• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Zinc supplementation for maintenance of remission in CD?

O

old hat

Another quite preliminary but interesting study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11383597&dopt=Citation
Zinc supplementation tightens "leaky gut" in Crohn's disease.
OBJECTIVES: Small intestinal permeability is often increased in patients with Crohn's disease and may be pathogenic for clinical relapses. No effective prophylactic treatment is available for these patients. The aim of this study was to ascertain whether zinc supplementation may improve intestinal permeability. METHODS: We studied 12 patients with quiescent Crohn's disease who had been in remission for at least 3 months and had increased intestinal permeability on two separate occasions within the last 2 months. Patients received oral zinc sulfate supplements (110 mg three times a day) for 8 weeks and were followed-up for 12 months thereafter to monitor relapses. RESULTS: We found that the lactulose/mannitol ratio was significantly higher before supplementation than after (0.041 +/- 0.003 versus 0.026 +/- 0.005). During follow-up, 10 patients had normal intestinal permeability and did not relapse; of the remaining two who had increased intestinal permeability, one relapsed. CONCLUSIONS: Our findings show that zinc supplementation can resolve permeability alterations in patients with Crohn's disease in remission. Improving intestinal barrier function may contribute to reduce the risk of relapse in Crohn's disease.

Good article. It is nice to know that zinc actually does something in a controlled setting.

I am wondering how to dose zinc? I have read that you will get nauseated if you take too much. But that was not a reliable source.

I am thinking we may need more than the RDA which is usually super low for anything. But, I do not want to take far too much either.

Maybe I will check at the Hidradenitis site. There are people using zinc there for this related disease. I have not followed it for awhile, but maybe I should to see if it is helping anyone. If it helps them there may be a fair chance it will help some of us as well.

D Bergy

I once went to a naturepath and he said that we with Crohn's need to take extra Zinc, Magnesium and B vitamines. I thought he was a wack, as he put me on a machine and it showed I had deficiency in these vitmaines and minerals !!!!

Anyway I take a multi with 100% RDA , but I don't think it's enough. I think of taking additionaly one I found which has Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc together. I've read in a lot of places that people with Crohn's may be defecient in these minerals.

But we have to be careful of the dosing, especially Zinc as I think it cna be toxic in high levels, and needs doctor supervision. I think for males it's recommended to take 30 mg (twice the RDA). Also if you take extra Zinc, you need to take extra Copper....

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
I agree completely about the deficiency side of things but as you have both said it can also be easy to overdose when trying to supplement and therefore can be a minefield trying to figure out what to take etc.

I have gone through things with my dietitian and the senior pharmacist whilst in hospital a few weeks back. My GP has now put me on a multivit with minerals included which the pharmacist told me is very high quality and the best there is... I do notice a difference having been on it over a month now so must have had depletion in some areas. The multivit is called Forceval and is just one a day.

Will be interested to see what you come up with on the Zinc front guys and also from the HS aspect too D Bergy.

Jan

O

old hat

The US RDA is actually set around 30-50% higher (two standard deviations) than most people need. For the vast majority of people, these amounts are more than enough. The idea that the RDA is set too low has mainly been pushed by companies or individuals that sell vitamins to increase the perceived need for their products.

Excess Zinc can cause nausea, abdominal and diarrhea as well as headache or immune system impairmen. It also has a serious, adverse effect on copper metabolism. Tolerable upper limit for Zinc intake is around 40mg/per or around 2 1/3 times the recommended daily value. Taking too much Zinc, especially over a long period, can cause serious problems. 1 50mg tablet per day is plenty especially if you are also taking a multi-vitamin with Zinc in it.

O

old hat

Mazen said:
I once went to a naturepath and he said that we with Crohn's need to take extra Zinc, Magnesium and B vitamines. I thought he was a wack, as he put me on a machine and it showed I had deficiency in these vitmaines and minerals !!!!
You were right to think so. This sort of electrodiagnostic device (and there are many out there) is worthless. There is a bewildering array of these gadgets and they are all rubbish. That this guy used one is a bad sign. Unfortunately, this sort of thing is fairly common in Naturopathic practice.

