• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vitamin D and Crohn's Disease

Thought this interesting to point out about synthetic vitamin D verses naturally made sun expose vitamin D. Naturally made D works more efficiently in the body over synthetic vitamin pills. The reason being that up to a dozen other substances are manufactured in the skin from UVB exposure.

Of course for many during winter time it is not possible to obtain vitamin D other than from pills.

"Sunshine Superman"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/supplements/sunshine-superman/

snippet from Dr. Eades's article:

...The trade off, in my opinion, is well worth it. Especially when it’s possible to have the best of both worlds and avoid both the premature aging, minor skin cancers AND the breast, prostate and colon cancers (not to mention multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, and the host of other disorders laid at the doorstep of too little vitamin D) by sensible sun exposure.

Dr. Holick tells you how. He provides charts and tables telling you how much sun exposure you require for adequate vitamin D synthesis depending upon where you live in the world. And he describes how you can make up any difference by taking vitamin D supplements.

Why not just take the supplements and forget about the sun?

Vitamin D made in the skin lasts at least twice as long in the blood as vitamin D ingested from the diet. When you are exposed to sunlight, you make not only vitamin D but also at least five and up to ten additional photoproducts that you would never get from dietary sources or from a supplement.

Old Mother Nature is pretty parsimonious with her creations, and I suspect she wouldn’t have five to ten photoproducts circulating around if they didn’t do something good for us. Just because we aren’t advanced enough yet to figure out what it is they do, doesn’t mean they don’t do something. Thus Dr. Holick’s recommendation to hit the sun if at all possible instead of the supplement bottle.

Plus, there are some downsides to indiscriminately throwing back the supplements without monitoring your 25 (OH)D levels. See here and here, for example....
&

"Proceed at your peril"

http://blog.vitamindcouncil.org/2012/05/21/proceed-at-your-peril/

From Dr. Cannell's sight:

Dr Cannell discusses the possible dangers of completely avoiding all UV light and how supplements should not be your only source of vitamin D.

Vitamin D didn't prevent me from developing Crohn's. I've been on 50,000 IU's (a very high dose) for the past 3 years (after breaking my ankle) and was recently diagnosed April 2013 after 6 months of ongoing and terrible stomach symptoms. Just my $0.02.

Shrewsie-

Do you make that everyday? I do and it sure helps me.

How about B and B 12? I had mine tested Friday and will
get the numbers this week

Lauren

Hi Shrewsie and Welcome to the Forum:

Glad you found this forum as there are lots of great people you can chat with about CD.

What supplements, if any, did you take with the D3? If you do not take any of the profactors with the D3, it will not help ease Crohns symptoms or help prevent it. Some of the profactors I am aware of are:

Folic Acid
Magnesium
Zinc
Vitamin K

I'm curious if you have taken any of these profactors during the past three years.

Lisa

Vitamin D didn't prevent me from developing Crohn's. I've been on 50,000 IU's (a very high dose) for the past 3 years (after breaking my ankle) and was recently diagnosed April 2013 after 6 months of ongoing and terrible stomach symptoms. Just my $0.02.
Maybe because people with crohn's don't absorb it. If you got the injections, it could help.:ghug:

Is this kinda like what came first the chicken or the egg?

I think because we have CD we have a malabsorption
issue. Therefor our Vit levels are low. Not that because
our levels are low did we develope CD

Lauren

These are all good thoughts and theories! I definitely feel there could be a malabsorption component in a lot of people. 3 years ago I tested low for Vitamin D and B12, now that I'm on supplements my levels are better than normal. However I'm still in a Crohn's flare that started about 7 months ago. Perhaps my symptoms would be exceedingly terrible if I had never taken high dose Vit D?

Hi Shrewsie and Welcome to the Forum:

Glad you found this forum as there are lots of great people you can chat with about CD.

What supplements, if any, did you take with the D3? If you do not take any of the profactors with the D3, it will not help ease Crohns symptoms or help prevent it. Some of the profactors I am aware of are:

Folic Acid
Magnesium
Zinc
Vitamin K

I'm curious if you have taken any of these profactors during the past three years.

Lisa

My multivitamin has Folic Acid, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin K; Does that count? I also juice carrots, spinach and other veggies and fruit on a daily basis. In addition to the D and B12, I've been on 2000mg Omega 3 daily since 2005. I have a lot of food allergies which I've pretty much eliminated from my diet since 2007 (corn, wheat, chocolate and coffee). Is there more I could be doing? If so, I'm willing to try most reasonable vitamins, supplements and dietary modifications.

