare up and it's hard to not worry when there is no clue of a time limit on how long a person can be in remission but I hope I continue on my path that I am going.

Welcome! Glad you are feeling good, I was dx age 14 ( im From the uk so not sure what grade it would be) when I was in year 9. I am currently on TPN and have been on it for 2 months with no food-due to not eating there have been no symptoms so technically I'm in remission. Feel free to ask questions- but don't worry as I use for support "go with the flow!"

Dx in 6th grade was good till sophomore year second semester of college then had a flare and another the following spring. Lost 50lbs and gained it back after going down to 100lbs most recent recovery gained back 70lbs