• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blurred vision on Methotrexate

Hi, I have been on Methotrexate for about 3 years now for Crohns disease. Something I have noticed is I take my Methotrexate on Wednesday late afternoon, and come Sunday I develop blurred vision which last 2 to 3 days. I feel it is getting worse and seems to be lasting longer. Anyone else have this problem and is this a common side effect of the drug. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Somerthing I found online:

Methotrexate-related ocular toxicities consist of peri-orbital edema, ocular pain, blurred vision, photophobia, conjunctivitis, blepharitis, decreased reflex tear secretion and non-arteritic ischemic optic neuropathy.
The optic neuropathy has been linked to folate deficiency, either nutritional or genetic. Folate supplementation when co-administered with methotrexate, minimizes its adverse effects and may therefore prevent the development of optic neuropathy. In addition, when this condition is recognized, the nerve damage can be reversed if methotrexate is stopped and appropriate folate supplementation is administered promptly.

I would suggest you start taking folate supplements if you aren't already? I know a lot of people take them with this medication.

Make sure to let your doctor know, you may need to stop this med.

Thanks eleanor_ rigby for your reply, I am taking folate 5mg for the following 2 days after the methotrexate dose. I was interested to see if anyone else has this problem. I am seeing my GI in about 3 weeks so I will have a chat to him about the blurred vision, its taken me a long time to see a pattern of when this vision starts to go funny. Thanks again for your input, hope you are well. Terry.