My multivitamin has Folic Acid, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin K; Does that count? I also juice carrots, spinach and other veggies and fruit on a daily basis. In addition to the D and B12, I've been on 2000mg Omega 3 daily since 2005. I have a lot of food allergies which I've pretty much eliminated from my diet since 2007 (corn, wheat, chocolate and coffee). Is there more I could be doing? If so, I'm willing to try most reasonable vitamins, supplements and dietary modifications.
Do you eat processed foods at all? They should be eliminated as well. They can contain hazardous chemicals and GMOS we don't know about. Sugar should be eliminated because of the yeast factor. Do you take a good probiotic?

Sounds like you are doing the right things Lisa! Wish I could be of more help to you! Prayer too!:ghug:
Oh, thanks Teresa. My daughter is doing so much better and she is taking absolutely no meds, so it's very exciting! It's been a long, difficult winter, but now that spring is here and she's feeling better, she is gonna get out there and have some fun!

How about you? How have you been doing lately?

Lisa

I have been having stomach problems and D off and on. But am not going through anymore tests. I have script for a stool sample, but it's useless. I don't have cdiff or parasites. I was already tested last yr for that. My last catscan didn't show crohns this time. But now am having symptoms. Either I have IBS or mild crohns. Not sure,but,Thanks tough.
I'm so glad your daughter is med free and able to go out and play!!!:yoshijumpjoy:

Spooky1

I've got D3 5,000iu with vit k2 in it. I am at the mo taking 2 tablets a day with magnesium citrate and 50mg zinc + b vits in high doses. I know vit D3 needs fat to absorb it, but I have huge issues absorbing any type of fat. I'm taking it with a teaspoon of peanut butter. just restarted 5 htp and organic apple cider vinegar for bad reflux.

I have stomach and duodenal ulcers and crohns in the PEG tract and I want to know if the cider vinegar is going to do it good or bad. Any ideas anyone?
thanks

I've got D3 5,000iu with vit k2 in it. I am at the mo taking 2 tablets a day with magnesium citrate and 50mg zinc + b vits in high doses. I know vit D3 needs fat to absorb it, but I have huge issues absorbing any type of fat. I'm taking it with a teaspoon of peanut butter. just restarted 5 htp and organic apple cider vinegar for bad reflux.

I have stomach and duodenal ulcers and crohns in the PEG tract and I want to know if the cider vinegar is going to do it good or bad. Any ideas anyone?
thanks
I would think acid would be VERY bad!!!!Besides they proved it doesn't work anyway!

I would think acid would be VERY bad!!!!Besides they proved it doesn't work anyway!
I agree. I would stay away from anything with acid in it. Taking the D3, zinc, vitamin K2 & magnesium will help alot. My daughter takes all those along with aloe vera liquid, calcium, L-Glutamine, S. Boulardii & probiotics and she is doing better everyday. She also is sure to get out in the sun, without sunscreen, for at least 20 minutes eveyday (everyday the sun is out, that is). She just had her blood drawn so we may add iron and B12, and other supplements, if we find she is low in anything.

Teresa - Sorry to hear you are having some issues. Please pm me now and then to let me know how yoy are doing.

Lisa

Do you eat processed foods at all? They should be eliminated as well. They can contain hazardous chemicals and GMOS we don't know about. Sugar should be eliminated because of the yeast factor. Do you take a good probiotic?
I consume very little processed food because most of it has hidden corn ingredients. I'm on a special probiotic that my General Practitioner orders for me. I'm also on Nystatin daily to keep yeast and other gut fungus under control.

Dr called with my Vit D level from Friday.

Oops, it's 110. Just. Little high- going to back down my
50,000 a day to once a week.

Lauren
That's great! I've met many Crohnies who find that if they keep there D level a little over 100, they don't have flares as often as they did in the past. Very cool!!

I am starting to slow down on the "episodes"
so maybe the Humira is kicking in along with the
VitD. The joints in some of my fingers are giving
me a lot of trouble and my doc thinks its the elevated
vitD. I reminded him it was like this before I ever took
it! He wants to take a wait and see approach. Ofcourse
he does!!

