• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Formulation of Humira

Hi All,

Has everyone received the letter explaing the reformulation of Humira and the removal of Citrate? It should be just as effective with less liquid and the removal of the ingredients that make it sting.

Fingers cross for the new supply of them.

I read that they had a new formulation out, but were testing it over seas. All i remember is that it was going to have a different PH and it was going to help with the pain.

Tony H

I live in Ireland and have just taken the new formulation for the third time today and can confirm it is painless , the pen injects faster and there is no pain whatsoever , the injection site is a little sore afterwards but the pain has gone .

I just took my bi-weekly shot yesterday and I have noticed that the last few times have been easier and less painful. They were never terrible, but now are even less so.

I'm taking the new formula in Ireland the last two months.

It's definitely much less painful you can barely feel the injection now, first time I took it I couldn't feel anything at taught the pen was a dud.

I do notice a few hives around the injection site now but they disappear after a few hours after injecting.

If the new formula is not available in the US, I'm either getting more used to the stick, or it's the power of suggestion. After several years, during the last month or two the shots somehow haven't felt the same.

If the new formula is not available in the US, I'm either getting more used to the stick, or it's the power of suggestion. After several years, during the last month or two the shots somehow haven't felt the same.

I haven't had any pain either the last month or so I've noticed. I take it in the thigh at that.

I can relate with those using the standard pens and having little to no pain. I injected just yesterday and literally had no pain. I would have thought the pen didn't work if I didn't see a tiny drop of blood on my thigh.

I have not received the letter regarding the new formulation. Can someone post it here? Or as an attachment? Anyone know why it was changed?

I don't have the letter but the reason for the change is an effort to make the injections less painful. It's something about lowering the pH to help with that if I remember correctly

I have used about four of the new pens and cannot feel a thing. It does make you think you have not injected yourself - thank god for the yellow bar!

Re: the letter. I did have it but threw it away after two shots. It came about four weeks before they sent me the new formulation. All I can remember was that it said about the pens are slightly smaller, have less liquid and that the citrate had been removed (which was the bit that causes the pain).

:highfive:

Any update on when this new formula will be available in the USA and is there any name change or something we should ask for?