• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How likely is Crohn's colitis to evolve into affecting the small bowel

Does anyone know what the likelihood is of Crohn's that starts as Crohn's colitis only remaining in the colon and not affecting the small bowel?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm afraid, I'm not sure. I do know though that my UC has moved around a bit since I was diagnosed in 1996. However, I have also been seen by two different GI doctors.

The best I can say is that each person is different. Wish I could help more.
Cross-stitch

my little penguin

Staff member
In kids
Crohns travels over a ten year period from the time of diagnosis
So if it starts in the rectum and ti
Then sometimes adds the duodenum and sigmoid
Each person is diffierent
It does change from inflammatory to strictures or fistulas in kids over a 10 year period for some as well

Not sure on adults

My son was dx at age 7 now 17 so we have seen a little movement but not much

In kids
Crohns travels over a ten year period from the time of diagnosis
So if it starts in the rectum and ti
Then sometimes adds the duodenum and sigmoid
Each person is diffierent
It does change from inflammatory to strictures or fistulas in kids over a 10 year period for some as well

Not sure on adults

My son was dx at age 7 now 17 so we have seen a little movement but not much
When Crohns appears in another place, is it possible that it “may” dissapear from the previous place?

Lady Organic

Staff member
Its always possible to have isolated episodes in different and new spots. CD is unpredictable and can pop anywhere.
Where the disease has started at diagnosis or where it hit a new spot during its evolution will remain vulnerable spots for further relapses.
Disease tend to ''favor'' certain location in each different individual, have a ''pattern''.
In my case, its the rectum and sigmoid colon. A relapse almost always starts there. Disease started there in 2001. Untreated (I had stopped my medication), it has once popped in terminal ilium and right colon 7 years later. That was a big surprise.
In untreated IBD (or suboptimal treatment), we usually go through a addition of vulnerable spots during evolution of disease rather than a diminution of those.

That makes a lot of sense.

I just got diagnosed 3 months ago but a lot of stuff makes sense now. When I was a kid (50 years ago) the Dr though that I had a problem with my stomach and my pylorus since my stomach would not empty sometimes and got badly swollen, you can imagine, they though I had pyloric stenosis and problems with intestinal mobility and they tried that with metrochlopramide and antiacids with little success....later it was chronic duodenitis?....

Later suddenly in my thirties all that that suddenly stopped!!!....I was so happy!!!.....but then after a while I got the more classical diarrhea bouts with mucus and blood....after several colonoscopies and biopsies they though that it looked like Crohn's but also like UC and proctitis etc etc but since the biopsies came back negative they never gave me a diagnosis but anyway threated it with Asacol and Pentasa etc etc but they did nothing for me, the only thing that helped me were short courses of Prednisone but they did not want to prescribe it since I was only supposed to have IBS.???

Fast forward several years and I finally got peritonitis and they took away my sigmoid colon after it burst ....after the anastomosis I never ever had any more diarrhea bouts again, so happy again!!!.... until I had several blockages caused by "adhesions"....

Well to make the story short 3 months ago I went to see another GI and this one did another colonoscopy and my colon was beautiful but he continued into the terminal ileum about 20 cm and it was a disaster full of Crohn's lesions until he could not continue any more since I had a stricture that he could not traverse.
After I wake up he goes.....hey dude you have really bad Crohn's disease and a really very narrow stricture, why you did not treat that before??....LOL.....well it was a shock....so I suspect that Crohn's travelled from my stomach and duodenum to my sigmoid colon and then to my terminal ileum now....but in my case it seems that it disappears from one site to just appear in another.

I suspect now that it was Crohn's all the time.