Lauren

You both hit the nail in the head! Everyone knows that D3 is far more beneficial than D2 because the body absorbs D3 better. Absorption is key. Knowing this, why do you think that when my daughter's D was so low (so low it didn't even register on the test) that her GI prescribed D2 supplements rather than D3? Because D2 is only available by prescription and they make money when we fill the prescriptions they write. They don't make any money if they recommend you go to your local supermarket to buy a bottle of Vitamin D3. It will take some time, but once people realize the many benefits of Vitamin D3 and people start buying lots of D3 supplements, the medical establishment will not be happy because they aren't making a profit from those sales, so they will take Vitamin D3 off the shelves, hike up the prices, and will only allow you to get D3 by prescription so that the cash will start flowing their way again. Mark my words. This will happen. The only question is when.

Spooky1

just out of interest, could I ask what dose people start on for D3 when looking to get their levels up? I'm just wondering if there is a maximum level. My doc doesn't like to test for D3 so I know I won't know what they are in future. They don't particularly like people taking minerals and vitamins. Strange, i'd do anything to help myself get well.

just out of interest, could I ask what dose people start on for D3 when looking to get their levels up? I'm just wondering if there is a maximum level. My doc doesn't like to test for D3 so I know I won't know what they are in future. They don't particularly like people taking minerals and vitamins. Strange, i'd do anything to help myself get well.
Hi Spooky:

I had the same issue with my daughter's GI. Even if I requested to have her Vitamin D level tested, they would refuse to test it even though they were already drawing blood for other tests. Very frustrating! :ybatty: So, I decided to buy my own blood spot tests and test it myself. I've used the test several times and it's easy. You can order them here: https://vitamindcouncil.zrtlab.com/

BTW - I wanted to know what all of my daughter's vitamin & mineral levels were so I kept taking her to various natural doctors until I finally found one who tests them every few months as part of her natural treatment plan. Keep looking for a doctor who believes in preventive natural treatments and they will test all of your vitamin and mineral levels on a regular basis. I think everyone should know what their levels are, have them checked on a regular basis, and supplement accordingly. How can we decide what dosage we should take unless we know what are levels are to begin with? Keep looking until you find a doctor who will test your levels every few months. It's the best way to help you make the right choices about your supplementation strategy.

Wishing you all the best!

Lisa :eek:utahere:

Start at 1000 units. If your doc doesnt want to test the levels find a new one. My doc wrote the textbooks used by most med schools and he is big on d levels. It is not just a natural medicine thing.
You want to get your levels tested professionally. Everyone treats d differently and dosage is tough to get right. Your doc hould help you gettherre

Spooky1

No, British docs don't really care, they qualify and just turn up for their pay, then a good pension. We can't force them to do anything, and changing docs is not always easy. Have to see one in the catchment area of where we live. Shame really.

I've always allowed myself some time in the sun with no protection to get some vitamin D. But for me, 40 minutes is long enuf or I burn easy! I am Irish and pale as a ghost!

I've always allowed myself some time in the sun with no protection to get some vitamin D. But for me, 40 minutes is long enuf or I burn easy! I am Irish and pale as a ghost!
I hear ya. Sunburns are not fun so it's important for us to know how much unprotected time we can have in the sun without getting burned.

I'm largely northern European in ancestry also. My genealogy is mainly Irish, English, and Swedish.

I used to burn in the past somewhat easily. Of late I've noticed that hasn't been the case. Instead now I tan most of the time. I've read of others experiencing similar once taking vitamin D supplements. Once vitamin D levels are higher, burning becomes less common. That probably isn't the case for everyone though.

I guess too there is only so much vitamin D one can make from the sun at a time. It depends on skin color, but for me probably after 10-15 minutes in the sun I've made all the D3 that I will.

Saw today that the newspaper The Daily Mail has an article on the debate revolving around melanoma skin cancer and whether the sun plays a roll in its cause or not.

It's a hot topic, and Dr. Briffa has a write up on the Daily Mail's article concerning the two sides debating points.

"How does sunlight cause melanomas on the soles of the feet?"

snippet:

...In his piece, Sam Shuster points out that about 75 per cent of melanomas occur in relatively unexposed sites of the body. Elsewhere, he draws our attention to a form of melanoma known as acral lentiginous melanoma, where typical sites include the soles of the feet, palms of the hand and the inside of the mouth. The Daily Mail piece today even draws our attention to this paradox, including in its title which references ‘hotspots’ for cancers including the soles of the feet.

