• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you want your nurse to share their Crohn’s experience?

Hi. I’m a critical care nurse and have had Crohn’s for about 14 years. My question to you guys- when you’re hospitalized would you want your nurse or healthcare provider to mention they have Crohn’s (if they do)? Or just focus on you and your treatment plan? I occasionally take care of patients with Crohn’s and I hesitate to tell them about my experiences with the disease because I don’t want them thinking I’m making the situation about myself.
I’m sure everyone’s different, but if you’re hospitalized would it make you feel more comfortable to know your nurse can relate?

It depends. If it is in a comforting role as in a child or someone who is really scared by this disease it might be helpful.

One possible downside is patients asking you if you think they should do a treatment prescribed by the doctor. Are you prepared to not comment if you think the treatment is wrong or inadequate? Can you even really do that convincingly. While those situations are not a problem for most people, due to your profession it could put you in some uncomfortable situations on occasion.

I am a county volunteer driver for people going to medical facilities. I often will discuss my Crohn’s if someone tells me they have the disease or related conditions. It is sometimes comforting to them to know that I can drive all day long without the disease interfering in my life. A little hope goes a long way sometimes.

Dan

Personally, I would find it very comforting if you shared your experiences. There is always a connection when someone can relate. I don't think it would be about you if you mention it at all. This is why there are spokespeople for diseases - they share their experience and tell you that you can still have a life with crohn's. Definitely it is a comforting thing (in my opinion).

Scipio

I agree that nurses with Crohn's should not relate their experiences with it in a way that might undermine the therapy and advice provided by the GI, but I think it might be nice to know that the nurse is personally interested, invested, and experienced in overcoming the disease