• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and covid vaccine?

Hi Everyone,

I have had crohns for a long time and have been on Humira for 10 years. I recently got my Pfizer vaccine for covid, both doses. But last night on the news they are talking about a 3rd shot or booster for older individuals and people with compromised immune systems and they actually said people with crohns. Do we not have the same immunity as other people getting the vaccine? Now I’m a little worried about seeing people indoors. Anyone have info on this? I read that the 3rd dose maybe emergency approved in the US in the next few days, but I’m in Canada so not sure when it’s coming here.
Thanks in advance!

my little penguin

Staff member
Individuals who are on immunosuppressants (methotrexate/6-mp/aza etc…) abd /or biologics (humira /remicade /Stelara/entyvio ) are considered immunosuppressed .

The medicine lowered the bodies ability to fight off secondary infections (as in if you get the flu then pneumonia is a higher risk as a secondary infection)

They have known for years that immunosuppressants/biologics reduce the effectiveness of vaccines which is why kids dx with crohns are given their normal school vaccines first then wait before starting meds.

Flu vaccines are less effective in folks on meds
And they have seen data in some folks on meds that they are not building as string of an antibody response but not other folks on meds ….

in others words they are sure yet

we are watching this closely in the US for my child
But in his case even if they approve it for Adults
He is not 18 yet (almost ) so he will still have to wait for the third shot

we were told to pretend like he didn’t get any shots until they know more

Limit crowd exposure
Masking always
Social distancing

so that is what we do
The rest of the family does the same to create a bubble as much as possible

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello,

I'm in the UK so policies may be different here, but I have been told by my doctors that I should continue to follow what's known as shielding. This means that I need to stay in my house most of the time, no crowds, no going into other peoples houses, no public transport, wearing masks, only going out to big open spaces with good social distancing, not going to indoor or busy places. My GP told me that they were given research that shows immune suppressed people could have as much as a 75% response to the vaccines, which is lower than the general public (some of the vaccines in the uk produce 95%). It's better than they first thought, but it still means one in four of us is likely to get extremely sick or die (and that's based on best case scenario), so there is still a significant risk and this is why I've been told to be so cautious.

The other potential issue I've had raised is that if I caught Covid, even if I didn't end up in ICU, it would likely cause my Crohn's to flare out of control and as someone with limited treatment options this would be a disaster, it would also likely cause a long term deterioration in my asthma. So, as well as the risk to life it is important to consider the potential affects on pre-existing illnesses.

In my case I have already been told that I will 100% be eligible for a third dose and that I should be offered it as soon as September.

Ok, thank you for the info. I have an appt with my GI in two weeks going to inquire about third dose. Here in Canada they are only starting to talk about it.

Individuals who are on immunosuppressants (methotrexate/6-mp/aza etc…) abd /or biologics (humira /remicade /Stelara/entyvio ) are considered immunosuppressed .

The medicine lowered the bodies ability to fight off secondary infections (as in if you get the flu then pneumonia is a higher risk as a secondary infection)

They have known for years that immunosuppressants/biologics reduce the effectiveness of vaccines which is why kids dx with crohns are given their normal school vaccines first then wait before starting meds.

Flu vaccines are less effective in folks on meds
And they have seen data in some folks on meds that they are not building as string of an antibody response but not other folks on meds ….

in others words they are sure yet

we are watching this closely in the US for my child
But in his case even if they approve it for Adults
He is not 18 yet (almost ) so he will still have to wait for the third shot

we were told to pretend like he didn’t get any shots until they know more

Limit crowd exposure
Masking always
Social distancing

so that is what we do
The rest of the family does the same to create a bubble as much as possible
Thank you for the reply. I plan on acting like I’m not vaccinated and all the precautions I take until I have more answers or a third dose.

my little penguin

Staff member
Who Needs an Additional COVID-19 Vaccine?
Currently, CDC is recommending that moderately to severely immunocompromised people receive an additional dose. This includes people who have:

• Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
  • Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
  • Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
  • Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
  • Advanced or untreated HIV infection
  • Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
People should talk to their healthcare provider about their medical condition, and whether getting an additional dose is appropriate for them.

Thank you for the info. I’m in Canada and when I received my first dose I fell into the category of immune compromised because I take humira and so far have been told I will need booster. I am talking to my GI this week and will find out what my plan is.

Scipio

• Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response

My assumption is that most Crohn's patients who are on biologics, corticosteroids, or immunomodulators will qualify for a third dose under this statement. I'm looking/hoping for further clarification from FDA/CDC.

In the meantime I plan to get a third dose of the vaccine as soon as I can reasonably schedule it. I plan to schedule it through my main health care provider system, since they have the records to show that I'm on Stelara and thus qualify. My immune system is also further weakened by my being asplenic (long story), but asplenia is not specifically called out in the statement so far.

