• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just had surgery

Hi All,

I just had surgery this morning to remove a stricture. Luckily my Terminal Ileum and Valve we’re spared and not removed. The prep involved was worse than the surgery and I’m in minimal pain sipping water and chewing gum right now. I’m hoping to leave by Thursday or Friday to continue my recovery at home. Let me know if you have any questions about the prep done here in the hospitals in the Chicago suburbs which I found unique compared to other experiences on this thread.

The stricture was in the jejenum section of the small bowel, not the Ileum. I’ve been home since Sunday and recovering well. I’m off all pain killers already and following the diet instructions for the next 2 weeks. I do have to give myself a daily Lovenox shot in the abdominal area daily for another week.

Just a quick update and my path to surgery.

I was diagnosed with Crohn’s while in the US Marines based on anemia and a follow up colonoscopy. I have been treating it for the past 15 years with Remicade but the stricture was scar tissue and no amount of drugs would relieve it.

I had a colonoscopy in February which was clean and a CT scan with contrast in May which finally diagnosed the Jenjum adhesion.

I met with my Surgeon in June and immediately scheduled the surgery for August 20. I had to have physical done, blood work, nasal swab to check for Staph.

The day before surgery I was on a clear liquid diet and prepped with Miralax and Gatorade. At night I had to drink a series of carbohydrates drinks and 2 different antibiotics. I arrived at 6AM and was given the IV and wiped head to toe with orange wipes. I was given a number of drugs via the IV and a Lovenox shot in the abdominal area.

I spoke with the Surgeon, Surgical Nurse, Anesthesiologists and said my good bye to my wife. The Anesthesiologists gave me more drugs as they wheeled me to the OR and I basically was out of it from then on. I remember being cold and then a burning sensation in my arm and I was in recovery.

I was sitting up in my room by 5PM the same day and on a full liquid diet the next. Once I had a bowel movement on Thursday I was allowed low fiber diet and had a solid bowel movement the next day to my surprise.

It’s been 2 weeks now and I’m off all pain killers and feel great. I wanted to give anyone reading this hope that surgery, which I went without for 20 years is worth it.

I’ll probably be switching to Stelara by the end of the month. Let me know if you have any questions.