• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hepatitis B Vaccine while on medication for Crohn’s

My son is 17 and has Crohn’s. He takes Stelara every 8 weeks.
When he was diagnosed last July, his bloodwork showed he did not have sufficient antibodies to Hepatitis B to be immune to this infection. The GI said he will need a repeat booster shot, but wanted to wait until he wasn’t is such an active flare at the time of diagnosis. Now that he is showing some signs of improvement the GI said it’s okay to get the Hep B booster shot at our convenience, but just not to get this vaccine one week before or one week after Stelara administration.
Is it common for people with Crohn’s to not have their Hepatitis B vaccine work so they have to get a repeat booster? The Hep B vaccine won’t affect his Crohn’s or Stelara will it? I have to believe it would be worse to actually get Hep B than worry about how it could affect Crohn’s or the medication right?

my little penguin

Staff member
Most kiddos get vaccines while having crohns and taking biologics or immunosuppressants
They just tend to have less of a response to the vaccine due to the immunosuppressants or biologics
This is the case for all vaccines
Such as flu ,Covid ,meningitis etc….
Ds was dx at age 7 so lots of vaccines in the past 11 years
No issues
The only caveat is no LIVE. Vaccines are permitted while on biologics

i had to get re-vaccinated for hep B....to prepare for biologics....they didnt want me to start until i had one or 2 shots, dont recall offhand...
so being a booster im sure its not to worry.

crohnsinct

Not building antibodies to Hep vaccines is actually a pretty common thing Crohns or not. I also had to get re-vaccinated. My daughter with Crohn's also just got tested and yep, needs Hep A and B vaccines. The vaccine won't affect the Stelara. More than likely immune suppressing drugs affect the vaccine but Stelara is a pretty selective drug so like the GI said as long as you separate it by the week, Stelara shouldn't affect the vaccine too terribly. They space it out so the vaccine can be more effective not for anything dangerous.

Not building antibodies to Hep vaccines is actually a pretty common thing Crohns or not. I also had to get re-vaccinated. My daughter with Crohn's also just got tested and yep, needs Hep A and B vaccines. The vaccine won't affect the Stelara. More than likely immune suppressing drugs affect the vaccine but Stelara is a pretty selective drug so like the GI said as long as you separate it by the week, Stelara shouldn't affect the vaccine too terribly. They space it out so the vaccine can be more effective not for anything dangerous.
Great to know! Thanks for your reply!