• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Drinking Aloe Vera Juice!

I drink mixed with spring water. In the past I've used 100% apple juice. Remember the sooner you ingest the Aloe the sooner you will notice benefits.
I Do Not use any juices with High Fructose Corn Syrup, especially Sodas. I actually had my first major Flareup after drinking too much soda that day, ended up in hospital. Many studies have shown negative effects from (HFCS).
Very interesting about the high fructose corn syrup and soda, because although crohn's and UC are considered to be rare, I know at least 8 people outside of my own family who have these conditions... they are all people who I have worked with in the past, in the restaurant and bar business, and the one thing we all share in common is that we would sit around at work drinking tons of soda when it was slow, probable out of boredom. Just an observation, but something to consider. I do not drink that stuff anymore because it does make me sick and I don't buy it or allow my kids to have it either... as a precaution. even aside from the IBD issues it can cause, it just isn't healthy or necessary anyway.

High fructose corn syrup murders me.

Within an hour I lose all my energy to the point where walking a few feet is exhausting and get an unquenchable thirst. Then I squirt liquid out my butt for the rest of the day.

It's not fructose malabsorbption because it has a similar fructose profile to standard sucrose which doesn't effect me the same.

Hi All, newbie here - hello to you all.

I just wanted to add my input to this somewhat old thread now which may or may not benefit some people with their decision making process.

I have crohn's colitis and I've been a bit unsettled as of late but nothing to serious thankfully. I recently asked my IBD nurses if they could suggest any natural remedies that could help reduce inflammation and aloe vera was one they suggested.

Having done some research online it seems that a number of people have had a positive response to aloe vera gel (juice or tablets) and so I decided to give it a go.

I can confirm these are bad news for me personally. I took these tablets during a flare some 7 weeks ago and initially I believed (because I was under the impression) that they were helping. I am having another minor flare currently and so decided to take these again and I can confirm that this morning I feel worse for having taken the tablet. I feel like I need the toilet, grumbly stomach and windy to name but a few.

I'll needless to say be steering clear of aloe vera products as they do not benefit me personally.

There are a couple of items that need to be remembered - firstly, it may depend on where your crohn's is - mine is in the large bowel only and so it may not be beneficial for that. Secondly - just give the stuff a try, don't worry about how other people got on, you'll never know until you try it yourself and you'll get a pretty definitive answer.

I got the below from a shop in the UK. The tablets I tried were the extra strength 20000mg - I cannot enter a link because I have less than ten posts, however if you google 'holland and barrett aloe vera gel tablets' and you can see a product that is the same but is the 5000mg version.

There are not overly a lot of ingredients in the product apart from aloe vera gel and product and a couple of other items.

I was reading an earlier post where someone mentioned about TNF being produced when taking aloe vera - well considering my treatment is anti-TNF - this is probably the reason why my body does not like these.

Interesting, I didn't know it boosted TNF.

Strange that it would benefit some patients but not others then?

Perhaps while it boost TNF, it also counteracts what is causing the TNF response?

This goes hand in hand with the theory that AIEC or MAP reside in the macrophages and cause a TNF response. If Aloe Vera is wiping out the macrophages that are filled with them, then it would reduce the TNF caused by the bacteria at the same time.

It's possible / likely that the death of the macrophages has a die-off effect like a herx reaction?

Also possible that not all crohn's has the same causative roots, maybe yours isn't bacterial.

Or that your dose is just too high. I never take more than a cap full or I get gas / a laxative effect.

Applying aloe vera gel is considered safe, but consuming unprocessed juice extracted from the latex can cause several side effects leading to major health risks. Some of the side effects of aloe vera juice are:

1. Aloe vera juice contains a substance called anthraquinone, a laxative, which can cause diarrhea if taken in large amounts. Severe diarrhea can cause pain, cramps and dehydration.

