• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stelara and Neuropathy

Hi All,

I have been on Stelara for the past year and it has controlled my symptoms. I have noticed recently some numbness on my right toe. Does stelara cause peripheral neuropathy? I have been on a very low dose of sulfasalazine (250mg daily), but doubt that is the culprit. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Hi! I also am on Stelara and have noticed increasing numbness to my toes on both feet and the pinky finger of my right hand. I’ve been on Stelara for 2 years and have noticed it getting worse in the last 2 months, I’m worried! I see my gastroenterologist in a week, I’ll mention it to her and keep you posted.

Timely that I see this, as I am on Stelara currently (every 4 weeks), in addition to Azathioprine (150mg/day), Cipro (2x day) and Flagyl (2x day). A few weeks ago I noticed numbness in my right toe and to a lesser extent in my left. Last week it had noticeably spread to my other toes. I reached out to my GI doc after doing some searching online, as I suspected it may be tied to the Flagyl. After discussing, I have stopped the Flagyl for now (only a few days off) to see if things improve. I wasn't aware of any potential ties to Stelara but keen to share what you hear and happy to share on this end.

Timely that I see this, as I am on Stelara currently (every 4 weeks), in addition to Azathioprine (150mg/day), Cipro (2x day) and Flagyl (2x day). A few weeks ago I noticed numbness in my right toe and to a lesser extent in my left. Last week it had noticeably spread to my other toes. I reached out to my GI doc after doing some searching online, as I suspected it may be tied to the Flagyl. After discussing, I have stopped the Flagyl for now (only a few days off) to see if things improve. I wasn't aware of any potential ties to Stelara but keen to share what you hear and happy to share on this end.
Yeah, mine resolved. Don't think it was stelara. I think it is most likely the Flagyl for you.

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Flagyl did this to me. My thumb got so numb, then my index finger, then my middle etc until my entire hand on both sides was numb. Had to stop it because it was impacting my ability to do stuff (I kept dropping things etc). And then it resolved completely after about 10 days! Not sure I'd ever be keen to take it again, honestly.

Thanks for the replies...and glad it resolved. I have been on Flagyl on and off over the years for longer stretches but this definitely is the longest stretch. Hoping to feel toes again soon...and not backslide with my CD.