In his BMJ piece, Sam Schuster also draws our attention to the evidence showing that in Europe and the US, melanoma incidence and deaths due to melanoma fall as sun exposure increases.

Some say that it’s not sunlight per se that causes melanoma but intermittent sun exposure and/or burning, especially in early life (the counter-argument piece argues this position). Sam Shuster pours cold water on this theory though, by writing that this theory: “is easily excluded, because the melanomas would then occur at the burn sites; there is no evidence for this, and it is unlikely that any will be found, because sunburn occurs in sun exposed sites, and these are not the sites at which melanomas occur.”

The BMJ allows people to comment on articles on-line in the form of ‘rapid responses’. One of the rapid responses comes from surgeon who suggests that Sam Shuster has taken leave of his senses. Here’s an extract:

As a newly qualified doctor who spent 8 weeks last year studying at the Sydney Melanoma centre I was dumbfounded by the claims made against a link between sun exposure and melanoma. Having spent time with endless patients reporting hours of sun exposure and sunburn in earlier years and now presenting with cancerous lesions I believe that Dr Shuster may benefit from a similar “elective” in order to change his mind on the melanoma theory! Rubbishing the claims that the high incidences of melanoma do not occur in sun bathed areas seems bizarre.

Oh, dear. Notice the complete absence of reference to relevant science here. The observations this doctor made fit his pre-conceived beliefs so, voila, the answer is obvious (to him). There is a term for this sort of (faulty) thinking: confirmation bias. This doctor suggests Sam Shuster could do with an educational trip down-under, but I suggest he himself might take a trip to a relevant textbook or the internet to read about the scientific method.

But don’t lose complete faith in medical professionals just yet. Compare and contrast that first response with a later one which comes from another surgeon:

We most certainly do NOT know for sure that sunlight exposure is directly responsible for melanoma. As Schuster so rightly states, debate based on opinion is precisely what we don’t need in this area. We need hard evidence, and our profession isn’t always the best at offering advice on this basis....
The rest of the article can be read at:

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/06/11/...ium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+drbriffa/sOZf+(Dr

And with that it is a gorgeous sunny day here in central Illinois! Think after lunch I'll have to find time to soak up some sun for a few minutes.

Something I've noticed since sun bathing a few times a week, for a few minutes at a time, is that my skin doesn't seem to be wrinkling as often said happens. I suspect this is due to the short time I bath, and the antioxidant rich diet I eat. If anything I'd say my skin appears healthier.

I've been using the D Minder app developed by a fellow chronie. According to the app my blood level is around 80. I've been getting at least 1.5 hours of shn per week during correct times for maximum sun exposure. I usually get it in 20-30
Min sessions.

Hey everyone, thought I'd just drop in for a minute before work today for a quick update...

I started taking Vitamin D, calcium, magnesium supplements during the first week of February of this year. It's a few pages back in this thread. :)

So here we are, six months down the road. Overall, I feel *much* improved since I started taking the Vit D, but it still has not had any significant effect on my CD symptoms.

I take Azathioprine as part of my CD management, and as you probably know, it's a very strong immune system suppressant. That being the case, I have quite a bit more than my fair share of upper respiratory infections, averaging one URI every six weeks. Since I started taking supplemental Vit D, I have had a total of two URI's in the last six months. Huge improvement.

Pretty much enjoying all of the benefits I previously posted.

I recently added a couple more supplements: a cheap multivitamin, and a METHYLcobalamin vitamin B12. Notice the emphasis on the "METHYL"... it's a relatively new form of b12. Do a Google search on it. : )

I'm about three weeks in to the B12, and have noticed as much of a benefit from it as I have from the supplemental D, especially with energy levels.

Aside from the primary CD symptoms, I'm doing the best I have in years.

Off to work... Wishing everyone the most CD-free day ever!

To CrohnsDaddy.....Read your list of meds and liked "Supportive Wife - 1 unit". I will def go get the Methyl....B12. Need some energy. Thanks.

Spooky1

still got extreme fatigue despite b12 injections. might try the methyl. feel less anxiety from d3, mag citrate, calcium, zinc, super strong b vits. crohns no better yet. I live in hope.

