• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Alternative to Entocort?

My doc recently prescribed entocort for me in addition to the humi. But of course there's a problem. There's always a problem, right? @_@...It turns out, entocort is actually a really expensive drug or something. Apparently my insurance company randomly decided that they don't pay for entocort. And the pharmacy said that a month's supply costs over a thousand dollars. I was pretty surprised. It certainly didn't cost $1000 to shove the exact same chemical up my nose when I had allergy problems last spring, so I wonder why it's so much more expensive in a capsule. :S Anyway, now I guess I have to ask the doctor for some alternative to the entocort...Are there any similar, less expensive time-release steroid things out there? If not, are there any other meds that might work well with me while I'm on Humira?

From my understanding, the alternative is Pred :(

Entocort is expensive here too, but not that much! We have public health and get our meds for like $3.00 a prescription but Entocort isn't funded here unless you have some other serious conditions. Frustrating as I have had such bad effects from the Pred (really severe depression/anxiety etc) that if I need to go on steroids again I would have a HUGE battle to get entocort.
I am surprised at the price too as I have also put it up my nose and it cost very little!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I was on Entocort, 3 pills a day, and I know they are expensive but a thousand a month??? Mine were just over or about $300.00 a month, mind you that was years ago. The prednisone is the cheapest but not needed if you are on Humira. When I was on Humira, I wasnt on anything. My theory if it dont work, why be on such a risky drug. I ended up taking Humira weekly and wasnt working.

I know that combo's work but the combo you are on is expensive, Humira here is $700.00 a shot. I wished it worked for me, cause one needle a week is a piece of cake. Too bad your insurance wont pay for the Entocort, because it has less side effects and helps mild to moderate cases.

Has your doctor mentioned antibiotics? Just to help calm and wait for the Humira to work. Just wondering is all. When do you see your doc next?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I'm not sure, but I think budesonide is the generic version of Entocort. I would call the pharmacy and see how much that is, or if your insurance will cover it. They sometimes don't seem smart enough to suggest that.

I did find it online for purchase. I've never purchased meds online though. Just seems scary to me, but if I had to I would look into it more.
It says that you'll need a prescription, but you will have one, so that shouldn't be a problem.
The prices are-
Entocort 3mg (100 pills) $189.99 USD
Generic Alternative 3mg (50 pills) $69.99 USD
Generic Alternative 3mg (100 pills) $129.99 USD

My doc puts me on pred as opposed to Entocort. I was on it when I started Humira, and it brought me into a nice remission quickly.

I cannot believe how expensive the meds are in the US!!

Our dollar is about 50 US cents.

I had a look and found that Entocort costs $166.50 for 90 3mg pills which is about a montsh worth at the recommended 9mg daily dose for the first 8 weeks.

That, then is like $84 USD per month. Where do they get off charging thousands for it!!!???

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I know it makes you wonder huh? I am lucky for the insurance company we have, so far I havent had to pay for anything but I am not on alot of expensive stuff anymore, except the VSL #3. When it stops working then I will be richer but sicker.

Yes, Entocort is ridiculously expensive here--I paid $30 copay but saw on the actual receipt, the meds cost >$1000 at Wal-Mart pharmacy.

If this is just for short term until the Humira starts working, maybe Prednisone would work? I'm actually still on Entocort but only another week since I just started Humira.

My Butt Hurts said:
I'm not sure, but I think budesonide is the generic version of Entocort. I would call the pharmacy and see how much that is, or if your insurance will cover it. They sometimes don't seem smart enough to suggest that.
Unfortunately the pill form of budesonide, Entocort EC, is still under patent and therefore there is no generic equivalent available yet. The day the med goes generic will be the day all the uninsured crohnies get a lot better.

What surprises me is that you have insurance but they wont cover the drug. that's messed up!!

I think the doc just wanted me to try something more "lightweight" because I just got off the pred last week (was put on in late Oct., I think). And as soon as I got off it, I started feeling horrible again. Which I totally saw coming.

Jettalady said:
The prednisone is the cheapest but not needed if you are on Humira. When I was on Humira, I wasnt on anything. My theory if it dont work, why be on such a risky drug. I ended up taking Humira weekly and wasnt working.
That's good to know, at any rate... I haven't actually started the Humira yet, but at least it's good to know that it worked well as monotherapy for you, if the doc doesn't give me something besides the Entocort.