F

footballyears

old hat said:
Another quite preliminary but interesting study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11383597&dopt=Citation
Zinc supplementation tightens "leaky gut" in Crohn's disease.
OBJECTIVES: Small intestinal permeability is often increased in patients with Crohn's disease and may be pathogenic for clinical relapses. No effective prophylactic treatment is available for these patients. The aim of this study was to ascertain whether zinc supplementation may improve intestinal permeability. METHODS: We studied 12 patients with quiescent Crohn's disease who had been in remission for at least 3 months and had increased intestinal permeability on two separate occasions within the last 2 months. Patients received oral zinc sulfate supplements (110 mg three times a day) for 8 weeks and were followed-up for 12 months thereafter to monitor relapses. RESULTS: We found that the lactulose/mannitol ratio was significantly higher before supplementation than after (0.041 +/- 0.003 versus 0.026 +/- 0.005). During follow-up, 10 patients had normal intestinal permeability and did not relapse; of the remaining two who had increased intestinal permeability, one relapsed. CONCLUSIONS: Our findings show that zinc supplementation can resolve permeability alterations in patients with Crohn's disease in remission. Improving intestinal barrier function may contribute to reduce the risk of relapse in Crohn's disease.
i havce head that zinc helps

I've heard about zinc from 2 different GI doctors...Not a home run but it helps! but be sure to one that also has copper..zinc can lower copper or a friend of mine said just a take low dose copper once a week with Zinc

Took my son to a Chinese Herbalist (with doctor certification in China). He recommended 25 mg of zinc, and said that was conservative (probably referencing the study at the beginning of this thread in which 110 mg were used.

You need to be tested for zinc before you supplement. Many people who live in areas with an old water supply system (where the zinc can leak from zinc pipes), or where there are deposits of zinc in the ground, get sufficient zinc from their drinking water. And excess zinc is toxic. So always get tested before making the decision to supplement. (Sorry, I've repeated myself, but only because it is most important.)

Thanks @Susan2 In our case my son has low zinc per lab tests (below the bottom end of the recommended range) - something that his normal GI doctor didn't remark on, but the naturopaths and herbalists note.

I agree that it is important to know where you are on various levels.

Thanks @Susan2 In our case my son has low zinc per lab tests (below the bottom end of the recommended range) - something that his normal GI doctor didn't remark on, but the naturopaths and herbalists note.

I agree that it is important to know where you are on various levels.
:thumright:

sorry to resurrect the dead here--anyone been monitoring their zinc supplementation and noting results? Do you make sure to take some copper as well?

I wonder--with the proper supplementation of a number of vitamins and minerals, does it accomplish a potent effect? Something just as potent as these hard hitting drugs (remicade, humira)?

For ex., all your vitamin b's, magnesium, zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d--whatever else you are deficient in. Compound that effort with green tea extract, ginger, turmeric (anti-inflammatories), maybe even vaporize weed if you are comfortable with that occasionally. To top it off, lay off the gluten, popcorn, seeds, [insert other offenders] and take some kind of powerful probiotics (that are still affordable). I wonder how powerful the effects would be. You don't see too many members try all these things in combination at a point where their crohn's is not too severe.

I wish I could try all this and test it, but soon I'll either have surgery or remicade and if I do achieve remission, won't be able to say its my regimen or the drugs.

Anyone out there want to give it a shot?

yesss!! My ortomolecular Doctor used in higher dosis combined with other vitamins and minerals and everything stayed under control.
:ylol2::ylol2:
I still take a mix of vitamins that worked for me. I am alergic to magnesium and the reaction envolves headackes.
I know that is always bether to meet a doctor that can identify what is missing in your body and knows how they work together.
Anyways any vitamin that you can get the intestin does not absorve much. So I buy vitamins that come in a combo, give preference for natural and organic. Notmally its about 5 different every day. Much better then the ones you need a recepe to by

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I have my son supplement to deficiencies and then maintain levels at the mid to high of the normal reference range. He is supplemented in B12, Vit D, Magnesium and Zinc and serum levels are taken every 3 months. He also takes Turmeric.

I can’t say how these supplements impact on his disease activity as surgery occurred very early on in his diagnosis and this regimen was commenced after the surgery and in a time of remission. He has remained in remission since his surgery 3 years ago.

My daughter also uses various supplements but she is independent in her health care so I am not sure of what she is doing. She too has had surgery but hers was what led to her diagnosis so she had no treatments whatsoever prior to it. Again her regimen was commenced post surgery and in a state of remission. Her surgery was 8 years ago and she has been in remission for all that time.

Dusty. xxx

nogutsnoglory

I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone finds zinc supplements to help with fatigue? This is one of the supplements I haven't tried outside of a multi and maybe it's time.

I have been on 50 mg of Zinc for almost four years. I used to also have to take potassium. The rest of my stuff is on my sig. My fatigue comes and goes. Right now I'm in a tired phase, but that's probably because it's summer and I'm overdoing stuff in my garden. Have you had your potassium level tested?

nogutsnoglory

I believe it was tested last I was in the hospital and it was normal. I have been battling severe fatigue for years and am always looking for solutions.