• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story: Tired of Remicade, wondering about safe Cannabis use

I'm new to the forum. I was diagnosed with Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis (they haven't decided which) 3 years ago. After a few months I was put on Remicade. Since then, I've slowly needed increased doses/shorter infusion intervals. It seems like this drug won't last.

I'm interested in trying cannabis. I've seen some promising research on it, but have seen little practical advice. I'm wondering, in particular, if there is a way to take cannabis for Crohn's and avoid getting high. My job requires me to think clearly and on my feet, and while an occasional high is ok, getting high regularly is out of the question.

I smoke marijuana a few times a week, and it really helps me with my Crohn's symptoms. I have never been a marijuana smoker, but I find that it helps with nausea, pain and it helps bring back my appetite when I don't feel like eating. I don't think that you can get the effects of marijuana without the "high". I don't encourage smoking if you are working/driving or doing anything that would put you at risk of injuring yourself. But I don't see anything wrong with smoking on your personal time at home.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community :)

Hopefully your newest dose/interval of Remicade works the trick for a long time. I'm of the opinion that medical marijuana is a fantastic supplemental treatment option for Crohn's disease. I personally wouldn't recommend that be the only thing you're on, but instead, go on it as part of a broader treatment regimen.

We have a medical marijuana subforum under our Treatment section. I suggest you ask for further advice there.

All my best to you.

I've been on Revelex or Remicade for about 2 years now and it seems to be working well . I am 16 years old and have crohns disease . I was wondering if anyone had any information about the use of cannabis and Remicade. My gastroenterologist said that I may not drink as my liver is already under stress due to the Remicade and he said smoking would make the Remicade stop working but I think he meant cigarettes. I enjoy smoking weed for recreational use with my friends but I was wondering if smoking cannabis while on Remicade does actually stop the Remicade from working.
Thanks

The analgesic effects of high THC cannabis will help with the pain of IBD. But studies of its supposed anti-inflammatory effects have all failed in human patients, with both low and high THC cannabis.

I wouldn't advise smoking ANYTHING. You'll feel a lot better if you maintain decent lung capacity instead of gunking them up.

David

Co-Founder
The analgesic effects of high THC cannabis will help with the pain of IBD. But studies of its supposed anti-inflammatory effects have all failed in human patients, with both low and high THC cannabis.
Could you please link to some of these studies?

Thanks.

I believe that I will be able to cope with my disease. But sometimes, there is an irresistible desire to forget a little in a sweet fog. How can I cope with it?