• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice please

Hi! I started suffering with bowel inflammation & a lot of mucus excretion after a course of clindamycin antibiotics following a cycling accident in August 2020. I lost about 20lbs, had some diarrhoea, but mostly it was just mucus (small amount of blood) and undigested food. Stools then improved and were more or less normal, but mucus excretion continued - often that's all I would pass. Stool samples & blood results were fine (incl c diff), other than calprotectin which was over 600. I had a ct scan which was fine, although apparently they they couldn't see that clearly as I was a bit lean. I was referred to gastro, but when they phoned in November, I felt that things were starting to settle down, so they put it down to ibd due to the antibiotics and that was that. I've now had another flare up, starting just before Xmas. I annoyingly had to go on antibiotics again after a dog bite at the beginning of December (just standard antibiotics this time) so I'm hoping it may just be down to that, but I'm concerned this is now going to be a lifelong problem. Both times it's been a few weeks after finishing the antibiotics, the first time started with massive full body rash, so classic autoimmune reaction to the antibiotics. This time round it's different - I can tell & feel my bowel is v inflamed with some pain and some cramping. However, no mucus, no diarrhoea - if anything, my stools are a bit too firm, which normally I'd be quite pleased about as I've always been a bit loose. I'm nervous about bleeding as I'm on warfarin for anti phospholipid syndrome - I've been on it for over 20yrs after 2 blood clots. I'm 43yrs now. Last time I found cutting out fibre helped with the mucus, but it's different this time so I'm not sure what's best. I have read a bit about the fodmaps diet, but unsure as it seems like a big step to take. I've been taking high strength manuka honey twice/day and cytoplan probiotics last thing at night. After reading a little about everyone's side effects from meds, I'm loathe to take anything, especially after my reactions to antibiotics and possible interactions with warfarin. Any recommendations or advice appreciated! Interested in CBD oil too, including links (if they're allowed) as I was confused when I looked online! Sorry for the lengthy post. I will contact my dr or gastro dr in the new year if I feel I need to, but I'm nervous of getting the ball rolling and know the NHS is struggling enough with the covid situation. I realise that my symptoms are not nearly as bad as some of yours - this has really opened my eyes to how bad some of you have it! I am still scared though as I feel so wrong inside! Tia!

Honey

Staff member
Discuss your concerns with your Consultant when you speak to him. Don't worry too much . Be aware of the foods that irritate it and leave them out.. I found that cream, rich sauces on food and gravy could result in diarrhoea the next day. Also., rich fruit cake which I am enjoying during this season. I just love Christmas cake with Royal Icing!! I have to say, it is not stopping me from enjoying it at the moment!
So, keep well and take care.

Discuss your concerns with your Consultant when you speak to him. Don't worry too much . Be aware of the foods that irritate it and leave them out.. I found that cream, rich sauces on food and gravy could result in diarrhoea the next day. Also., rich fruit cake which I am enjoying during this season. I just love Christmas cake with Royal Icing!! I have to say, it is not stopping me from enjoying it at the moment!
Thanks Honey! I'm currently hardly eating anything to try to calm it down as it's painful and feels very inflamed. I'm sticking to banana & yoghurt at the mo! So strange there's no diarrhoea or anything this time! I couldn't get an appointment til 5th Feb, so I guess I just have to hope it settles if I dont eat much and stick to bland, low fibre foods. 🤞

Sarah,

Welcome to the forum!

This the place, to discuss anything and everything

so happy you found it!

The members here are some of the most knowledgable and compassionate people you'll ever find.

There's no topic, no circumstance, no situation that at least one of us hasn't been through, and the folks here will help you wrap your head around almost anything

you *may* also find many answers just by searching

I spend a lot of time searching and reading over in the diet, fitness and supplement sub forums myself, as I prefer to work with Mother Nature rather than against the natural forces that your own body utilizes to find it's own balance

... everybody has their own ideas on things, (hell, the doctors dont even always agree!) ... but one thing is for sure ...

only you know you

If you feel a little "off", well that comes with digestive issues that come with ibd/ibs

... don't sweat it, it'll get better as you heal
... and you will heal

It may take a little time, but things will turn around

I know this because you are here, and you are asking for help

Just take things slow and easy, make sure you eat ... something ... as the digestive system is meant to digest,
and much like your grandmother used to say "the devil will find work for idle hands"
Without food / something to digest in your system, things will get wonky, that's for sure!

I started a food diary, and it's been one of the smartest things I've ever done
It allowed me to identify a few triggers, but more im;portantly, it helped me find foods I can tolerate even in a flare,
keeping the system busy and nutrition happenening has improved my situation significantly

By joining this forum and making your post, You've taken the most important step on the road back to finding your balance,

Check out the other section and subforums (especially the diet/fitness/supplement area)

Don't hesitate to ask about anything

... I can just about gaurantee that someone here will have some experience and will be willing to share it with you

Welcome aboard, and good luck on your journey!