Of course, what with the cost of the stuff, I haven't even dropped off my prescription at the pharmacy yet. I'm waiting for my dad to figure things out with the insurance company on this one, haha. My doc used to have me try the antibiotics, but they never seem to do anything for me, so we just avoid them now. :(

MBH said:
I did find it online for purchase. I've never purchased meds online though. Just seems scary to me, but if I had to I would look into it more.
It says that you'll need a prescription, but you will have one, so that shouldn't be a problem.
The prices are-
Entocort 3mg (100 pills) $189.99 USD
Generic Alternative 3mg (50 pills) $69.99 USD
Generic Alternative 3mg (100 pills) $129.99 USD

My doc puts me on pred as opposed to Entocort. I was on it when I started Humira, and it brought me into a nice remission quickly.
Thanks for looking that up for me. I should call back and see if they were talking about brand name or generic. I wouldn't put it past them to not suggest the generic...Maybe going back on the pred wouldn't be a bad idea though, at least for now. While I'm waiting for this Humira business to get settled, and then while I'm waiting for it to kick in... Edit: Apparently the generic is unavailable anyway. Oh well. =/

Shaz said:
Where do they get off charging thousands for it!!!???
I'd like to know why it's so expensive myself...Really doesn't make sense to me. :S

Last edited:

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hey Procyon....Entocort is an upper tier med on my insurance. I don't think there is a generic delayed released formula, or they surely woudn't have let me have the Entocort. Here is some info put out by CCFA regarding people who need help with the cost of their crohn's medications. Each drug manufacturer is listed . Maybe see if the pharmaceutical company can help you out. Good luck.
http://www.needymeds.org/resourcepages/crohns_colitis.shtml

i just had generic for entocort prescribed today. with my insurance the copay is over $300. my insurance would pay over $600. I can not afford to pay the high copay. I called astrozenica the maker of the brand name med (entocort) they don't have any kind of assistance program available. they did however give me a number for a company that did. I called it and they don't have entocort on their list of meds. so they gave me 5 numbers to 5 other assistance programs. does anybody know of a rx assistance program here in the usa.?

Entocort comes in a generic form and is much cheaper. I only pay $10 copay for it.

If your GI wrote for Entocort on the Rx, ask him to state generic version. I've been on it for several years and am in remission.

I get the generic and BC of the cost I can only get 30 pills every refill. With my insurance if I go to walgreens its 15.00 but if I do the mail order(crazy insurance) its like 25.00 but I just got it refilled and I got one bottle with 85 and another with 35 and together it was 25.00 I've used both the generic and name brand and I can't tell and difference

Just went through the Entocort windmill myself last year.

Thank goodness my GI Doc's office was really used to the insurance runaround. They got it all straightened out with the insurance. Had to write an appeal to the company and go through the automatic denial process. Most insurance companies deny these drugs without going further until there is an appeal filed. Same thing happened with my Humira. It was all straightened out in about 2-3weeks.

Just a suggestion, but your Doc's office should be the one doing the fighting on your behalf also.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for this thread. I know it is old but I didn't think it was necessary to create a new one. Now I can get generic prednisone and entocort!

Lynda Lynda

All these posts are old.
But here is my input.

I will soon start on Stelara / Methotrexate / Folic Acid / Entocort EC.

The price of the Folic Acid and the Methotexate, with my Health Insurance Coverage, is very affordable at my Pharmacy.

The process of prior authorization with my Health Insurance Company for the Stelara just started today.
Even if the Stelara is approved by my Health Insurance Company, I do not yet know the cost that I would have to pay.
If it is too high of a price then I will not be able to use the Stelara.

My pharmacy just told me my 90 day supply of generic Entocort EC is $285.00.
I am poor.
Where do they think I am going to get $285.00.
I have another ( unrelated to my Crohn's management ) prescription to pick up this month and that prescription has cost $285 for a 90 day supply for years now.
The generic for Entocort is a Tier 4 on the Formulary Table.
Prednisone is Tier One and is free for a 90 day supply.

I am currently taking Humira and it is free through their Patient Assistance Program. I qualify for free Humira every year for 4 years now.

I looked online and the makers of Stelara have a Patient Assistance Program too.
The information for Stelara online for Crohn's treatment said "CLOSED", so I am assuming this means there is no assistance offered for the Stelara through the Patient Assistance Program for Janssen Pharmaceuticals for treatment of Crohn's Disease at this time.
It looks like there is a WAITLIST for assistance for a lot of the other uses of Stelara.

I was at the ER / Hospital in March and I have not received that Bill yet.
And don't know what my co-pay will be for my recent CT Enterography.

I don't know how people can afford medical expenses. I needed a lot of dental work done this year, a total of $6,000.
My sister paid for around $4,500 of that because I don't have $6,000.

