• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it internal bleeding?

This may sound dumb, but how do you know if it is internal bleeding or not in your stool? I am newly diagnosed with Crohns. My diarrhea has stopped (I think I might be constipated) and am back to solid stool. I have been having a ton of pain and symptoms, and today noticed that even though I had solid stool the water in the toilet was dark mahogany/brown at the bottom where I couldn’t see the bottom of the bowl, but the top of the water was clear. There also appeared to be black specks in my stool. Is this bleeding? Should I be concerned? I’m not dizzy or anything.

Well in my experience when its Black in the stools you are digesting it as in [your stomach[ as in I and other swith crohns have RED fill toilet water which means its coming from the intestinal walls ,,not digested you could have a bad ulcer in stomach too.....

Lady Organic

Staff member
The color of blood you see can actually indicate where the bleeding might be coming from.
  • Bright red blood usually means bleeding that’s low in your colon or rectum.
  • Dark red or maroon blood can mean that you have bleeding higher in the colon or in the small bowel.
  • Melena (dark and tar-like stool) often points to bleeding in the stomach, such as bleeding from ulcers.
from:https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal... or maroon blood,such as bleeding from ulcers.