• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thoughts on routine Colonoscopy during Pandemic

I am due to go in for a Colonoscopy in early 2021. My GI likes to do them every other year and an MRI in the opposite year. With Covid I do not feel comfortable going in for a medical procedure in the hospital. My doctor works out of NYU in NYC so no freestanding building.

My thought is to ask to do another MRI this year and a colonoscopy in 2022. I am currently in remission so these are just routine to confirm my current regiment is working. Physically I mostly feel fine. I have had some diarrhea and gas lately but nothing too extreme in my opinion.

What are others thoughts on going in for a colonoscopy during Covid when it is not urgent?

Personally I might ask for blood test and stool test to check inflammation under control then postpone the colonoscopy for six months as scipio suggests. Now the vaccine is around the corner there’s a good chance healthcare staff will be top of the queue so by summer risk of covid would be a lot lower I hope. I suspect things may get worse virus wise before they get better as there seems to be a deluded idea that people can mix at Christmas without infecting each other. I hope I’m wrong obviously. But Jan/Feb might be times to avoid any non essential hospital trips.

I had a colonoscopy in July as a 1 year follow-up to Crohn's diagnosis, and being on Humira. All went well and I am in remission. Feeling good. I was a little nervous, but, it worked out for me. If your doctor agrees to put it off for a few months and you are doing well, that sounds like a feasible plan. Good luck!

I had a colonoscopy in July as a 1 year follow-up to Crohn's diagnosis, and being on Humira. All went well and I am in remission. Feeling good. I was a little nervous, but, it worked out for me. If your doctor agrees to put it off for a few months and you are doing well, that sounds like a feasible plan. Good luck!
Thank you! I plan to talk to him in January on my next appt. He is pretty reasonable and I do not think he will object given the circumstances

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I had a routine colonoscopy done the last day in September and had no problem at all. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago and my GI had been bugging me to do it. I too am in remission although, he did find some inflammation. I'm sure all will be fine with you too! Take care! :)