• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Polyp found after clean colonoscopies

Yesterday I went in for my sigmoidoscopy. The reason for it was rectal bleeding and left sided abdominal pain. I have had colonoscopies not too long ago; one was in 2016 because of occult bleeding and another one in 2017 because of persistent pain. Both were clear and all they found were small piles.

Well after my sigmoidoscopy yesterday they told me the piles were still there but they also found a polyp that they believe could have been causing the bleeding. They sent it to the lab and I get the results in a week, but I’m just confused as to how this happened?? I think that most of us expected it to be that the piles had grown and were causing increased blood because neither of the previous tests had found any evidence of polyps. Is it possible that they could have missed it? From my understanding polyps grow pretty slowly so I can’t see how it would have developed in less than a year.

I’m young too, 18. My issues started at 16.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Polyps can form over a year...I've had them pop up now and again over the years, don't remember when the first one was found, but I do remember having a couple removed when I was in my early 20's.

I wouldn't worry too much, most turn out to be benign....mine all have been!

Bufford

I wouldn't worry too much about it, polyps are fairly common, and by having regular scopes the doctor can keep an eye on things. Removal of polyps during a scope is good maintenance. Over the years I have had polyps removed as they grew and its been of no concern. Biopsies are done and come up negative. Knowing the doctor is monitoring me with these scopes gives me confidence.

As others have said, polyps can form over the course of a year or so, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Having a polyp at 18 is a little unusual, though. My first one was found during my first ever colonoscopy. I was in my mid 20s at the time. I was told that puts me at increased risk and that it's important that I have regular colonoscopies, so it's something you'll want to stay on top of. As long as you get regular colonoscopies, I wouldn't worry too much.