• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Severe insect bite allergy from crohns

Hey everyone, it's been a couple of years since I was here and I'm going to spend some time catching up and reading back posts! :D

I've been ill with a severe allergic reaction to insect bites that saw me break out in blisters, welts and other ugly stuff. Had a biopsy that confirmed it was an insect bite reaction. Have slowly gotten better but still getting big and sporadic sores like flat blisters coming up. This has been going on for the past 6 months and my summer was a mess...ugh.

Because my immune system went into overdrive with this I'm likely going to be experiencing these flareups for some time to come according to my dermatologist so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to cope with this aside from cortisone cream and strong antihistimines. I'm not going to take oral cortisone so that's out.

I get some relief from cortisone cream, tea tree oil, sorbolene cream and various other lotions but it's the ongoing care of this that concerns me now. I can't wear trousers because the affliction is in the nether regions as the last place of pressure. The 'blisters' become like pressure sores if I sit all day or wear trousers...ugh.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Lisa
from sunny winter in OZ :)

Hey cagfire I hope you start to feel better soon. I hope that you don't flare up in the Crohn's department from this. Try to stay as stress free as possible. So you know what kind of insect bit you. Best of luck

I do not know of anything specifically that will help. Anything of an antioxidant nature may help. Green Tea, Fish Oil, Turmeric, etc. There are many others.

Vitamin C is also mentioned in a few places, but I do not know how much it would take to have an effect.

I would just slam some Benadryl, but it is an antihistamine. It may be better than having your immune system fired up for no productive reason.

Are you still suffering from a past bite, or is it an ongoing problem of being bit repeatedly?

Dan

I should have mentioned that I had the original bites back in 07, around Oct/Nov and got medical treatment around Nov/Dec so the flare ups are now my immune system over reacting to what should have been a mild allergic response as I'm not still being bitten. I take a large dose of antihistimines morning/night to cope with the constant irritation and I also use a topical cortisone cream 1-2 times a day in addition. I sometimes have to take a mild sleeping tablet to stop myself scratching at night. I drink orange juice every day. I get a B12 injection every month. I eat well but I am tired from driving an hour each way to work. This past summer was hell and my arms, legs and back were covered in blisters and I'm pretty much clear of those now but I'm worried about having to take antihistimines for such a long time (been over 6 months now) and I was hoping that someone might have something more natural I could try?

Here is some stuff I found that could help a little bit. It's a little late so I'll look up some more tomorrow.

What to eat to eliminate some allergies

* Lots of water
* Fruit juices, except citrus
* All vegetables except corn & tomatoes
* Brown or white rice
* Turkey
* White Fish: halibut, sole, swordfish (no shellfish)
* Almonds, walnuts or sunflower seeds

Nutritional help for allergies

* Vitamin C and bioflavonoids, Vitamins A & E, and Zinc
* Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA)
* Enzymes
* Intestinal detoxification: good colon cleansing products that contain high fiber
* Garlic, as fresh as possible
* Cayenne pepper

I don't know if that will help but hopefully it's a start.

My cool mate Jeff...thanks for all that info...I'll go home and read the links and start to digest the info you've given me here! It's been a while since I last posted here (where have the past two years gone???). You seem to be having your own issues and yet you still found the time to help a poor aussie gal...*big hugs mate*

Ciao meow amigo

Kev

hey Lisa... good to have you back.. Time sure flies when you're having fun, right?

and speaking of flies, understand there are some nasty bugs way down under. I hope it wasn't one of those that got you. All the best, take care, okay?

Kev said:
hey Lisa... good to have you back.. Time sure flies when you're having fun, right?

and speaking of flies, understand there are some nasty bugs way down under. I hope it wasn't one of those that got you. All the best, take care, okay?

Hey Kev, they don't know what bit me but it sure has had a nasty impact. Been suffering today with another flare up of them and I'm heading off back to the dermatologist asap to see what can be done (if anything).

Cheers
Lisa