Last edited:
Ok, I qualified for the vaccine early because of being on humira, so I’m assuming I will qualify for third dose aswell. Our govt is making an announcement tomorrow on this issue, so hopefully they get the third shots going soon.

my little penguin

Staff member
@Scipio
No doctors note or records needed
Just go online to any cvs or Walgreens to schedule similar to regular COVID vaccine
Fill out the questionaire and check the moderate to severe immunocompromised/suppressed box
That’s it
I got my kiddo the third shot at cvs on Saturday morning
Timing worked out well (half way between the two biologics and just held the mtx )
Easy and done

I can’t do that yet, I’m in Canada (Toronto). So apparently the govt is making an announcement tomorrow about third shots, I’m assuming I will be able to book very soon.

Scipio

@Scipio
No doctors note or records needed
Just go online to any cvs or Walgreens to schedule similar to regular COVID vaccine
Fill out the questionaire and check the moderate to severe immunocompromised/suppressed box
That’s it
I got my kiddo the third shot at cvs on Saturday morning
Timing worked out well (half way between the two biologics and just held the mtx )
Easy and done

Thanks. I thought it would require more documentation than that.

But I won't get the shot until about Sept. 14th (six weeks after my recent dose of Stelara). I want the blood levels of Stelara to be as low as possible but yet still allow two weeks for the immune system to respond fully to the 3rd dose of the vaccine.

That is my big concern with my previous 2nd dose - that it happened only four days after a Stelara dose when the drug concentration would still be quite high - possibly blunting the anti-COVID response. With greater vaccine availablility now I can play the vaccination timing game much better.

Thanks. I thought it would require more documentation than that.

But I won't get the shot until about Sept. 14th (six weeks after my recent dose of Stelara). I want the blood levels of Stelara to be as low as possible but yet still allow two weeks for the immune system to respond fully to the 3rd dose of the vaccine.

That is my big concern with my previous 2nd dose - that it happened only four days after a Stelara dose when the drug concentration would still be quite high - possibly blunting the anti-COVID response. With greater vaccine availablility now I can play the vaccination timing game much better.
Good to know. I never thought about the timing and importance but will definitely consider that when I get my 3rd shot

Been on Humira for 3 years for Crohn's; got my 3rd COVID vaccine from Walgreens on Saturday - was super easy, no appointment needed just walked in & completed their questionnaire. I didn't have a very significant immune response from my 1st & 2nd vaccines, so this time instead of getting my vaccine the week in-between doses I delayed a dose by 1 week so that I had 2 weeks free of Humira before the injection & 1 week after. I'm not at all recommending this approach to anyone without consulting with your GI doc but I had a much more robust immune response on the 3rd vaccine. But even with a 3rd vaccine, I'm still being cautious when leaving the house (shielding).

I really wish everyone would stop and consider what the long term effects of this unknown vaccine may be. It's already demonstrated itself to be ineffective - otherwise why the need for a third shot? And don't say it's because some people are unvaccinated. If that logic held, then we would still be seeing epidemics of polio, smallpox, meningitis, even in people who were vaccinated against those illnesses. There have been thousands of vaccine injuries (and worse) reported in the VAERS related to this shot. There is next to no clinical trial data on it and as an immunocompromised individual, I guard my body closely.

Yes, I know COVID can be bad. But so can the flu. An infection. MRSA. A ruptured appendix. Insert malady here. You hear about the deaths in the media, but you hear nothing about the recoveries. I know quite a few people who got COVID, including those with chronic conditions, and they weathered it ok. They had a rough couple of weeks, but they made it. It's kind of like how snow storms and hurricanes are hyped up to be the end of the world and most of the time people ride them out just fine, even if they didn't go to the store and buy 8 months worth of food beforehand! Staying several feet apart and routine hand washing are good practices that should be common sense, even for those who don't have a chronic illness.

I'm not saying COVID shouldn't be taken seriously. But, I'm not going to let a bunch of talking heads tell me I need to be a human lab rat, either. I'm not judging those who did take the shot, but rather am trying to reassure those who have doubts. It's perfectly fine to be hesitant, even in a time when you are vilified for doing so. If you are in a situation where you feel that your back is against the wall, talk to your doctor. Many will write a note saying they do not recommend you get the shot.

we are all entitled to our own opinion about what is right for each of our body, just like I will decide what is best for mine. I know a lot of people that had covod, some had sniffles and some I attended a funeral.
so please remember we all do what’s best for our own bodies and never assume people aren’t doing research just because they aren’t making the same decisions as you.

I attended a funeral for someone who threw a clot after taking their second shot. Also had a family member go blind in one eye after a blood clot two days after the second shot.

Not saying you or anyone else didn't do research and I wasn't being judgmental.