• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's your theory on how you got Crohn's Disease?

It's always like that it seems.

Stress, bad things happening in life. Fighting with your love one. Sounds all to familiar.

You'll have to reset everything and start again without the stress.

Good luck

I believe stress is definately a trigger for flares, but not the cause of, Crohn's. Wonder how many of us had things like strep throat?

I'm going to say I blame it on me living 2 minutes away from TMI (Three Mile Island). The nuclear power plant. Haha, I actually don't believe that but I do live 2min away.

I really can't think of much that I do thats out of the ordinary. Maybe biting my nails my whole life?

I've bit my nails my whole life as well. I think we've just found the cause! :D

only other thing I can think of is stress. which I had quite a bit of around the time I was diagnosed.

that or eating badly? my diet hasn't been brilliant over the years, although not terrible. and they have said that diets high in fat could be a contributing factor (perhaps explains why crohn's is mainly prevalent in developed countries and why it's incidence has increased over the years as people's diets have become poorer?)

I wonder if it was caused by having my teeth bleached. I did wonder at the time about the risk of ingesting bleach! I heard later about the detrimental affect it had on rats.

For me, genetics and the fact that I stopped smoking. After all meds failed, I had the choice of either taking up smoking again or having my colon yanked. I'd rather have working lungs than a colon, so I made my choice.

I had a lot of headaches as a teen, and loved to take Ibuprofen, it always helped. I smoked for a while in my late teens/early twenties, and have always been a worrier. My first bout came after a few nights sitting up all night with my grandpa just before he died. He was anxious, seeing angels, and trying to climb out of the bed. I got very little sleep and was very stressed out. After that, working 12 hour nights as a new nurse brought on attacks about once a month. For years they called it IBS and never did any tests.

I agree with star, that there isnt an xyz reason. I thought chlorine at one stage, so I drink only filtered water. I thought bacterial overgrowth, so I did a candida diet, no meds, and ended up in hospital. The vaccine theory I seriously doubt, because I did have chicken pocks and that when I was little, and so many more people would have crohns if that was the reason.
I can understand how stress can aggravate an existing illness (prevents healing), but can someone please explain how it's supposed to cause crohns? I doubt that personally too, because I wasn't stressed day to day before crohns. Fats...I don't know, I wonder about diet, but so many fit people have crohns, that eat low fat. Genetics...we can have more chance of developing crohns if someone in our family has it, but does that make it a cause? What about the first person to ever get crohns.
Like I said, there isn't an xyz reason in my opinion. After all, why do little children suffer with cancer. :/

KWalker

I think I got crohns because I'm a good person, I never really got into trouble with the law, I always did well in school and now I'm in university as well. I've always had good goals and ambitions to do something with my life. Bad things happen to good people. The kids I went to school with that were always doing drugs, getting in trouble and didn't seem to care about everything were never sick.

My IBD developed shortly after moving from sunny, warm Florida to the cold half the year mid-west. It was about one to two years after arriving in Illinois that symptoms made an appearance. After learning about the sunshine vitamin, D3, and it helpfulness with dealing with crohns and colitis, I've thought that possibly a lack of vitamin D3 might have played a part in the development of my condition.

I blame the dolphins.:mad:
My sister and I went on a "swim with the dolphins" excursion in Mexico and the dolphin enclosure was filthy. I came home with a fistula.
Actually I don't really blame the dolphins but the story keeps me from having to go back to Mexico to vacation.
My intestinal problems really started in 1993 when I got cryptosporidium during the Milwaukee outbreak. Always had mild issues after that.

I acutally have always believed that genetic predispostions aside the main factor is water.

I was born in Madison, Wisconsin, lived there for my formulative years, moved a little north and went back down for college. Immediately on moving back down I had blood in my stool.

The interesting thing? Madison, Wisconsin had the third highest concentration of hexavelant chromium (the Erin Brokovich chemical) in the U.S. in a study done in the last year or so. The number was exponentially higher than the safe legal limit (I don't have the study on hand and am at work!!! But look it up). The concentration was higher even than the city where the Erin Brokovich debacle happened. And a lot of people in that case settlement with their terrible illnesses...? GI issues were among the largest. There was even a study on hexavalent chromium in rats leading to IBD or GI issues. I don't have the means to pursue this, but am of the belief that when someone takes some time to look into it, we will realize the real trigger was something in the water.

Oh also? Stress triggers flares....but it doesn't trigger the disease. I second whoever it was that said that. Stress can exacerbate any physical issue but the only ones it really actually CAUSES are mental issues.

