• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Young People With Crohn's

I am 15 years old and was diagnosed with crohn's disease last June after four years of being ill on and off. In December 2011 I became under a lot of stress which gradually made me more ill, by May 2012 I had stopped going to school altogether due to fears of my uncontrollable bowel. My gcses were coming up and being unable to attend school created more stress. In June 2012 I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy which resulted in inflammation being found in my ileum, and Crohn's being diagnosed. I was put on modulen and was unable to eat for 6 weeks. At the beginning of my diagnosis I became very sad and depressed due to my restrictions of a normal 14/15 year old girls life. In August 2012 before my 15th birthday I was admitted with inflammation levels of 267 which I was then put on to an 8 week steroid scheme which would lead up to an operation. The steroids caused my face to round and put on weight which lead to stretch marks on my thighs. I had my operation to remove the inflammation in my ileum October 2012. It's now been 5 months since my operation and 10 months since my diagnosis and I wouldn't change any of it. With all the things I've lost due to my disease I feel I've gained more. I am a stronger person now and don't take advantage of the little things anymore. You see who your real friends are and how important family is, my mum has been my rock throughout everything and without her I wouldn't of managed. I am currently doing my gcses at home with a tutour supplied through the council and have passed everything so far. Crohns has made me who I am today and I wouldn't change it for the world. I want anyone young to know things do get better.

Welcome to the forum Littlepixie, you might check out the teens only section. My son is 13 (14 in a few months) and was diagnosed with Crohn's 3 years ago. I'm glad you are not letting Crohn's define you. You are an inspiration to not only children and teenagers with Crohn's but all people with Crohn's.
Good luck on you GCSES!