• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stem Cell Therapy

I know it's a long-shot, but has anyone participated in a trial to treat their fistula(s) using mesenchymal stem cells (i.e., those harvested from you)?

I've tried it all and am about to start a clinical trial at Mayo using a MSC-coated fistula plug in hopes that it helps me with my RVF (developed after successful surgical treatment of an anal fistula). They've used this therapy on anal fistulas and had promising results, so I am hopeful that this less-invasive approach will make a difference (and allow me to be reconnected).

Here's to being a guinea pig!

Thanks for sharing! This is the trial I am participating in (at Mayo):

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03220243

They have completed similar trials with other fistula patients with promising results (around 80% healing a year out, I believe). Main difference here vs. some others is that instead of just injecting stem cells they use a plug to deliver them and, theoretically, enhance the effectiveness.

Just had my first trip to Mayo and visit #1 (EUA, seton placement and stem cell harvesting) is in the books. All went well and I should be headed back in about two months for the plug/stem cells. Feeling hopeful...

@DCCrohns

Are there any updates on your Stem Cell Treatment?!?
I might be getting such a treatment too and wanted to speak to someone who has been through it too!
Thank you for your time
All the best
Luciana

I know it's a long-shot, but has anyone participated in a trial to treat their fistula(s) using mesenchymal stem cells (i.e., those harvested from you)?

I've tried it all and am about to start a clinical trial at Mayo using a MSC-coated fistula plug in hopes that it helps me with my RVF (developed after successful surgical treatment of an anal fistula). They've used this therapy on anal fistulas and had promising results, so I am hopeful that this less-invasive approach will make a difference (and allow me to be reconnected).

Here's to being a guinea pig!

@DCCrohns

Are there any updates on your Stem Cell Treatment?!?
I might be getting such a treatment too and wanted to speak to someone who has been through it too!
Thank you for your time
All the best
Luciana
As of last week, yes! Sadly the first trial did not result in healing for me. However, I just began a new trial (slightly different approach with stem cells) last week at Cleveland Clinic. I am currently in the period where participants don't know if they received placebo or the treatment (last trial didn't have control group), so time will tell (and all participants will eventually receive the treatment).

I am still hoping to avoid a more major surgery to repair the RVF so this is that chance...keeping positive and crossing fingers!

I am in the process of getting a stem sell plug If all goes well It will be done on Feb 28.

As of last week, yes! Sadly the first trial did not result in healing for me. However, I just began a new trial (slightly different approach with stem cells) last week at Cleveland Clinic. I am currently in the period where participants don't know if they received placebo or the treatment (last trial didn't have control group), so time will tell (and all participants will eventually receive the treatment).

I am still hoping to avoid a more major surgery to repair the RVF so this is that chance...keeping positive and crossing fingers!
Good luck! Keep us posted.

Update on stem sell clinical trial - it was a double blind study, donor stem sell injected along the fistula track and suture closure of internal fistula opening. Unfortunately, it did not work for me - lots of swelling and pain followed with increased draining. I do not know if I receive a placebo or not but, I a seton drain will be place back after MRI follow up. OGGGG!

Update on stem sell clinical trial - it was a double blind study, donor stem sell injected along the fistula track and suture closure of internal fistula opening. Unfortunately, it did not work for me - lots of swelling and pain followed with increased draining. I do not know if I receive a placebo or not but, I a seton drain will be place back after MRI follow up. OGGGG!
sounds like we may be in the same trial! I have not been unblinded yet but did have a setback after my first treatment that kind of took me back to where I was before. Wishing you all the best and hoping for healing for both of us.