• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Your symptoms during remission

Hello to all fellow IBD sufferers!

I was just curious to know what kind of symptoms YOU suffer from during times of official/clinical remission?
That is when your GI tells you there is no detectable inflammation on recent labs (CRP, ESR, Calprotectin and endoscopy all normal)

what is the longest time you ever been in a period of remission?

Up to 66% of cronies also seem to have IBS like symptoms.

Here is the study for anyone interested.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/806313

What has been your experience? How does it effect your quality of life?

Last edited:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
With true remission, you should have no symptoms. If you have clinical remission, that is when all testing etc shows no issues. You may or may not have what appear to be symptoms.

Remember everyone is an individual when it comes to symptoms, or lack of.....I am technically in remission, however depending on what I eat, how stressed I am etc may determine how my insides react....doesn't necessarily mean I'm having Crohns' symptoms though, it may just mean my stomach/intestines are upset.....

I was in remission from 1997-2005. I was in a clinical trial for a drug called Interleukin 11. They told me that I received the placebo but my wife was wondering the other day if maybe I got the real thing.

scottsma

Although I haven't been diagnosed with I.B.S. I'm sure I suffer from it.I would consider myself in remission from Crohn's colitis,but I still have toilet problems.ie: frequent morning trips to the bathroom to pass solid to soft to loose B.Ms and occassional bad constipation for no reason that's obvious to me.Because I've had it for so long and I don't work,I tend to take it for granted and don't book appointments,dentist,hairdresser etc. before 11-30am.When in a flare I have blood,mucus,pain and fever.

Scipio

When I'm in remission I have no symptoms at all except maybe some mild fatigue. But that could very well be due to just getting older.

Scottsma - This!

I feel constantly sore 24/7 and have not been able to produce a single normal bowel movement in several years =D
I pass soft and loose B.Ms no matter the food I ate or the state I'm currently in.
Early appointments can be inconvenient, especially while driving and cramping simultaneously.

Thinking I am slipping out of remission currently. For me, there is a feeling of "fullness" in my abdomen that I believe is causing refluxing and causing symptoms that are similar to asthma that I believe are actually throat irritations. These did not exist for me a year ago, but have been present since about September of last year and slowly growing. Get to talk to my GI tomorrow and plan the way ahead.

I'm in clinical remission though nothing in blood work has ever had alarmed doctors before Took an actual colonoscopy to diagnose me.

I'm still symptomatic even in remission. I have to say though I'm not having as many issues before. Still have terrible joint pain. Have diahrea regularly but I'm not rushing to the bathroom every minute of the day. Pain in abdomen has diminished. No weightless though that was never the issue for me. Still have days when I have to be near the washroom. Very sporadic at times.

Honestly wished I didn't have any issues whatsoever since I'm in 'remission' but I get remission looks differently for everyone.

Hello to all fellow IBD sufferers!

I was just curious to know what kind of symptoms YOU suffer from during times of official/clinical remission?
That is when your GI tells you there is no detectable inflammation on recent labs (CRP, ESR, Calprotectin and endoscopy all normal)

what is the longest time you ever been in a period of remission?

Up to 66% of cronies also seem to have IBS like symptoms.

Here is the study for anyone interested.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/806313

What has been your experience? How does it effect your quality of life?
Never in full remission like that since I was diognosed 10 years ago...