2. Consult your doctor before consuming aloe vera juice, especially if you’re undergoing a medical treatment or taking prescribed drugs, as the juice may cause adverse reactions when consumed along with few medicines. Laxative in aloe vera may even inhibit the absorption of some drugs in the body. Aloe vera juice also reacts to herbs like jalap roots, castor oil, rhubarb root and bark root, causing dehydration and diarrhea. Fenugreek and garlic do not digest well with aloe juice; it can lower blood sugar and potassium levels in the body.

3. Drinking aloe vera juice can result in allergic reactions like skin rash or hives, itchy or swollen skin, difficulty in breathing, chest pain and throat irritation.

4. Aloe vera juice contains latex, an ingredient which has many health risks associated with it. It can aggravate health problems like colitis, Crohn’s disease, appendicitis, diverticulosis, intestinal obstruction, hemorrhoid, stomach pains and ulcers. There are also reports which suggest of hepatitis caused by consumption of aloe vera juice, becoming a cause of concern for people with liver problems.

5. Pregnant and lactating women are strictly forbidden from consuming aloe vera juice, due to its purgative and irritant qualities. It may stimulate uterine contractions in pregnant women, leading to miscarriage and birth defects. Lactating women should also refrain from consuming aloe vera juice, as it contains anthraquinone which may lead to diarrhea. It is also considered unsafe for children below 12 years of age.

6. People, who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and gastrointestinal problem, should not drink aloe vera juice, as it contains high amount of laxatives which can increase the severity of the problem.

7. Drinking unprocessed aloe vera juice can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalance in the body. It also changes urine color to pink or red in color.

8. Consumption of aloe vera juice can lead the body to produce excessive amounts of adrenaline, which can be harmful for people suffering from heart conditions. It can also lower potassium levels in the body, causing irregular heartbeats, weakness and soft muscles. Hence, it is not recommended for children and elderly people.

9. Consuming aloe vera juice, for more than a year can cause pseudomelanosis coli, a condition which increases the risk of colorectal cancer. There are even possibilities of developing carcinogenic risk if consumed in high amounts.

10. Aloe vera juice helps to lower blood sugar levels by decreasing insulin resistance in the body. Thus, people who are undergoing treatment for hypoglycemia or diabetes should consult their physician before consuming aloe vera juice.

11. Overdose of aloe vera juice can cause blood build-up in the pelvis, which leads to kidney damage.

12. Prolonged usage of aloe vera juice can increase the risk of constipation. Also, intake of aloe latex can cause depletion of the potassium from the cells of the intestinal lining.

Hi All. I post on behalf of my teen son. He was diagnosed at the age of 9. He has had varying medication and has finally settled on Humira but has also been taking Aloe drinking Gel by Forever Living Products for a number of years which not only helps with the flare ups but also aids in the immune boost against colds, energy levels and skin conditioning.

I have been using Aloe Vera capsules for about a month. I just couldn't get past the idea of drinking the juice - I don't have to taste the capsules. However they have not only stopped the Crohn's diarrhea, I have been constipated to the point of needing enemas. I am thinking of switching to every other day. Has anybody else experienced constipation from Aloe Vera? Is it just the capsules? Anybody experience it with drinking the juice?

Also, one of my usual Crohn's symptoms is perianal fissures and ulcers that last about 6 weeks. I had a flare of this even while using the Aloe Vera capsules - treated with mild topical hydrocortisone plus lidocaine.

Last edited:
I have been using Aloe Vera capsules for about a month. I just couldn't get past the idea of drinking the juice - I don't have to taste the capsules. However they have not only stopped the Crohn's diarrhea, I have been constipated to the point of needing enemas. I am thinking of switching to every other day. Has anybody else experienced constipation from Aloe Vera? Is it just the capsules? Anybody experience it with drinking the juice?

Also, one of my usual Crohn's symptoms is perianal fissures and ulcers that last about 6 weeks. I had a flare of this even while using the Aloe Vera capsules - treated with mild topical hydrocortisone plus lidocaine.
I believe aloe vera can cause potassium loss in the gut, you might want to supplement with potassium or eat bananas.