• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Solutions for bloating from Crohn's Disease

S

Sparrow

hey any of you all get a little bloating now and then? And if so what are some of your remedies for it.
A nice hot cup of tea and a tablet of Pariet, usually does it for me...well sorta:)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Unfortunately I never really found any really great solutions to bloating. I used to try and really listen to my body, and if I was feeling anything less than good, I would really be careful what I ate (cause this would usually lead to bloating). For me this also meant not overeating and drinking quite a bit of water, while eating slower. When bloating occured I would usually just try and lay down and just relax. Sometimes I took tea and it may have helped, but sometimes I could just tell that adding anything to my body would be bad. During bloating I would limit the amount of liquid I drank to just what was necessary for me to remain comfortable.

I know this isn't that great, but all I can say is just listen to your body and do not over exert yourself.

I used to have horrible bloating but now if I eat too much I just wait ten minutes and I usually feel much better and I eat some more.

I am trying to gain weight

J

I experience awful bloating at times and for me it is a matter of maintaining my water intake. As long as I drink 80+ ounces of water a day I have no bloat, but if I slack and only drink half that amount I am in trouble. I am so bloated at times that I have been asked how far along I am in my pregnancy. Just my two cents :)

J

jyarmo

Marcia, sorry but what is 80 ounces in terms of glasses?
I've heard that 8 glasses of water is a good amount to "shoot" for everyday.

jyarmo said:
Marcia, sorry but what is 80 ounces in terms of glasses?
I've heard that 8 glasses of water is a good amount to "shoot" for everyday.
I think it amount to about 8-10 glasses a day. I use a water bottle that is 16 ounces and I fill it at least 5 times a day.

Marcia

I havent found much to help with this one. Now that I am back on prednisone...I feel much like a blimp about to explode.

K

Kate

Hmmm bloating well i cant say i found anything overly effective for it but i think a bowel massage could help move it all along if you can bear it. Or age old remmidy just wait it out.

If you wanna know about the bowel massage just IM me with an email address and ill scann the page of the book and try and eamil it to you.

K

Kate

or the other thing is camomile tea its amazing that stuff and green tea

K

Kossy

I normally use Mylox extra strenght with anti-gas. It works for me on the days I feel bloated.

I eat a pot of organic live goat's yoghurt - it's the probiotic approach. Works every time and it's something I can no longer live without. (Goat's dairy is easier to digest).

I use peppermint tea as this helps your digestion. I've also had peppermint oil capsules from a health food shop. When I was really bad this seemed to settle down the tummy. My GI at the time suggested the peppermint oil caps years ago.

I get bloated now if I eat really fatty foods or too much of a good thing. sigh.

Sometimes the only way to get rid of the bloating is to go out the back paddock and let rip...lol or else kill your partner and make their retina's bleed from the fumes...lol...or, or, be a doona assasin...lol.

Sorry...the mind doesn't always match the age.:D

S

Sparrow

I asked my doctor about using peppermint tea and hes one of those doctors who are pretty open to more natural methods/medication. He told me that the peppermint tea can cause some cramping of the bowel and might not be a good idea. But I've had it before and doesn't seem to cause me any problems...I haven't tried green tea yet but I hear thats good also.

S

scottishgirl

i found that if i stop eating before im full its ok, although thats really hard when sitting down to a good meal or takeaway lol. if i eat till im full im bloated and uncomfortable for a couple of days

cookey

Mama Crohnie
I wish there was a great rememdy for bloating, I have tried a few things, tea being one them..and nothing seems to work for me.

Ole Chrohn's Don't Die They Just Crap Out

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I just remembered something they always told me in the hospital! Do not drink using a straw, and make sure to take small sips, so you do not gulp down too much air. This may help a bit, or at least will not make things any worse.

K

Kate

hehe i have one sure fire way to fix bloating but im sure none of you want to do it and thats vomiting but only to be used in extreem cases and i havnt done it since i was really sick but it works :p