• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Losing my HAIR on Cimzia

I'm losing my hair as if severe Crohns isn't bad enough, gastro doc said what's that when I showed himmy hair falling out as I pushed my fingers thru my hair,
CIMZIA doesn't list it as a side effect but I've been looking on google and I'm not the only one. Anyone have similar symptoms or suggestions?

Morrish, I'm on Cimzia and I haven't had that problem and I have been on it for about 2 years now. I must say this is the first time I've heard of this side effect and I have looked on many site to see if I can relate some of my pain and feeling bad everyday was a side effect of Cimzia. I'm very sorry that you are having this kind of trouble. I know my hair is very important to me. I wish you the best of luck and I will keep checking back to see if anyone else is having this problem.
Best of luck!

Hi morrish, I have been on cimzia for a year and a half and have noticed some hair loss after starting, however, recently I have noticed significant hair loss [and I have thin hair to begin with :( ]. I had some blood work done which indicated I had very low iron, which could be causing a lot of this hair loss. Have you had blood work done recently? Possibly that could provide some answers. But I will tell you that my blood work before recently was normal (even tho still experiencing active crohns) and I still had hair loss with taking cimzia. I do think that the hair loss is related to the cimzia. I was on remicade and Humira before and I didn't have unusual hair loss back then :(. My doctors say it doesn't cause hair loss but I don't fully believe this. It seems we all tolerate medications differently.

My GI doc has checked my blood last week and next week again, blood work is good, I honestly think its the Cimzia and I need to speak with the company.

nogutsnoglory

Morrish you are right that the website doesn't list hair loss as a side effect but it is indeed a reported effect. My friend has this issue and when she called UCB the pharmaceutical company that makes Cimzia they said there is a small population that faces this problem. So small they weren't required to list it. I would encourage you to call them to report the side effect and find out if they offer any advice.