• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can I Make SCD yogurt from store bought?

Hello, this question is put out there for any experienced SCDers, to help me with this.

Since he was off from work today, I asked my DH to pick up a gallon of milk and 2 containers of plain Chobani yogurt so I could start some SCD yogurt tonight when I got home from my night course at college.

I got home, I opened the fridge he bought two HUGE quart size containers of Chobani yogurt, each costing 7 bucks each.

I can't eat non-SCD yogurt, and I can never hope to use those two huge containers as starter culture before they go bad.

My question, can i put the yogurt in my yogurt machine and just let it go for 24 hours? or is it futile?

Also, any suggestions on what I can do with the yogurt to make it SCD? I hate to waste food and throw it away.

you can use it as a starter but you cannot make it SCD compliant.....

Yogurt - Commercially Produced
"....additional milk solids including lactose and protein are added to commercial yoghurt and then subjected to the short fermentation. Because of so much lactose in it from the very beginning, what happens is that the little good guys (bulgaricus and thermophilus start doing their work and when they have converted half of the lactose in the original vat, there is lactic acid produced and the acidity (acid=acidity)(the pH) reaches a critical point of about 3.5. At this point, our little guys' enzymes cannot work because of the acidity and there is still 50% more lactose remaining (remember they added milk solids at the start)."
http://btvc.webfactional.com/knowledge-base/detail/yogurt-commercially-produced/

Thanks Hugh,

Now, I am going into "frugal mode" to figure out now how to avoid wasting the 2 huge containers of Chobani.

Do you know if I can freeze the Chobani yogurt into portion-sized starters? Or will that kill the culture?

Thanks Hugh,

Now, I am going into "frugal mode" to figure out now how to avoid wasting the 2 huge containers of Chobani.

Do you know if I can freeze the Chobani yogurt into portion-sized starters? Or will that kill the culture?
Sorry, don't know...