This is depressing.

my little penguin

Staff member
Jansen has a carepath card
This means the copay pay is $5-25 dollars
Your Gi has to fill out the form once you call
It’s different than the patient assistance
It’s if you have insurance that covers it

We have used it for years to cover the high cost of Stelara copays after insurance

also look into different apps
RxSaver shows generic entocort ec and the price at all pharmacy in the area
No insurance required anywhere from $34-78 for 30 pills depending on the pharmacy so it pays to shop around

90 days it shows $88 dollars at one pharmacy with no insurance and up to $258 at the highest ( Walgreens) without insurance
Please check around on price

found a few of Ds drugs on their cheaper

my little penguin

Staff member
There is also single care app
Good rx app
Social worker at the hospital can see if you qualify for the extra prescription coverage plan that reduces costs significantly
There are a few
Doesn’t hurt to ask

Lynda Lynda

Well, I called Jannsen Patient Assistance this past week and they said they are taking applications [ for Crohns Disease ? ] I am going to drop off the application paperwork at my Gastroenterologist office this Tuesday. I will fill out my part.

I thought I looked online a short while ago and it said that they are not taking applications for Crohns (?)
I DO have Health Insurance and it is a Medicare Advantage Plan, but I am still going to have my Gastroenterologist fill out his part of the paperwork and then his Medical Assistant can fax it to Jannsen.

Well, I called Jannsen Patient Assistance this past week and they said they are taking applications [ for Crohns Disease ? ] I am going to drop off the application paperwork at my Gastroenterologist office this Tuesday. I will fill out my part.

I thought I looked online a short while ago and it said that they are not taking applications for Crohns (?)
I DO have Health Insurance and it is a Medicare Advantage Plan, but I am still going to have my Gastroenterologist fill out his part of the paperwork and then his Medical Assistant can fax it to Jannsen.
I would be very curious what happens.
good luck

Lynda Lynda

I have a 90 day prescription for Budesonide that I started taking daily on 5/6/2021.
Will I only have to take it for 3 months ?

Lynda

I have a 90 day prescription for Budesonide that I started taking daily on 5/6/2021.
Will I only have to take it for 3 months ?

Lynda
Hi Lynda
My NP told me to take 60 days of Budesonide between the Stelara infusion and my first injection. I stopped and did fine. My first injection worked well. I started not feeling well about 50 days after infusion. I guess the Budesonide kept me from feeling worse. The injection is a breeze compared to some of the others!!!!

Lynda Lynda

Hi Lynda
My NP told me to take 60 days of Budesonide between the Stelara infusion and my first injection. I stopped and did fine. My first injection worked well. I started not feeling well about 50 days after infusion. I guess the Budesonide kept me from feeling worse. The injection is a breeze compared to some of the others!!!!
I started taking Budesonide 35 days ago.
I am still taking weekly Humira Injections.
I have not had the Stelara Infusion yet.
My Health Insurance Company approved the Stelara, but at a high co-pay for me.
My doctors office JUST faxed over my Stelara patient assistance funding request to JJPAF yesterday.
This is where I am, as of today.

I'm not overly worried about any new medication side effects or giving myself an injection, it's always worry about the money part.
I am retired and am at home most of the time, so if I have side effects I won't have to be at a job or driving in a vehicle every day.
My Humira has been free for 3 years with excellent patient follow-ups and help from my Humira Representative on the phone, but with Stelara I have no such support, yet.

I took Prednisone for 20 days then the next day I started taking the Budesonide.
I started taking the Budesonide / Methotrexate / Folic Acid 35 days ago and they have made me feel better.
I now have once a day normal bowel movements.
I'm eating a variety of foods now, not just a full liquid diet.

Lynda

It sounds good.
I built up antibodies to humira, I’ve been on quite a few things.
don’t forget the folic acid while taking methotrexate. I eventually had to stop methotrex. But took it for quite awhile before it started creating problems.
I know about the expenses!!! Unbelievable!
you have Crohns?
I was diagnosed in 2012 at age 58!!
My sister has Crohns and was diagnosed when she was 12.

Is entocort EC 3 mg 90 capsules the same thing as budesonide ER 9 mg?? It's like 75 dollars on good rx vs like 500 dollars for the budesonide.

My insurance rejected the budesonide so I gave up and went back on prednisone but reading this thread I feel like I gave up too easy and my doctor should have filed for an appeal, or I should have tried using the generic entocort ec.

The prednisone works of course but it is destroying my teeth. And my stelara dose has not been optimized yet.