Honey

Staff member
Enjoy the food that you like too! Small amounts frequently throughout the day helps rather than a big meal , leaving you feeling bloated and uncomfortable! Advice given to me by Consultant as I also have a Hiatus Hernia. Do not be too concerned about it. You will feel better . Look forward to a better year than this one has been for all of us! Best wishes.

Sarah,

Welcome to the forum!

so happy you found it!

The members here are some of the most knowledgable and compassionate people you'll ever find.

There's no topic, no circumstance, no situation that at least one of us hasn't been through, and the folks here will help you wrap your head around almost anything

I spend a lot of time searching and reading over in the diet, fitness and supplement sub forums myself, as I prefer to work with Mother Nature rather than against the natural forces that your own body utilizes to find it's own balance

... everybody has their own ideas on things, (hell, the doctors dont even always agree!) ... but one thing is for sure ...

only you know you

If you feel a little "off", well that comes with digestive issues that come with ibd/ibs

... and you will heal

Just take things slow and easy, make sure you eat ... something ... as the digestive system is meant to digest,
and much like your grandmother used to say "the devil will find work for idle hands"
Without food / something to digest in your system, things will get wonky, that's for sure!

It allowed me to identify a few triggers, but more im;portantly, it helped me find foods I can tolerate even in a flare,
keeping the system busy and nutrition happenening has improved my situation significantly

By joining this forum and making your post, You've taken the most important step on the road back to finding your balance,

Check out the other section and subforums (especially the diet/fitness/supplement area)

... I can just about gaurantee that someone here will have some experience and will be willing to share it with you

Sarah,

Welcome to the forum!

so happy you found it!

only you know you

... and you will heal

Thanks t-bone! Such a helpful reply and it's nice to find such a great support group. It's rather daunting thinking that this may be a long-term thing! I also hate the unknown - I dont know what's going on inside me and it scares me! I'm sure it will help the more I read others experiences. I did keep a food diary with my initial flare up, so I'll start that up again and keep it going this time. I'll definitely look through the sub-forums too at the diet, exercise & supplement threads. It's hard to find information in one place so this will be really helpful. Fingers crossed this flare up doesn't last as long as the last one! Thanks again & I hope you're keeping well. 🙂

Yeah, this the place!

I know exactly what you mean about the "not knowing"!
It's so frustrating to not know what the future is going to bring

One thing my Grandmother always used to say is;

worry is the interest we pay on our problems

I still think that's one of the best ways to put it that I've ever heard.

We are very lucky to be here,
so lucky to have a future,
so lucky to have choices/options

Why spend any of that time worrying?

... what will be ... will be ...

My Grandfather used to follow up on g'Ma's wise words with a few his own

His favorite expressions were;

Chance favors the prepared

and;
Make your own luck

... such wisdom in those words!

Post up any questions you have

... and search, search search!

There's so much information on this forum it's just incredible

You've got this, Sarah!

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum. Fecal calprotectine is an easy test that can reveal a lot. Hope you can have access to another test soon and if the number is high again, I hope you get a colonoscopy with biopsies this time, to clarify whats going on in your bowels. I would do the calpro and scoping first, if recommended, before stating any sort of personal treatment initiatives that may be unnecessary or that could mask your impressions or results. The symptoms and calpro result you had initially and now somewhat returning are concerning enough so I feel it would be best to rule out a simmering or mild IBD, with proper GI fallow up. Do not worry, you will not be a disturbance to the GI :)

Hi! I started suffering with bowel inflammation & a lot of mucus excretion after a course of clindamycin antibiotics following a cycling accident in August 2020. I lost about 20lbs, had some diarrhoea, but mostly it was just mucus (small amount of blood) and undigested food. Stools then improved and were more or less normal, but mucus excretion continued - often that's all I would pass. Stool samples & blood results were fine (incl c diff), other than calprotectin which was over 600. I had a ct scan which was fine, although apparently they they couldn't see that clearly as I was a bit lean. I was referred to gastro, but when they phoned in November, I felt that things were starting to settle down, so they put it down to ibd due to the antibiotics and that was that. I've now had another flare up, starting just before Xmas. I annoyingly had to go on antibiotics again after a dog bite at the beginning of December (just standard antibiotics this time) so I'm hoping it may just be down to that, but I'm concerned this is now going to be a lifelong problem. Both times it's been a few weeks after finishing the antibiotics, the first time started with massive full body rash, so classic autoimmune reaction to the antibiotics. This time round it's different - I can tell & feel my bowel is v inflamed with some pain and some cramping. However, no mucus, no diarrhoea - if anything, my stools are a bit too firm, which normally I'd be quite pleased about as I've always been a bit loose. I'm nervous about bleeding as I'm on warfarin for anti phospholipid syndrome - I've been on it for over 20yrs after 2 blood clots. I'm 43yrs now. Last time I found cutting out fibre helped with the mucus, but it's different this time so I'm not sure what's best. I have read a bit about the fodmaps diet, but unsure as it seems like a big step to take. I've been taking high strength manuka honey twice/day and cytoplan probiotics last thing at night. After reading a little about everyone's side effects from meds, I'm loathe to take anything, especially after my reactions to antibiotics and possible interactions with warfarin. Any recommendations or advice appreciated! Interested in CBD oil too, including links (if they're allowed) as I was confused when I looked online! Sorry for the lengthy post. I will contact my dr or gastro dr in the new year if I feel I need to, but I'm nervous of getting the ball rolling and know the NHS is struggling enough with the covid situation. I realise that my symptoms are not nearly as bad as some of yours - this has really opened my eyes to how bad some of you have it! I am still scared though as I feel so wrong inside! Tia!
Hello, a cycling accident and a dog bite, welcome to the "accident prone" club. In autumn 2019, I tripped down my stairs and twisted my ankle and it still feels weak a year later and I got bitten on the hand by a feral cat. Let's just say, I keep away from power tools. Problems with poo, too hard, too soft, mucus, wrong colour. I would suggest small meals throughout the day, no alcohol, curries or fried foods and lots of water and herbal teas with honey but not mint. Plenty of rest and no late nights. If you are in discomfort or worried, the 111 telephone and online NHS service is very good. I use it all the time.
Sarah,

