• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fluid buildup after surgery

afidz

Super Moderator
I always feel a little weird talking about my surgeries on here because although Crohn’s is the catalyst to al of the surgeries, it’s not Crohn’s related. That being said, I am looking for some input (I’m also trying to get in contact with my surgeon, but he’s 1000 miles away. Just wondering if anyone has had something similar happen)
My last surgery was 8 months ago to repair my abdominal wall. That was the 16th abdominal surgery. Since the 1st surgery I have had problems healing. I’ve had severe complications since the 3rd surgery. We thought I got away from the last surgery with no complications but 4 months post op a random infection popped near my pelvis. It took 3 months, but I was able to get rid of the infection.
A few times in the last month or so I have noticed a collection of fluid under my skin. To help my body get rid of the fluid, I put something tight around my abdomen. By the end of the day, the fluid is gone. But the fluid keeps coming back. I know that muscles produce fluid when they are healing, and I know that that fluid can get infected (been there, done that, have the t-shirt) But at 8 months post op I don’t understand why fluid is still building up. It looks like I have scar tissue forming around where the last infection was, does scar tissue produce fluid as it’s forming/healing?
I’m also noticing some Crohn’s symptoms, but I’m trying not to read to far into it because I have been in remission for almost 10 years and every time I’ve thought I was have symptoms it turned out to be fine and absolutely to worry about.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I don't have any real advice, the only thing I can think of is maybe the muscles are still healing, as you've had so many surgeries I wonder if it's slowed the process down a bit. Other than that I just wanted to send my love, it sucks you're still having to deal with complications so long after the surgery, especially since you've already had to deal with such a lot over the years. I really hope you can get hold of your surgeon soon and get things figured out, and I hope it's a simple fix. Sorry I can't be of real help but wanted to let you know you're being thought of. X