• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

23andme IBD Study

If you're not already a 23andme customer, you can get a free analysis of your genome (normally $99).

As part of your participation in this research study, you will receive complimentary access to 23andMe's Personal Genome Service® (PGS). The Personal Genome Service® provides you with your unique personal genetic profile, including your uninterpreted genetic data and information about your ancestry. Reports and features are updated on an ongoing basis as research uncovers new ways in which genetics relates to ancestry. Participants may be eligible to receive genetic health reports in the future.
You need to qualify:
You've been diagnosed with Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis by a qualified physician.
You're willing to submit a saliva sample for DNA testing and complete online surveys related to your condition.
You have access to the internet.
You are at least 6 years old (minors under 18 require parental consent to enroll).
You are not a 23andMe customer.
You reside in the United States.
https://www.23andme.com/ibd/

nogutsnoglory

I'm very interested in doing this. Has anyone done it yet? What kind of questions are on the survey? I'd like to know what info I'm giving them before enrolling.

Darn, I am a current 23andme customer and therefore can't participate. There is obviously a lot to learn about the genes involved in Crohn's disease. According to 23andme, my genetic profile shows I'm at below average risk for developing it.

Nonutsnoglory, I had already checked out the link and it said existing 23andme customers can't participate in the study but we can contribute by doing the surveys. They're just referring to their own surveys, which I've already done. I hope my data will be factored in to somebody's research to help solve this riddle!

Nonutsnoglory, I had already checked out the link and it said existing 23andme customers can't participate in the study but we can contribute by doing the surveys. They're just referring to their own surveys, which I've already done. I hope my data will be factored in to somebody's research to help solve this riddle!
I think that the existing users' data will be used in the analysis, so you have already done your part.

my little penguin

Staff member
The privately held company, founded in 2006 by Anne Wojcicki and backed by Google Inc, said U.S. drugmaker Pfizer Inc will support its latest research effort.

"We're hoping within a year or two to have some meaningful genetic data and that it might lead to either an improved therapy or a new therapy for IBD," said Catherine Afarian, a spokeswoman for 23andMe, which is based in Mountain View, California.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/829804?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=185734DZ

my little penguin

Staff member
Although there are no cures for either Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, Pfizer is testing its approved Xeljanz arthritis pill as well as four experimental drugs against one or both conditions. The largest U.S. drugmaker does not currently sell any IBD treatments.

Pfizer and 23andMe declined to provide financial details about their collaboration, including whether Pfizer would be able to exclusively license rights to develop drugs that target any gene mutations identified in the study.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/829804?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=185734DZ