• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My family...

I'm just so sick of no one around me understanding and mistaking my pain and fatigue as being lazy...

I never asked for this, yet all they do is make me feel bad and guilty for having it, acting as though I have some magic controller that brings on flares as and when I feel like it...

Last night was hell. I was rushing back and forth to the bathroom in utter agony from around 1am till 8am, when I finally managed to fall asleep, only to be awoken at 3 p.m. being screamed at to get out of bed by my sister, my mum downstairs commenting to her friend how my "angel" sister was up and helping her since 9am, and how I; "was still in bed."

So I'm now being ignored and feeling like worthless trash.

This hasn't just come on...I've been showing signs of a flare for over a week now, heck, last week I was sick 3 times in one day and actually passed out...ending in 6 hours going through A&E for blood tests and fluids and the promise to contact my IBD team at the hospital I'm under for it...

Which leads to another small vent: They're a nightmare to get hold of. I swear receptionists don't pass messages onto each other, or the doctors, and the amount of time you sit on hold waiting to be put through to the right department, and low and behold your doctors on Holiday, bu we can connect you to another, but they won't have access to your files... FFS.

So yes, this isn't new, but oh no...how dare I feel bad, how dare I be in pain and tired?

And I SWEAR the next person, be it family or friend or family friend, who tries to compare this to; "Oh my period pain is terrible, I know how you feel."
"Oh it's inflammation? Take some ibuprofen then."
"Woman up, if you can't handle this how are you ever going to have a baby?"
or
"Oh, it can't be any worse than my nephews IBS, he's such a trooper with it. Have you tried green smoothies, he says they really help him."

I'm going to hit you. Not because I'm a violent person or even because I hate you. I'm just so sick of hearing it...

also, I wish it was made common knowledge that ibuprofen makes bowel conditions worse -___- Like, sure it says it on the box...but unless you have it, you tend to skim read.

scottsma

This is a common vent for some of us crohnies I'm afraid,and I've read many similar stories to yours.Of course this wont make you feel better,but I hope the vent did.We actually have a "vent" thread so feel free to let rip whenever you need to.I'm sad that you're not getting the support you need from your family,but you'll get plenty from us on the forum.Feel better soon.

This is a common vent for some of us crohnies I'm afraid,and I've read many similar stories to yours.Of course this wont make you feel better,but I hope the vent did.We actually have a "vent" thread so feel free to let rip whenever you need to.I'm sad that you're not getting the support you need from your family,but you'll get plenty from us on the forum.Feel better soon.
Amen.

Gosh you wrote how exactly I've been feeling! The laziness comments are getting to me. I have a job where I don't have the ability to run to the washroom if necessary. I can't exactly tell a student with medical needs or behavioural challenges that I need to go to the washroom and expect them to be at all understanding. And I can't exactly stay in there for 45 minutes or longer.. so I listen to my body and if it's starting off bad I have to take a day off. Days off of course add up monetarily which sucks. I also have extremely vocal family members who tell me or ask me all the time shouldn't you be at work? The kids are counting on you... your letting so many people down.. Every time I have to take time off I'm letting myself down more then anything. I had to put in an absence accommodation at work as well already this year since I've been very paranoid and fearful.. I'm 23

My family is only crushing what's left of my self-worth with every comment they make.

I'm just so sick of no one around me understanding and mistaking my pain and fatigue as being lazy...

I never asked for this, yet all they do is make me feel bad and guilty for having it, acting as though I have some magic controller that brings on flares as and when I feel like it...

Last night was hell. I was rushing back and forth to the bathroom in utter agony from around 1am till 8am, when I finally managed to fall asleep, only to be awoken at 3 p.m. being screamed at to get out of bed by my sister, my mum downstairs commenting to her friend how my "angel" sister was up and helping her since 9am, and how I; "was still in bed."

So I'm now being ignored and feeling like worthless trash.

This hasn't just come on...I've been showing signs of a flare for over a week now, heck, last week I was sick 3 times in one day and actually passed out...ending in 6 hours going through A&E for blood tests and fluids and the promise to contact my IBD team at the hospital I'm under for it...

Which leads to another small vent: They're a nightmare to get hold of. I swear receptionists don't pass messages onto each other, or the doctors, and the amount of time you sit on hold waiting to be put through to the right department, and low and behold your doctors on Holiday, bu we can connect you to another, but they won't have access to your files... FFS.

So yes, this isn't new, but oh no...how dare I feel bad, how dare I be in pain and tired?

And I SWEAR the next person, be it family or friend or family friend, who tries to compare this to; "Oh my period pain is terrible, I know how you feel."
"Oh it's inflammation? Take some ibuprofen then."
"Woman up, if you can't handle this how are you ever going to have a baby?"
or
"Oh, it can't be any worse than my nephews IBS, he's such a trooper with it. Have you tried green smoothies, he says they really help him."

I'm going to hit you. Not because I'm a violent person or even because I hate you. I'm just so sick of hearing it...

also, I wish it was made common knowledge that ibuprofen makes bowel conditions worse -___- Like, sure it says it on the box...but unless you have it, you tend to skim read.