• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative Colitis and Sacroiliitus and Humira

Hi everyone,

my wife, username kari, has already documented my story here, but I was originally diagnosed with Crohn's in May and then my diagnosis was changed to Ulcerative Colitis (and Sacroiliitus) over the the Fourth of July when I was hospitalized for nearly three weeks.

My UC is under control with prednisone which I am slowly weening off and my sacroiliitus (lower back pain) seems to be improving. Last week, the pain was so bad I needed a walker to move about. The GI doctor I saw in the hospital is not covered under my insurance and I will only be able to see him for one visit in September which doesn't help me decide on treatment as I get off the prednisone. I did see a Rheumatologist (who I also can't see again) who prescribed Humira as the only option for my Sacroiliitus induced back pain.

Now my back pain is improving and I'm wondering if I really need to go on Humira or if there is another option to treat both my UC and Sacroiliitus. I talk to my Primary Care Doctor tomorrow (he's back from vacation) to refer me to a new, insurance covered, GI doctor and Rheumatologist.

Dallies

Dragonfly
Hi SJW and welcome, it's lovely to have Kari's other half join us. I hope you get all the answers you need when you see a new Doc and rheumatogist. xxxxxxxxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi sjw and :welcome:

It's good to see you here. I can't really say about the meds option but obviously a good question to ask your new docs. I'm glad to hear the back pain is improving. This is a great place to hang out so I hope you stick around and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Astra

Hi sjw
and welcome

good to see kari's other half!
I wouldn't completely rule out Humira yet, I would see how you were after all the Pred has gone from your system, this is cos Pred masks symptoms, and altho you feel better now, there's a good chance it might start again when the Pred is finished.
That's just my opinion, but talk it thro with your doc first.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi SJ, I can't give any advice on the meds but just wanted to welcome you. I know you're still having problems but it sounds like a major improvement to where you were when Kari first introduced your story. Good luck and welcome!!!

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Hello SJW,

I have Crohn's Disease as well as sacroiliitis / Ankylosing Spondylitis. I can definitely relate to your predicament.

I am currently on Imuran, Entocort and Asacol. I also go for physiotherapy and practise some basic yoga stretches.

Humira has been mentioned by my General Practitioner, but I too am awaiting a Rheumatologist appointment.

Good luck. I hope you get better soon!