• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recently Diagnosed with Crohn's

I am 22 year old female, diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Crohn's and started taking budesonide today. I'm feeling anxious about taking budesonide as I've read a lot of mixed reviews online and worried about the whole weight gain aspect of it. Generally the whole diagnosis has got me feeling down, i feel like i can't talk to any of my friends about it as its personal and not extremely pleasant to talk about. I'm usually very outgoing and sociable, in my 3rd year of university, but recently i just want to be isolated and don't want to go out in public much with the fear of having to use the bathroom.

In a total rut and need help to get out of it. Please help.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Hi ggk93

It can seem overwhelming after being diagnosed with IBD. There are many who attend University,it may seem daunting right now,but you can do it. Have you checked out this support group? http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=57196 for those with IBD in there twenties. Here is another one for education http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=64614. Perhaps these may help .

Do you have any faculty at University you can confide in? Perhaps a University nurse? You definitely are not alone. A good thing about being diagnosed is now you,along with your doctor,can form a plan that best suits you.I urge you to contact your doctor if you have any questions and concerns,communication is a good thing.

I'm glad you found the forum,lots of great people and a font of information. Feel free to contact me.

Register with the accommodation services for students with disabilities at your college. It will come very handy when you do not feel good or if you need to move a test date, also will let you use the bathroom or be late among other things. I assure you it will get better once you find the right medicine to work for you. Sending Hugs and Support.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. I would also suggest discussing your concerns with your doctor. They may be able to alter your treatment plan in a manner that leaves you more comfortable with the direction you are taking.

I wish you well. We're here for you anytime you need us!