• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain relief patches/Creams

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi all

I've been having joint pain for a long time and the only pain meds that are working are cocodamol or stronger, while I do not take them any more often then I have to I don't want it to be a long term thing. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about over the counter pain patches and creams and the suitability of using these with crohns? I will of course run it by my doctor as well just wanted some opinions.

Hey

I spoke to a pharmacist a while ago about the same thing and the only thing she could give me was deep heat, I'm sure she mentioned something about absorption with others. I can't help with patches but I think there are some kind morphine based ones.

I was going to post a similar question to this yesterday. I have asked various Drs before about what other pain meds are available but don't get very far they just offer co-codamol or tramadol both I am not able to function on they make me feel sick and send me into my own little world.
I have tried some of the gels that contain diclofenac when my crohns was more under control but I am not going to risk NSAID in any form when I am already having blood loss from an active flare. I have tried deep heat and deep freeze and I just find them annoying because it feels weird and I still have pain from my joints lol.
I have a rheumatology appointment Wednesday so I was going to ask again then and see what they come up with.