• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Zophran and Constipation

Lynda Lynda

Can low doses of Zophran cause severe constipation ? I recently started taking a low dose of Zophran as prescribed by my GI office because I had been feeling nauseated. I am so severely constipated now the past week I cannot have a BM without pushing really, really hard. Could a low dose of Zophran cause this much constipation. I am going to stop taking the Zophran today and start taking Miralax once a day. This constipation is not at all normal for me, I normally have diarrhea ! I am very confused why my symptoms are changing so drastically in such a short time.
[ I have Crohn's and am currently in a Crohn's flare.]

my little penguin

Staff member
My crohns kiddo who has constipation as part of his crohns
Refuses to use more than one dose of zofran
Because it makes his constipation much worse
He has been on daily miralax for 11-12 years
Even when on zofran … so probably not a good example

Lynda Lynda

My crohns kiddo who has constipation as part of his crohns
Refuses to use more than one dose of zofran
Because it makes his constipation much worse
He has been on daily miralax for 11-12 years
Even when on zofran … so probably not a good example
I stopped taking the Zophran 24 hours ago. I had asked my doctor for it because I was feeling naseau every morning, it wasn't anything overwhelming. Starting tonight I am going to take Miralax each evening from now on and eat liquid / soft foods. My normal Crohn's symptoms are diarrhea, so my change from diarrhea to severe constipation is puzzling. The only change in my food / medications /life-style has been the Zophran.

Last edited: