• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Return to Humira?

Has anyone else been on Humira, stopped, then restarted? How did that work out for you?

I was on Humira for about a year, about 5 years ago. It was working really well for me - totally symptom free. Then through a series of unfortunate and stupid events (moved out of state, changed jobs, which meant changed insurance, then a never-returned phone call from the new insurance company who seemed completely confused about delivering a medication *paired with* my then-disbelief that I even had Crohn's - my former Dr. somehow gave me the impression that maybe I didn't have it) I just stopped taking it (stupidly hoping that with a move from a polluted city to the country/having less stress, this whole problem would just disappear on its own). I lasted about 3 years symptom free, then started having a flare about 10 months ago. Went on steroids while I waited to see a GI, which did help the symptoms mainly go away. I went back on the Humira Feb. 11th (post-Prednisone). At first it seemed to be working but has since gone downhill, and just this week it's definitely getting worse - mucus/diarrhea and noticeable blood.

My new Dr. has been absolutely no help. I messaged him about my concerns and asked how long he usually waits to discuss new treatment options (especially since I've heard that trying to go back on a 2nd time usually doesn't work), and his only response was: I can't tell you anything until we do a new colonoscopy; let us know if you want to schedule one. That's all fine and dandy, but what am I supposed to do in the meantime!?! Not to mention the fact that it takes me 4 hours just to get to their office + I'm worried about going to a medical facility in the middle of a pandemic!

-------------------

Crohn's
Humira 40 mg every other week
Trying to be better about regularly remembering to take daily multivitamin and Omega-3's

I was on Humira from 2011 -2019 got taken off of it because I had abscess so my GI took me off of Humira for about a year and put me back on it for about a month and a half I started growing antibodies to Humira so I have be put on something else

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds was on humira for 5 years had to stop for 8 weeks due to non ibd surgery
Restarted and it never worked
Sounds like you have to get a scope (if they are still doing them ).
Probably MRE imaging as well .
Most large medical office complexes are empty now.
Ds still has to go be seen as well

Good luck

Thanks to you both - I assumed what happened in your 2 responses are most common, which really bums me out b/c I have no clue if other medications are as easy/cheap as Humira.
I'd just love to hear someone say they successfully restarted Humira. My flare is not gone, but it's actually better since I first posted this (gave myself a break by eating less food and drinking much more water), so I'm currently hopeful that maybe that someone will be me.