• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Infection

my little penguin

Staff member
Are you seeing an infectious disease doctor ?
If not your pcp /Gi should recommend one.
Ds had a mystery swollen (golf ball size ) cervical lymph node
Just showed up over night
In his case wasn’t infection (they removed it and tried to grow a ton of stuff in it )
Was granulomas from crohns

he also had mastoiditis from an ear infection that would not clear up - needed iv abx for about a day or two then was fine
In that case pcp would not prescribe augmentin (which always clears his ears infections ) used zirthromax instead and it spread

Are you seeing an infectious disease doctor ?
If not your pcp /Gi should recommend one.
Ds had a mystery swollen (golf ball size ) cervical lymph node
Just showed up over night
In his case wasn’t infection (they removed it and tried to grow a ton of stuff in it )
Was granulomas from crohns

he also had mastoiditis from an ear infection that would not clear up - needed iv abx for about a day or two then was fine
In that case pcp would not prescribe augmentin (which always clears his ears infections ) used zirthromax instead and it spread
I had an abscess or boil right beside my vagina lower area, I had it drained and packed for a few days, I’m taking antibiotics and have instructions on cleaning, I’m seeing the doctor everyday for this. She said the boil or abscess is caused by a bacteria. I have never had anything like this in my life or any infections since having crohns for 27 years. Just wanted to know if it will take me longer to heal and is it possible this is linked to crohns? I am in remission, no issues with crohns for awhile.

my little penguin

Staff member
Anything in that area-your Gi needs to be aware of as well
Since crohns patients are prone to abscesses
Most abscesses in the normal population take a week to heal but return in more than half the folks and have to be removed surgically
Please see your Gi
They will order an mri of the pelvis
Determine if it has a fistula or formed one after the fact
And then refer you to a colorectal surgeon or ob/gyn to be assessed on how it is healing

Anything in that area-your Gi needs to be aware of as well
Since crohns patients are prone to abscesses
Most abscesses in the normal population take a week to heal but return in more than half the folks and have to be removed surgically
Please see your Gi
They will order an mri of the pelvis
Determine if it has a fistula or formed one after the fact
And then refer you to a colorectal surgeon or ob/gyn to be assessed on how it is healing
I put a call into my GI tonight