• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How effective is Cannabis and CD?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've had Crohns Disease for 50 years, although diagnosed in 1976. Two bowel resections, and years of sickness. Haven't had a flare in several years. However over the past year I've had severe diarrhea this past year, my GI thought it was IBS, and I just had a fecal test showing abnormal inflamation (CD). I see my GI on Friday to go over results of my test. I'm desperate to control the runs.

While doing research on Cannabis use and CD, I'm curious yet a bit afraid of it. Oregon where I live has legalized it recently for rec use. The drugs I've been taking all have side effects, and potential addiction. I would much rather try this and get off meds for gastroparesis, IBS, Fibromyalgia, Migraine, RLS and try something natural.

(1) How do I approach this with my medical team (GI and PCP) without them thinking that I just want to get high.....which I don't. I just want to function.

(2) How do you find medical cannabis that will treat the CD....something specific to me? Someone who would work with me to get off the other meds?

(3) Interested in others experience with MM.

Many thanks

As far as I know, cannabis doesn't react with any of the meds we take for CD/UC. Not everyone can use cannabis either. I would personally try it and see if it helps your symptoms first, especially since it is legal for recreational use where you are. Your best bet it to eat it somehow (brownies, tincture or something). Then the meds get to where they need to go (in the gut). I use it to help keep some of my symptoms under control. Cannabis has also been proven to work in tandem with our meds and can actually help your meds work a little bit faster/better.

As far as I know, cannabis doesn't react with any of the meds we take for CD/UC. Not everyone can use cannabis either. I would personally try it and see if it helps your symptoms first, especially since it is legal for recreational use where you are. Your best bet it to eat it somehow (brownies, tincture or something). Then the meds get to where they need to go (in the gut). I use it to help keep some of my symptoms under control. Cannabis has also been proven to work in tandem with our meds and can actually help your meds work a little bit faster/better.
Thank you so much for responding. I have had reservations about this. Trying it in the evening would probably be best?

Definitely in the evening. Make sure you have no plans to go out anywhere, it will definitely impair you :) If going the route of edibles, have a little bit, and see how your symptoms are. It is much better to err on the side of caution and not have enough instead of too much. Don't worry, you can't overdose and die, but if you ingest too much you may feel like you are, lol

It depends on the strain and the potency of what you're smoking.
Even if it's not entirely legal, it doesn't matter. Trust me, this thing reacts very well with a lot of the symptoms Crohn's brings to the table.
First of all, let's put aside the effects that THC gifts you (i.e. openness, lowered inhibitions, relaxation), it also reduces inflammations, enough for you to feel less pain. On top of that it works as an anti-depressive. It's a joy sometimes.
Try not to make a habit of it though. It can become one if you use it as the means to treat pain every time, and that's not necessarily bad if you don't have plans to go out like the person above me said. Just don't like it affect you negatively.

That said, I smoke recreationally. And it helps. When I'm feeling nauseous, which has been often recently, it helps. It also reduces the pain and makes simple things more enjoyable.
So give it a try yourself and see. Try to mix with less tobacco for a better result as tobacco can upset the stomach/intestines.