• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

crohns disease and sunny weather

hi im newly diagnosed with crohns and since being diagnosied when i am in the sun or warm weather with a tshirt on its like my skin is being burnt it goes all blistererd then scabby every time i go to the doctors they say its either hives or skabbies witch i knew it wasnt my consultant said its to do with the sun and the diease and to use sun cream ive used that and still have not had any luck just wondered if anyone has had the same problem and has any tips of what to do as i am new to this all thank you for reading

my little penguin

Staff member
What meds are you taking for crohns ?
Some make you more susceptible to sun issues
For my kiddo
Long sleeve shirts and wide brimmed hats are a must in the sun
Zinc oxide (thick paste cream ) googles and long sleeve swim shirt as well as a thin swim hood to cover his neck

i am currently not on any meds i had surgery to resection my bowel 7 weeks ago so not on anything right now and its still happning havent took anything for months as everything was making me worse skin still gets very sore if exposed to sun wearing a long sleeve is like torture in hot weather to

As MLP said, some meds make you more sensitive to sunlight than you would be normally. It's also very common for people with Crohn's to have skin conditions, such as psoriasis, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, etc., that can be aggravated by overexposure to sunlight.

Lynda Lynda

What about hyperthyroidism / hypothyroidism ?

I have heat sensitivity and sensitivity to sunlight.
I have hypothyroidism.
The last time I met my sister for coffee at an outdoor cafe, I had to use my umbrella to shield me from the sun.
This is my "new normal."
I wasn't embarrassed to use my umbrella because I live in Arizona, USA, and it's very hot and sunny here.
Many folks use umbrellas and hats to shield themselves from the sun.
And sunscreen is 100% needed here.

I can't even stand outside in the sun, the sunlight feels like a flame thrower is burning my skin.
I get sunburned very easily.
And while I am driving, the sun coming through my drivers side window feels like it is burning the skin on my arm.
Well tinted car windows and 3/4 length or long sleeve shirts are necessary.

Take Care and Stay Healthy 🔆

Scipio

I can't even stand outside in the sun, the sunlight feels like a flame thrower is burning my skin.
I get sunburned very easily.
And while I am driving, the sun coming through my drivers side window feels like it is burning the skin on my arm.
Well tinted car windows and 3/4 length or long sleeve shirts are necessary.
Same here. I'm not hyper- or hypo- thyroid, but I am very sun sensitive. I wear long sleves all the time, even in the summer. When it is sunny I won't eat at an outdoor table unless it is very well shaded. And when driving on sunny days I not only use the visor to block sun coming in the side widow, but I also hold up a hand-held sun shade to block the sun coming in below the visor. I occasionally have to momentarily put down the sun shade when both hands are needed for driving, but I pick it right back up again after I've completed the turn (or whatever it was).

Thank u that is a lot of help and makes lot sense my doctor referred me to dermatologist and bloods to check my thyroids so much to learn and take in I appreciate everyone advice ❤