To CrohnsDaddy.....Read your list of meds and liked "Supportive Wife - 1 unit". I will def go get the Methyl....B12. Need some energy. Thanks.
I can't imagine taking this "Crohn's Journey" alone. The support of my wife and kids is far more effective than any medication.

I hope the B12 is as effective for you as it was for me. :) After reading up on fatigue, it (like so many other symptoms) has a myriad of causes, some treatable, others not. But at the base of this rather complicated puzzle is B12; it's one of the basic building blocks your body needs to keep the fire fueled.

still got extreme fatigue despite b12 injections. might try the methyl. feel less anxiety from d3, mag citrate, calcium, zinc, super strong b vits. crohns no better yet. I live in hope.
Best wishes, my friend.

It might be worth your time to seek out a physician that specializes in fatigue management and treatment.

Reducing Infections In Patients From Neurosurgical ICU Via Vitamin D Supplementation

Vitamin D influences many other physiological processes, including muscle function, cardiovascular homeostasis, nerve function, and immune response. Furthermore, accumulated evidence suggests that vitamin D also mediates the immune system response to infection.

Infections are very common in patients from neurosurgical intensive care units.

A recent study published in the Neural Regeneration Research (Vol. 8, No. 16, 2013) detected serum vitamin D level in 15 patients with clinically suspected infection and 10 patients with confirmed infection, who came from neurosurgical intensive care units. Serum level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D, the primary circulating form of vitamin D, was significantly decreased in patients with suspected or confirmed infection after a 2-week neurosurgical intensive care unit hospitalization, while serum level of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, the active form of vitamin D, was significantly decreased in patients after a 4-week neurosurgical intensive care unit hospitalization.

These findings suggest that vitamin D deficiency is linked to the immunological status of neurosurgical intensive care unit patients and vitamin D supplementation can improve patient's immunological status.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/263410.php

It is an observation study and with that doesn't provide proof. Additionally it requires a membership to read the whole article, but thought interesting and thought to post. From Dr. Cannell's sight:

"Does vitamin D keep Crohn’s patients out of the hospital?"

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/does-vitamin-d-keep-crohns-patients-out-of-the-hospital/

snippet:

New research published in the journal Inflammatory Bowel Disease reports that higher vitamin D status is associated with a decreased risk of hospitalization and surgery for patients suffering from inflammatory bowel disease.

Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are inflammatory bowel diseases, both characterized by extreme gastrointestinal problems and discomfort. Almost two-thirds of patients with Crohn’s and one-fifth of those with ulcerative colitis will eventually require surgery for management of their disease. Many patients with inflammatory bowel diseases will require hospitalization at some point for issues related to their disease.

To date, cross-sectional studies have found an association between low vitamin D levels and increased disease activity in Crohn’s. There has also been a randomized controlled trial that has shown that vitamin D supplementation can lower the rate of relapse (when disease activity flares-up).

In this study, Dr. Ashwin N. Ananthakrishnan and colleagues wanted to know if vitamin D modified the risk of Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis patients needing surgery or hospitalization....

So I just had my vit D tested and it came back 31 despite getting several hours of sun per week in sunny Los Angeles! I have been using the D minder app since march which is wonderful but I though I would be at around 70 vit D levels according to app and how much sun I've been getting. I have NOT been taking the vit d cofactors but started up on those again. Really tan and really bummed my D levels are not higher.

JohnnyO, I hope at least some of the time spent sunbath was at a few of the beautiful CA beaches! I enjoy my time at the beach.

Along with co-factor deficiencies, I've seen write ups on taking steroids for Crohn's being linked to severe deficiencies in vitamin D. Not sure why that is.

Also wheat sensitivity is associated with burning through vitamin D storage at quicker rates, leading to a deficiency.

"Oral Steroids Linked to Severe Vitamin D Deficiency in Nationwide US Study"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110929144639.htm

Saw another write up on vitamin D and co factors mentioned in the news, this time on improved sleep.

"3 nutrients linked with a better night's sleep"

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/...ked-with-better-night-sleep/?intcmp=obnetwork

As a newbie to Crohn's (recently diagnosed) but an expert in Melanoma (originally a small nodular with no spread to lymph nodes; three years later, ReCuRRent subcutaneous melanoma), let me strongly suggest this... Take the Vit.D and stay out of the sun. If you are fair skinned and light eyes, the sun will kill you. My Crohn's was ironically discovered while I was having a CT to identify spreading melanoma!! Thankfully my Crohn's is treatable; the melanoma, not so much. :(. If you can avoid melanoma, I suggest you take steps to do so.