Welcome to the forum!

so happy you found it!

only you know you

... and you will heal

Hello, like the positive attitude but t-bone refers to steak which is very hard to digest.
How about some nice steamed veggies instead ? A free range fluffy cheese omelette and chips ? I wish everyone a happy vegetarian New Year !

I don't think raisins do me any favours. I miss mince pies, but luckily I'm not a big fan of Christmas cake!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Fecal calprotectine is an easy test that can reveal a lot. Hope you can have access to another test soon and if the number is high again, I hope you get a colonoscopy with biopsies this time, to clarify whats going on in your bowels. I would do the calpro and scoping first, if recommended, before stating any sort of personal treatment initiatives that may be unnecessary or that could mask your impressions or results. The symptoms and calpro result you had initially and now somewhat returning are concerning enough so I feel it would be best to rule out a simmering or mild IBD, with proper GI fallow up. Do not worry, you will not be a disturbance to the GI :)
Thanks! I was going to wait to see the GI, but as it's not til Feb, when things may have settled down again, I may ask my GP for a repeat calpro test. Do you know if you can you still see the problems on a colonoscopy even if you're not in a flare up? You're quite right about not trying any alternative treatments until it's been investigated properly - I hadn't thought of that. I'll wait, although I'll keep going with my manuka honey & probiotics as I've been taking them for a good few months anyway. Thanks again! 🙂

Hello, a cycling accident and a dog bite, welcome to the "accident prone" club. In autumn 2019, I tripped down my stairs and twisted my ankle and it still feels weak a year later and I got bitten on the hand by a feral cat. Let's just say, I keep away from power tools. Problems with poo, too hard, too soft, mucus, wrong colour. I would suggest small meals throughout the day, no alcohol, curries or fried foods and lots of water and herbal teas with honey but not mint. Plenty of rest and no late nights. If you are in discomfort or worried, the 111 telephone and online NHS service is very good. I use it all the time.

Hello, like the positive attitude but t-bone refers to steak which is very hard to digest.
How about some nice steamed veggies instead ? A free range fluffy cheese omelette and chips ? I wish everyone a happy vegetarian New Year !
Thanks! Lots more helpful advice. Yes - I have indeed joined the accident-prone club! I shouldn't be allowed out! Both such freak accidents and I can't believe a simple, local, daily bike ride started this IBD stuff off. Sounds like you've had a similar time of it. We live on a smallholding and I must admit to have become mildly nervous of hurting myself when doing routine jobs, such as chopping my leg with the axe, instead of the log! 🤣 I'm normally pretty hardy, but the last 6 months have made me feel a little vulnerable! I'll follow you food advice and I am drinking loads of water. Interesting about the mint. Good advice about 111 too. I tend to sit and worry rather than ring for advice, but next time I'm really worried I'll make the call! 🙂

Lady Organic

Staff member
Great that you can ask your GP for a fecal calpro! I know some people who have struggled getting a diagnosis because of periods of remissions and flares. Anybody who suspects an IBD should ideally have a scope when symptoms are present. Sometimes even with no symptoms, a scope can catch a mild inflammation. Biopsies are precious and important as they can also catch inflammation not visible to the dr's eye.

... heh ...

it's actually my dogs name

"T-Bon"-e , (the "e" is for esquire)

Named by a seven year old

:)
Good name for a dog. I've been trying to get my elderly parents to get a dog for company, exercise and protection as they are in the countryside but they're not keen. They've been in self isolation since last March and although both over 75, still don't know when they'll be getting a vaccine. You have to be 85 or more in the UK to get it. It's like doing porridge when you've done no crime.