• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Hi everyone,

I have had crohns for 25 years, I started with imuran and have been on humira for quite a long time. I do have narrowing and have had a few blockages over the years. My GI thinks I could close to surgery, but not quite yet. I have started a lowfiber diet, and some extra sleep. I have been reading about two things I might give a try, acupuncture and probiotics. My question is, have you tried these? What was your experience? Is it possible for acupuncture to make things worse? And how would I know what probiotic and how much to take?

thanks!

Hello. I tried acupuncture when first diagnosed, it wasn’t enough in itself but the studies I have seen people were having it several times a week and I couldn’t afford that. Probiotics wise my GI suggested vsl#3 and I find that helps a bit with symptoms but again isn’t sufficient by itself. It’s quite expensive and there is a slightly cheaper almost identical version called vivomixx.

The strategy I take now is to do everything I can that might help a little bit in the hopes I can be as well as possible. So I’m on biologics but also take vitamin d3 and k2 first thing, eat gluten free and low grain low sugar, organic food as much as I can afford, vivomixx probiotic, olive leaf extract with dinner and magnesium before bed. All this is not cheap and I still feel tired and a bit unwell all the time but I am not as seriously ill as I have been in the past with this wretched illness.

I also take b12 spray as had resection a while ago so can’t absorb.

In your position I think probiotics and acupuncture might help and wouldn’t hurt. I would suggest thinking about vitamin d if you don’t already take it, depending where you live.

Best wishes.

Hello. I tried acupuncture when first diagnosed, it wasn’t enough in itself but the studies I have seen people were having it several times a week and I couldn’t afford that. Probiotics wise my GI suggested vsl#3 and I find that helps a bit with symptoms but again isn’t sufficient by itself. It’s quite expensive and there is a slightly cheaper almost identical version called vivomixx.

The strategy I take now is to do everything I can that might help a little bit in the hopes I can be as well as possible. So I’m on biologics but also take vitamin d3 and k2 first thing, eat gluten free and low grain low sugar, organic food as much as I can afford, vivomixx probiotic, olive leaf extract with dinner and magnesium before bed. All this is not cheap and I still feel tired and a bit unwell all the time but I am not as seriously ill as I have been in the past with this wretched illness.

I also take b12 spray as had resection a while ago so can’t absorb.

In your position I think probiotics and acupuncture might help and wouldn’t hurt. I would suggest thinking about vitamin d if you don’t already take it, depending where you live.

Best wishes.
Thanks! That was similar to my thinking, none of these options are going to be the only
Treatment, but every little bit helps.

I tried accupuncture, did't really work for me. But everyone is different, so its worth a shot. I don't think there is any downside as long as you go to a reputable person who uses new needles every time.

I agree with delta. I do alot of other things that help a little. D3 K2 I think is a must for everyone. I also take olive leaf extract among other things.

I tried accupuncture, did't really work for me. But everyone is different, so its worth a shot. I don't think there is any downside as long as you go to a reputable person who uses new needles every time.

I agree with delta. I do alot of other things that help a little. D3 K2 I think is a must for everyone. I also take olive leaf extract among other things.
What is K2?

vitamin K2. A lot of literature says you should take it with D3. IF you hit up google and search D3 K2, you will find that they commonly are sold together in one pill. I take 5000 iu of vitmain d3 with 100mcg of K2 in the mk7 form.

Scipio

Try the acupuncture or other uncoenventional treatments and see if they help, but just be sure you use them in addtion to your Humira or other drugs prescribed by your GI and not in place of those medications.

Try the acupuncture or other uncoenventional treatments and see if they help, but just be sure you use them in addtion to your Humira or other drugs prescribed by your GI and not in place of those medications.
Absolutely!