Spooky1

Mlg, if all else fails there might be encouragement from those who swear by alternative therapies on youtube or google. I'm so sad for you. Keep up the good fight, and we'll keep taking that D3. Best wishes.

Thanks all for prayers and advice on vit D. My oncologist suggests 1000 iu per day is suffice. I had a complete skin checkup Monday and still no evidence of melanoma since July 2013. Dr said my prognosis is still poor, but I feel fine. My crohns symptoms always get worse close to appointments at the cancer clinic. Think my crohns doesn't like me 'getting naked' !? Lol. Prayers are always welcome.

Thanks all for prayers and advice on vit D. My oncologist suggests 1000 iu per day is suffice. I had a complete skin checkup Monday and still no evidence of melanoma since July 2013. Dr said my prognosis is still poor, but I feel fine. My crohns symptoms always get worse close to appointments at the cancer clinic. Think my crohns doesn't like me 'getting naked' !? Lol. Prayers are always welcome.

Therapeutic effect of vitamin d supplementation in a pilot study of Crohn's patients.
Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2013 Apr 18.

Author information
Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Science, Center for Molecular Immunology and Infectious Disease, University Park, Pennsylvania, USA.

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:
Low vitamin D status may be associated with Crohn's disease. A pilot study was performed in patients with mild-to-moderate Crohn's disease to determine the dose of vitamin D needed to raise serum vitamin D levels above 40 ng/ml.

METHODS:
Patients were evaluated for severity of symptoms using the Crohn's disease activity index (CDAI) and patients with mild-to-moderate (150-400 CDAI scores) Crohn's disease were entered into the study (n=18). Vitamin D3 oral therapy was initiated at 1,000 IU/d and after 2 weeks, the dose was escalated incrementally until patients' serum concentrations reached 40 ng/ml 25(OH)D3 or they were taking 5,000 IU/d. Patients continued on the vitamin D supplements for 24 weeks. CDAI, quality of life measures, bone mineral density, dietary analyses, cytokines, parathyroid hormone, calcium, and several other laboratory measurements were evaluated at baseline and after 24 weeks supplementation.

RESULTS:
Fourteen of eighteen patients required the maximal vitamin D supplement of 5,000 IU/d. Vitamin D oral supplementation significantly increased serum 25(OH)D3 levels from 16±10 ng/ml to 45±19 ng/ml (P<0.0001) and reduced the unadjusted mean CDAI scores by 112±81 points from 230±74 to 118±66 (P<0.0001). Quality-of-life scores also improved following vitamin D supplementation (P=0.0004). No significant changes in cytokine or other laboratory measures were observed.

CONCLUSIONS:
Twenty-four weeks supplementation with up to 5,000 IU/d vitamin D3 effectively raised serum 25(OH)D3 and reduced CDAI scores in a small cohort of Crohn's patients suggesting that restoration of normal vitamin D serum levels may be useful in the management of patients with mild-moderate Crohn's disease.

Hi David. Great to see you. Have things been going well for you?

We have a real Vitamin D problem here in Australia because our "slip, slop, slap" program has been so successful. It's now very difficult to persuade some people to go out in the sun for small amounts of time with bare skin and no sunscreen!

Spooky1

I had hideous issues using magnesium citrate and the extra (and painful) diarrhoea. So have cut it out and have bought magnesium flakes to use transdermally. If anyone has any advice on how much to slap on my skin each day I would be grateful as I actually felt better when taking the magnesium but could not cope with the additional loo visits and pain.

The d3 with k2 is doing me good. I think the arthritis in my neck has improved somewhat, also in my spine. Believe me it's a relief although I still pop voltarol rub on the joints etc.

Wild bill 5280, thanks so much for this article. I will be running this past the Crohn's Doctor next appointment. Sound promising. And maybe, in the meantime, I'll throw caution to the wind and double the oncologist' recommended dose!

David

Co-Founder
I had hideous issues using magnesium citrate and the extra (and painful) diarrhoea. So have cut it out and have bought magnesium flakes to use transdermally. If anyone has any advice on how much to slap on my skin each day I would be grateful as I actually felt better when taking the magnesium but could not cope with the additional loo visits and pain.
Was it pure citrate or one of those that says citrate in big letters on the front and then is more oxide than citrate if you read the back?

