• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Covid vaccine-high CRP?

Does anyone know if the Covid vaccine causes elevated CRP levels? DD just had her second dose a few days ago and had labs today and her CRP has spiked to 31! We’re doing a fecal calprotectin test and I have a call into the doctor but just wondering if anyone has experience with this. Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Which vaccine did they have? I had the pfizer, and labs were done 2 weeks after the first shot with no issues/changes in crp....

Thanks for replying! She had Pfizer as well but the labs were done two days after the shot. She also has a ruptured eardrum so the GI thinks those MIGHT have something to do with the CRP but is waiting to get the FC test back. I guess it’s a waiting game since DD feels perfectly fine and all others labs were stable/good.

my little penguin

Staff member
My non doc
Mommy opinion would be the ear
Ds had an bulging ear drum
CRp and Sed rate were very high at the time
Turned into mastoiditis
Gi was concerned when he saw the numbers till I explained about the ear

Thanks so much for the input! How did you end up finding the right treatment for his ear? We’ve been going through this for almost 6 months and her poor eardrum finally ruptured. She’s been to her PCP, an ENT, even her GI looked at it!

my little penguin

Staff member
Mastoiditis means the infection spread to the mastoidi bone (bone behind the ear and could get to the brain.
They found this on CT scan
Admitted him to the hospital and placed him on iv antibiotics (he had been on two oral combined abx prior .
After a few days of iv abx he went home on multiple oral abx for 3 weeks I think
They made us hold his humira for a while as well until they determined the abx were working

crohnsinct

My daughter fell and hurt her knee and her CRP went up to 120's. A month later it was back down to normal. CRP is non specific. WE always rely on the fecal calprotectin.

That makes me feel better, thanks! I know CRP
isn’t strictly gut related but I always worry anyways when it spikes (even after all these years and two kids and a husband with Crohn’s). Is 50 or below still the “normal” level for FC?

my little penguin

Staff member
50 or under is normal depending on the lab
Other lab is 160-and under
But that is for someone without crohns
Higher number if you have crohns

Thanks again everyone! I got her an appointment with her ENT this morning and we’ll just have to wait until the FC comes in next week. Hoping and praying she’s still in remission!

Scipio

Does anyone know if the Covid vaccine causes elevated CRP levels? DD just had her second dose a few days ago and had labs today and her CRP has spiked to 31! We’re doing a fecal calprotectin test and I have a call into the doctor but just wondering if anyone has experience with this. Thanks in advance!
The answer is yes. I was recently part of study with people being tested for CRP levels (mine was low as always), and two apparently healthy volunteers with no known inflammatory conditions each had CRPs in the teens and 20s when they should have been less than 5. It turned out that both of them had gotten the vaccine second doses a few days previously.

To the best of my knowledge there has not been follow-up to see how long it took for them to go back down, but the researchers definitely thought the unexpected moderate elevations were due to the vaccine.

Thanks so much! This really makes me feel better while we wait because we had her ear checked and it was fine so it had me wondering.

Maya142

Staff member
My kiddo actually flared after the COVID vaccine and we checked her Fecal Calprotectin and it was high. Her CRP was high, but barely (actually in her case, it's usually much higher). Hopefully it is from her ear (poor kiddo - my daughter had a ruptured ear drum and it is painful!!!) and not her IBD. Fingers crossed her FCP comes back normal!!

Maya142

Staff member
Three weeks or so. No, she was given a steroid burst (oral) and then IV Solumedrol (125 mg, so not terribly high) for 3 days. But we haven't checked her FCP since then. But the bleeding is completely gone and she felt a whole lot better after steroids. No scope was done or even mentioned.

Glad to hear the steroids worked!
Now we just have to see what the test says and go from there. I’m trying not to think about it too much but just hoping it’s ok so we can stop worrying about every high CRP she’s been having the last few infusions.

DD’s eardrum looks good now and has healed and FC came back at 55 so looks like the CRP was Covid vaccine. THANK GOODNESS!

She doesn’t think we need any further testing right now so hopefully the CRP gets back to normal quickly so we can put this craziness behind us!
Thanks again for all your responses.

Even though I have SEVEN people in my immediate family with Crohn’s/UC (including two kids and DH) and have been reading everything I can about it for 20+ years it’s so great to have people to go to that have experience and not just read articles.

Last edited: