• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

EEN for Crohns

my little penguin

Staff member
Depends on how severe the disease is and where it’s located

Most pediatric Gi in the US
Use semi elemental as a trial (peptide or peptamen jr)
Other let the kid try polymeric first (kids boost or pediasure)
Depends on what the kids intestines tolerate
Polymeric is easiest to drink

The key is formula only regardless of kind
And no solids for 6 to 8 weeks

Ds used peptamen jr
Others here got away with kids boost
Some needed elemental formula(Ds is on this now -neocate jr )
That’s the hardest to drink and most require an ng tube for it
Good luck

My daughter needed semi-elemental formula; she used the adult version of Peptamen 1.5. She tried Peptamen Jr. first but couldn't tolerate one of its ingredients.

crohnsinct

Both of my daughters used Boost and Ensure. One had all colonic disease the other all T.I. disease.

If you use an ng tube it really doesn't matter as long as your body can tolerate it and absorb it.

Last edited:
Thank you. Currently taking Kate Farms Pediatric Peptide, via J Tube. Would like to switch and see if a different formula makes a difference and also only doing formula not food too, did not know have to only do formula. thank you for the information.

my little penguin

Staff member
Different brand probably won’t make a difference
It’s the formula only part with no solids that makes the difference

Please be aware that once you re introduce solids the inflammation will come back
Unless your on a maintenance med
Sulfanizine is a 5asa
They are not recommended as a monotherapy for crohns
They only act a cream of sorts to treat the top layer of the intestine Which works well in UC since that affects the top layer
Crohns effects the full thickness of the intestine so inflammation is left to simmer underneath

There are meds
6-mp methotrexate and remicade humira Stelara entivyio

Ds is complicated medically
But has been on all of them except entivyio
He currently is on Stelara plus methotrexate and doing very well

Good luck

Different brand probably won’t make a difference
It’s the formula only part with no solids that makes the difference

Please be aware that once you re introduce solids the inflammation will come back
Unless your on a maintenance med
Sulfanizine is a 5asa
They are not recommended as a monotherapy for crohns
They only act a cream of sorts to treat the top layer of the intestine Which works well in UC since that affects the top layer
Crohns effects the full thickness of the intestine so inflammation is left to simmer underneath

There are meds
6-mp methotrexate and remicade humira Stelara entivyio

Ds is complicated medically
But has been on all of them except entivyio
He currently is on Stelara plus methotrexate and doing very well

Good luck
Hi, thank you for responding. I have been on Entivyo, had a reaction, anaphylactic type. then was on prednisone several times. I cannot be on Humira, Remicade, 6MP due to my heart. My GI wants to place me on stelara, however, the cardiologist says no, not safe.

my little penguin

Staff member
Might want to ask your cardiologist about Cimzia ,simponi or simponi aria.
There is also methotrexate
Ivig therapy (immunoglobulin therapy used in refractory cases)

And ilaris (used in refractory crohns cases)

Good luck 👍🏻

Thank you. Currently taking Kate Farms Pediatric Peptide, via J Tube. Would like to switch and see if a different formula makes a difference and also only doing formula not food too, did not know have to only do formula. thank you for the information.
Hi there, thank you for sharing your story. It's been a while and I hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask what the reason was to switch from Kate Farms? It sounded liked KF wasn't effective in achieving what you needed?

The reason I asked is I like the taste of KF and am all ears to what others experience is