• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help anyone please.

Hello there, Ive had stomach issues for 3 weeks as of today. It all started with massive strike of diarrhea, and strong abdominal pain right under the naval. I started a treatment with furazolidon, and about one week later my pain moved to the middle upper stomach part. Ive had over 20 stools per day, extreme watery and stuff, in week 2 the pain went away, but the diarrhea remained, however from 20 times a day it decrased to 10, then by the start of week 2 I got cirponol (antiobiotic) from my DOC, and told me to eat something similar to the BRAT diet. Now it has passed 5 days of antibiotics , and I have 5-6 stools a day, not so watery but quite loose(it has gotten better). No pain, no bleeding, no anything just , 5 loose stools a day. My question is, do I have Crohns Disease, Irritable Bowel disease - or a bacterial infection? Notice I never vomited, had a low grade fever, and thats about it. Oh and stool samples did not find anything. I do not suffer from any other chronic illnes. Neither do I have a family member with CD. The doc thinks it's a bacterial infection, but I think I have my rights to suspicsion after 3 weeks of something worse.

Thank's for reading.

Alex,

Crohn's Disease acts different for different people. Barium scan, colonoscopy, blood work would go a long way to DX your condition. Im the only one in my family that has CD also. I never puked with mine. I had/have 5 to 14 BM's a day, but I have the blood, mucus, etc.

My best suggestions would be to find a GI that will work to satisfy you, not a doc that will take a guess and blow you off. Its not normal to have so many BM's a day.

Hope things get better for ya

There are many things besides infection, Crohn's and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) that could account for your symptoms.

Did you have any tests that indicated an infection? Are you still taking antibiotics? I would follow your doctor's instructions for now, keep taking the antibiotics, follow a soft, bland diet and drink plenty to avoid dehydration from diarrhoea. If things don't resolve soon - especially if you finish the antibiotics and they still don't resolve - go back to your doctor and see if he/she still suspects infection, and if so what kind, and ask if further tests are necessary.

Crohn's and other IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) do cause diarrhoea, though your symptoms don't sound like a typical case of Crohn's or other IBD. But if you undergo further testing such as more blood and stool tests or, if necessary, imaging tests of your digestive system or endoscopy or colonoscopy, the tests will suggest, confirm or rule out Crohn's and other IBD as well as many other digestive disorders. So I don't think you should worry too much about Crohn's right now, just concentrate on making sure your doctor knows how bad your diarrhoea is so that further tests are done if you don't recover fully after finishing the antibiotics.

If you get signs of dehydration - feeling faint and passing dark coloured urine - consider going to the emergency department as you may need IV fluids if you continue getting very severe diarrhoea.

Last edited:
My daughter contracted a bacterial infection in South America and the symptoms (watery diarrhea) went in for some time (several weeks) but did eventually subside with antibiotics.

At this point maybe you should try some probiotic therapy to try to get things balanced and back on track in your gut. Antibiotics kill all the good bacteria along with the bad, unfortunately.

But by all means, if you have a "gut feeling" that there's more going on than meets the eye, find a doctor that will look further into it with the right tests to get to the root of it. It took me years of being told to "eat more fiber and stress less" before a doctor finally ordered a colonoscopy and upper bowel series and Crohns was diagnosed - not a happy day but real affirmation of what I so knew deep down, that there was a real physical cause for all my digestive suffering.

All the best!