• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Enterocolitis & Donnatal

what are the causes other than IBD ? Im asking here coupled with my own research as I need a crash course. And has anyone used Donnatal?

Thanks.

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Is that the same as Donnatab??

Before Sarah was diagnosed they tried her with Donnatabs to relieve abdominal cramping and it did diddly squat. I guess it didn't work because she had IBD!

Dusty. :hug:

Contains 0.3111 mg Hyoscyamine, 0.0582 mg Atropine, 0.0195 mg Scopolamine and 48.6 mg Phenobarbital. A barbiturate/mixture.

What bothers me the most as I read patient reviews is the majority complained about being comatose...the funniest review was:
"I do not recommend this to anyone who needs to function"
Im already complaining about serious fatigue. They are also addictive.

Im not sure if they're the same thing Dusty ... when I google it all that comes up for me is the Richie Valen's guitar tabs for the song "Oh Donna" :D I am guessing it is the same thing as it is for abdominal pain/cramping used for IBS.

Last edited:
Is that the same as Donnatab??

Before Sarah was diagnosed they tried her with Donnatabs to relieve abdominal cramping and it did diddly squat. I guess it didn't work because she had IBD!

Dusty. :hug:
Yes, I totally agree-doesn't work if you have IBD!

Donnatal is used for:

Treating irritable bowel syndrome and intestinal inflammation in combination with other medicines. It may also be used along with other medicines to treat intestinal ulcers. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.

Donnatal is an anticholinergic and barbiturate combination. It works by decreasing the motion of the muscles in the stomach and intestine and providing mild sedation.

Oi vey -- now Im more confused than ever. I thought IBS doesn't cause structural changes in the bowel?? If my MRI's showed strictures in jejunum and thickening of the bowel wall... IS it possible for IBS to cause that?
Part of me wonders if I should take it again with this doctor just so I can rule that out if it doesn't work. I am sure I took it a long time ago - not for long though because I didn't like it.

Last edited:
I don't think IBS causes bowel changes either. Thought it's supposed to be some sort of miscommunication b/t brain and bowel...maybe that just means that Donnatal is used in the treatment of both conditions...whether your guts are irritable or inflamed.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
IBS does not cause physical changes in the digestive tract, it is a functional disorder. I believe the two conditions can and do co exist in many people and there is some overlap of symptoms but the structural changes that occur in IBD do not occur in IBS.

Dusty. :)

okay - thanks Mayflower, Dustykat and Mountaingem... I think I just needed to hear that again.. back on track now and fighting for some appropriate treatment. :thumleft:
I refused the Donnatal.