And how much did you take and was it all at once or split dosages?

Spooky1

It says magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 400mg. I had been taking two a day, but had to knock them on the head as even trying to cut a tablet up (they're like little concrete bricks, lol) was still giving me problems. There is nowhere to be seen the word oxide though.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Not related specifically to IBD and it is targeting older Australians but they are calling for volunteers now for a project that will assess the benefits of Vit D:

The potential general health benefits of vitamin D supplements will at last be clear to Australians but it is going to take five years to find out.

The answer will come from a study of 25,000 people aged 60 to 79, one of the largest projects of its kind in the world.

That vitamin D is important for bone health is accepted, but it is not known what level is needed, says study leader Associate Professor Rachel Neale of the QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Centre.

"People receive conflicting advice about how much sun exposure they need," she says.
"Australia is the skin cancer capital of the world. It may be that a vitamin D supplement is enough."
Prof Neale says the jury is still out on whether vitamin D helps prevent cancer, heart disease and other illnesses.

"There has been enormous hype.

"We know a moderate level of vitamin D is important for our bone health. What we don't know is how much people need and whether supplementing people improves conditions like cancer.
"We hope this study, linking with Medicare records and cancer registries, will provide some definitive answers and advice.

Prof Neale says Australia spends $150 million a year on vitamin D testing, despite the fact that testing is unreliable and "we don't even know what blood level to aim for".

The present recommendation is that people will achieve enough vitamin D with moderate sun exposure, but people who receive no sun exposure should supplement their vitamin D intake with about 400 international units a day, she says.

The outcome of the study could improve the case for mandatory fortification of foods such as bread, Prof Neale says.
Royal College of Pathologists spokesperson Dr Paul Glendenning said the study would help answer important questions.
"It will help determine if there is a case for routine supplementation and routine monitoring of vitamin D.
"We understand that vitamin D has an action in many different parts of the body. This study will help answer whether the amount of vitamin D circulating in the blood is important to those diverse functions.

* Volunteers for the D-Health study should phone 1300 735 920 or email dhealth@qimrberghofer.edu.au.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/2014/01/16/00/32/scientist-tries-to-settle-vitamin-d-hype
I was thinking I must just email them anyway and give them my views about Vit D and IBD. :eek2: Better still, I might just link them to this thread. :ybiggrin:

Dusty. :)

You may also consider this paper (search the title for full-text):

A randomized controlled trial on the effect of vitamin D3 on inflammation and cathelicidin gene expression in ulcerative colitis patients

Background: Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is an intestinal chronic inflammatory condition and includes Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). It has been proposed that Vitamin D supplementation may have a beneficial role in IBD. Aim: To characterize the effects of Vitamin D on cathelicidin (hCAP/LL37) gene expression, ESR, and serum hs-CRP levels. Materials and Methods: Ninety UC patients on remission were randomized to receive 300,000 IU intramuscular Vitamin D or 1 mL normal saline as placebo, respectively. Before and 90 days after intervention, serum levels of 25 (OH)-Vitamin D3, PTH, Calcium, ESR, and hs-CRP were measured. Cathelicidin gene expression was also quantified using qRT-PCR. Results: Baseline serum 25-OH-Vitamin D3 levels were not different between the two groups and after intervention, increased only in Vitamin D group (P < 0.001). Hs-CRP levels were lower in Vitamin D group after intervention (Before: 3.43 ± 3.47 vs 3.86 ± 3.55 mg/L, P = 0.56; after: 2.31 ± 2.25 vs 3.90 ± 3.97 mg/L, P= 0.023). ESR decreased significantly in Vitamin D group (Before: 12.4 ± 6.1 vs 12.1 ± 5.3 mm/h, P= 0.77; after: 6.7 ± 4.5 vs 11.4 ± 5.5 mm/h, P< 0.001). The mean fold change in hCAP18 gene expression in Vitamin D group was significantly higher than placebo group. (Mean ± SD: 3.13 ± 2.56 vs 1.09 ± 0.56; median ± interquartile range: 2.17 ± 3.81 vs 0.87 ± 0.53, P<,; 0.001).
Conclusion: Decreases in ESR and hs-CRP levels and increase in LL37 gene expression support the hypothesis that Vitamin D supplementation may have a beneficial role in UC patients.