• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sibling Possibly Diagnosed

Hi All,
My brother has been struggling with symptoms off and on for the last couple of years. Endoscopy and Colonoscopy as well as CRP and fecal cal have all been normal however some mild inflammation in the small intenstine (I'm assuming the jejunum or ileum like mine) showed up twice on MRI and after pushing his GI due to feeling so poorly, he was finally given Pentasa to try even though the GI was hesitant to make a for sure diagnosis. Going on the fact that I have IBD as well as our Uncle and possibly my Great-Grandmother and Grandmother do you guys think that this is early Crohn's? With it being in the small intestine I know that it could be possible to have a normal fecal cal. I know my brother has been hoping for answers as he never feels well, especially around times of stress.

@my little penguin No he hasn't but it wouldn't be a bad idea. To be honest, his GI and GP don't seem that competent. I would agree with them saying its IBS except that IBS doesn't cause inflammation as far as I know but correct me if I'm wrong. Any ideas on what else might cause inflammation to show up on two MRI's- same spot?

Last edited:

Scipio

@my little penguin No he hasn't but it wouldn't be a bad idea. To be honest, his GI and GP don't seem that competent. I would agree with them saying its IBS except that IBS doesn't cause inflammation as far as I know but correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct. By definition IBS is non-inflammatory.

And my ileal Crohn's was finally diagnosed via capsule camera endoscopy when scopes and lab tests for inflammation were all normal.