• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

C-Diff anyone?

My small flair that started in November has now become complicated by C-Diff:ymad: I have been given vancomycin to take. Anyone got any experience on how long it will take to work? I'm 2 days in with no relief.
Whoops!

It can take a couple of days to a week more. I have had it five times, with some rounds in the hospital for days. I have taken flagyl, cipro, vancomycin, and Difficid for it to settle down, with a six week taper. Be patient...it takes a bit! Hope you feel better soon.

I know exactly how you feel! :( All my drs are cautious in giving antibiotics now because of it being recurrent. It is a yucky infection that is stubborn to get rid of!

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter has CDiff for the second time. She is also on Vancomycin - it's been four days and she's not better yet. Last time it took about a week I think.

Good luck! CDiff is the worst!

Day 8 of vancomycin..... still going 30+ times a day feeling very dehydrated, not able to eat anything solid & 8lb down. Living on Gatorade, pops ice, jello & broth. Burned up all my pto time at work, so now have to cancel my already paid for vacation (company policy that pto has to used before sick time kicks in) have a GI appt tomorrow and hope he does SOMETHING coz this is getting very old!
Sorry for the rant... just feeling exhausted, angry & hopeless

Day 8 of vancomycin..... still going 30+ times a day feeling very dehydrated, not able to eat anything solid & 8lb down. Living on Gatorade, pops ice, jello & broth. Burned up all my pto time at work, so now have to cancel my already paid for vacation (company policy that pto has to used before sick time kicks in) have a GI appt tomorrow and hope he does SOMETHING coz this is getting very old!
Sorry for the rant... just feeling exhausted, angry & hopeless
No problem. I hope you feel better soon.

I was in hospital for two weeks with C Diff. From memory, another two weeks recovering at home, then two weeks of reduced work hours when I went back to work. It took about three months to feel ok again. It really knocked the stuffing out of me.
I hope you feel better soon. It's bloody awful, and then you live with fear of its return!
I was on the Vanco fro a very long time after - my GI was very cautious.

Thanks for all the support. My last dose of Vanco is today. Seen my GI yesterday, he seems to think that the c-diff is gone and that I have another infection on top of it. I am not so sure. Did blood work and stool samples yesterday. Have still been going to bathroom a lot. Got two bags of fluids yesterday as I was dehydrated. Hope to have some results by Tuesday.
Thanks again for all the support.