• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Modulen?

Anyone have any experience with Modulen? I am going through a mild flare right now and thinking of trying this out. How is it used? Is it better than just a protein shake like ensure?

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds was on the US version peptamen jr
Modulen abd peptamen are semi elemental formula
Which means the protein chains are broken down or broken apart

polymeric formula (ensure boost etc) are not broken down but easier than solid food to absorb

semi elemental formula peptamen modulen etc are Broken down and easier than polymeric

elemental is completely bRoken down to amino acids so you only need a few inches of healthy intestine
Elemental such as vionex E028 splash neocate etc typically require a nasogastric tube
Ds drank his orally

As far as EEN most studies have shown that it doesn’t matter if the patient uses polymeric ,semi elemental or elemental formula
The only thing that matters is formula only
No solid foods for 6 to 8 weeks in kids
You need to ask your Gi for the time frame for adults
And what version they recommend

good luck

I had very positive experiences with modulen. After my crohn’s onset at 16 I used if for months, as i was to young for steroids, and it helped me to heal.
Few years ago I used it again as meal replacement to regain strength and trust in my bowel...
The only issue is that taste is not good. My trick was to avoid breathing through my nose when drinking it to not feel the smell.

I had very positive experiences with modulen. After my crohn’s onset at 16 I used if for months, as i was to young for steroids, and it helped me to heal.
Few years ago I used it again as meal replacement to regain strength and trust in my bowel...
The only issue is that taste is not good. My trick was to avoid breathing through my nose when drinking it to not feel the smell.
Lol. Thank you for the advice. May try to supplement.