• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Your Diet... Triggers versus Safe/Healing Foods?

Hey Crohnies,

Has anyone felt that they were able to find foods or a diet that healed them?

I know that Crohn's and UC cannot be healed, and that diet alone cannot be expected to quell a flare. HOWEVER, numerous studies show that a variety of diets actually can bring people into remission faster than placebo (this would include the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, Autoimmune Protocol Diet, Low Residue (AKA Fiber) Diet, and the Fasting-Mimicking Diet), and some diets (Semi-Vegetarian Diet) have been showed to keep people in remission better than placebo. Additionally, numerous people online claim that they have healed their IBD gut using fermented foods, or by consuming raw milk, etc. etc. etc.

Have you identified a healing diet for yourself, and if so, how did you decide which foods to start with and which to abstain from? I am a vegan, and I believe that we should all, ideally, be consuming high-fiber diets with plenty of antioxidants, phytonutrients, etc. which can only be found by eating a variety fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, and some supplementation each and every day. I personally feel that this type of diet has objective science showing it is the best diet. So, for me to diverge from this diet all because I am in a low-grade flare seems to be nonsense and I don't know where to start. This week, I started by eating exclusively avocadoes, sauerkraut, coconut yogurt, grapes, and bananas. But I'm getting so hungry; I'm getting no protein; and the last two days I've been eating more normally and feeling better! This diet+ Crohn's thing is WILD and I don't like it one bit.

I think, for myself, that gluten/alcohol may be triggers? As well as grains(?)maybe... but I've had all these foods in times of remission and they were not problematic at all. I think this disease must be playing tricks on me.

Hello and nice to get a post from a Vegan on this carnivorous planet. It's a lot easier to be vegetarian or fishytarian (fish added) which I do from time to time. I'm thinking of a new career in comedy now there are millions on the dole queue in Britain. Squeeky clean and child friendly. Your Crohn's may mean adding cruelty free protein to your diet to keep up muscle mass and strength. Bio live yoghurt every day, free range eggs, pure honey, quorn and cutting back on junk and proceeded foods. There is no cure, just treatments but that applies to other conditions like MS, arthritis and asthma.
We have to be kind to ourselves as we suffer daily. Take care.

Hey Crohnies,

Has anyone felt that they were able to find foods or a diet that healed them?

I know that Crohn's and UC cannot be healed, and that diet alone cannot be expected to quell a flare. HOWEVER, numerous studies show that a variety of diets actually can bring people into remission faster than placebo (this would include the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, Autoimmune Protocol Diet, Low Residue (AKA Fiber) Diet, and the Fasting-Mimicking Diet), and some diets (Semi-Vegetarian Diet) have been showed to keep people in remission better than placebo. Additionally, numerous people online claim that they have healed their IBD gut using fermented foods, or by consuming raw milk, etc. etc. etc.

Have you identified a healing diet for yourself, and if so, how did you decide which foods to start with and which to abstain from? I am a vegan, and I believe that we should all, ideally, be consuming high-fiber diets with plenty of antioxidants, phytonutrients, etc. which can only be found by eating a variety fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, and some supplementation each and every day. I personally feel that this type of diet has objective science showing it is the best diet. So, for me to diverge from this diet all because I am in a low-grade flare seems to be nonsense and I don't know where to start. This week, I started by eating exclusively avocadoes, sauerkraut, coconut yogurt, grapes, and bananas. But I'm getting so hungry; I'm getting no protein; and the last two days I've been eating more normally and feeling better! This diet+ Crohn's thing is WILD and I don't like it one bit.

I think, for myself, that gluten/alcohol may be triggers? As well as grains(?)maybe... but I've had all these foods in times of remission and they were not problematic at all. I think this disease must be playing tricks on me.
I'm new to this so I haven't got a helpful reply, but I'll be following this thread with interest. In my first flare, I couldn't tolerate much at all - most veggies seemed to be out, except for bananas and the occasional skinless sweet potato. Tbh nothing really seemed to suit me, so I just cut nearly everything out and lived on bananas, white rice, white fish, white bread, occasional sweet potato, actimel, occasional live yoghurt, manuka honey & probiotics. It wasn't for that long though and I couldn't do that long term. I missed my veg as much as chocolate, etc! We grow our own veg too so it felt mean to miss out on our lovely summer produce that I'd worked to hard to grow. I find it hard to fathom out what agrees with me when I'm in a flare as I'm constantly inflamed, etc. Thanks for the useful question, I'll be watching everyone's replies, although I'm already learning that everyone's bodies have different good and bad foods with this disease.

Hello, some people recommend a liquid diet only or a fast to give the digestive system time to heal. Personally, I've never tried it as my stomach starts grumbling very loudly after a few hours. Eating late at night is not recommended. I find Rich Tea and Digestive Biscuits with bio yoghurts and honey a nice breakfast or snack.

This is the type of question that if you ask a hundred different people, you're likely to get a hundred different answers. I'll try to describe my own experience, so here goes. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary....

I never identified any particular "trigger" foods. That is, foods that would send me into a flare. That said, over the years I did learn to identify foods that would make me feel worse if I ate them while experiencing any symptoms. The big one was beef in any form, whether it be a steak, sandwich, or even in a soup or sauce. I learned that if I ate beef or any beef product, I was guaranteed to have at least a whole day and night of misery. Other foods that fit into this category for me were just about any dairy product, raw leafy vegetables, eggs (unless they were cooked to the point of almost being burned), and just about anything overly greasy. I also had to be careful with yogurt - I could tolerate it once or twice a week, but any more and it would make me sick. No one was ever able to figure out that one.