• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introduction

Hello! I was recently hospitalized for sever diarrhea and dehydration, which led to the diagnosis of Crohns. This episode started about a month ago and then a couple of weeks ago I was so sick that I went to the ER and they diagnosed me with Giardia. I wasn't responding to the medication so a couple of days later, an emergency visit to the GI landed me in the hospital where a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy were done. I got to go home on Christmas Day (yay!) and a couple of days later the doc called and said that the biopsies revealed ileitis, gastritis, and inflammation in the duodenum all of which points to crohns (her words). A pill cam is next. Meanwhile I've completed the cipro and flagyl courses and am just on bentyl, entocort, and the super dose of Zantac for a couple of months.

But- I'm still having damn diarrhea every single day! It's nowhere near what is was when it was watery and 30+ times a day, but it's about 5-8 times/day and with urgency and irritation. Is this just the new norm?

I'm 29 and have had gi issues for about 12 years off and on, with the most recent and concerning stuff beginning after the birth of my first child 3 years ago; and then my second sons birth 10 months ago really sent things awry.

Anyway, glad I found this forum!

You basically have it where I do mine is granulomatous jejunoiileitis and gastro duodenal crohns. I'm glad you found this forum! Hormone fluctuations for me trigger flares. Also I feel like everything else does too!) you should probably be rechecked soon for cdiff. After the flagyl cipro plus methyl prednisone regimen they give me everytime I end up in ER my GI always checks my stool for cdiff. The drugs they gave you can cause a cdiff overgrowth plus the hospital stay itself. Get it checked even though bringing poo to the dr is not fun! Hopefully that will come back clear. If you've not already start a poop and food diary. Both have helped me through the years and my doctor appreciates me actually doing them. Hope you feel better soon

It shouldn't be the norm when you reach remission. Entocort is a GI specific steroid as opposed to pred which is systemic. Entocort is usually used to dampen the inflammation and most times another med is started to be a maintenance med. Although sometimes Ento Cort is used longer than 3 months most times it is tapered when a maintenance med reaches therapeutic levels.

I agree with possibly getting a cdiff stool test after being hospitalized and using those antibiotics.

Thanks guys! I was checked for cdiff while in the hospital the second time over the last couple of weeks (when I stayed a few days), and it was negative. I will mention it when I call GI tomorrow though. I'm also still losing about .5-1lb each day, and have gone from around 124 to 113 over the last month (I'm 5'6"). Hmmmm. Does it sound like Crohns? Maybe I haven't fully accepted the diagnosis 😕

If you can't eat properly or need extra nutrition to maintain weight you can supplement with nutritional shakes. You can use over the counter brands like boost or ensure or your GI can px a formula (though there not as palatable). All these are broken down to different extents and easier for your body to absorb when dealing with malabsorption issues due to active inflammation.