I already had a genetic predisposition because my mother has Crohn's and autoimmune diseases run in the family. I also think my other trigger was when I waited too long to tell the doctors I was in pain & I became septic & had my gallbladder removed. Whether that in it's self triggered it along with heavy doses of antibiotics afterwards, I don't know, but I think that set the fire to the match.

I have a genetic predisposition, I have a grandparent on either side both with UC. As a kid I remember having miserable bathroom episodes, and definitely symptoms of crohns, being underweight, bathroom issues. Fast forward to the age of 15 and traumatic brain injury, and things worsen, yet go unnoticed since everyone was worried about my noggin. Stress, years of pain meds, seizure meds, and thinking back to how many ct scans/ mri's I can only imagine. Through out college, I may have drank a wee bit too much and was diagnosed with gastritis/IBS. It wasn't until I went through a nasty breakup and the stress of having a really bad concussion that my symptoms went out of hand. I was always weirdly thin, but it got to the point where my diarrhea was so bad, along with vomiting that I lost 40 pounds in two months. Suddenly doctors were like ohhhh. At first they thought it may have been some unrecognized internal damage from the accident where I had my TBI, but after 4 colonoscopies, a year of trial and error, we are 100 percent certain it's Crohns.

Having a genetic predisposition, crazy amounts of stress, and years of taking hardcore meds I think have led me to my crohns.

My Father died of colon cancer, His mother had cancer,
My Mom's mother had collitus and Grandpa had prostate cancer.

I got my dx in 91 shotly after being discharged from the army.

Although I had the genetic predisposition, It just came on with the life change I spose.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
My grandmother has a form of crohn's/colitis. I've more than likely had this all my life, but was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis at 18 and then the diagnosis was changed last year in 2011 when I was 32.

This is going to be sad, but even when I was little I had major issues. When I was eight, a doctor told me I had a partially paralyzed bowel because when I was little I never felt I had to go and I'd end up going in my pants. From that time on, I had NO PROBLEMS. But after I go c-diff, 3 years later I was diagnosed with Crohns. I can't help but wonder if c-diff actually caused the Crohns.

My son's gi wont let me give my daughter any NSAIDS, and says she should only use anti biotics if I it is absolutely necessary. He thinks nsaids mess with the bodies inflammatory response, and are hard on the gut. The antibiotics kill good bacteria, and he thinks that is a bigger crohns risk.

I also asked why it seems they DON'T HAVE CROHNS in certain areas. His response was the bacteria they carry is very different to what we have inside us (say in india or africa). Also they do not try to ANTI bacterial everything ..........so WHAT? I guess the point was if you have the bacteria inside your body does not rage war against it?

I still run crp & sed rates on my daughter. Makes me breathe easier.
we all deserve that. One on Remicade is my limit!

I began experiencing acid reflux as a child, started taking antiacids (rolaids and tums) at about 8yo. I believe the reflux (+anxiety and depression) are directly related to the severe sleep apnea I am blessed with (in spite of not being obese in any way). I was also very sickly as a child and constantly on antibiotics.

i adventually progressed to acid inhibitors.

Dr told me acid inhibtors and antacids mess up the stomach flora and cause autoimmune overresponse - hence chron's.

wow, I am still in the midst of getting diagnosed. I am having issues all throughout my digestive tract. Interestingly, I have been on low dose antibiotics for years to prevent these nast urinary infections i was getting. I have interstitial cystitis as well and that is what makes me so prone to the infections. I am havig awful issues right now, lower intestines, as well as entire upper gut issues( severe bloating, burning pain, nausea, belching and pain). I also get the crampy sore feelings in my intetsines as well. I wonder if it is the antibitoic low dose keflex I have been on. I am going Thursday and am going to ask to get a upper scope to see what is going on. Can they take biopsies from the gut and upper intestine to check for crohns???

I also have H-pylori bacteria in my gut. I found this out from a natural doctor who did this comperhensive stool test. I will not take the buttload of antibitoics they use to "supposedly" kill this bacteria. I am allergic most all anti-b's anhow and also the success rate of irradicating h-pylori is next to nill.

I think any disease is caused by a malfunctioning immune system. Everyone is different, some people have a stronger system than others I guess. Genetics definitely play a role. One thing is for sure though, there has been an increase in different diseases in the last few years. More and more kids are having life threatening allergies to different foods( peanuts etc..). It was never like this before. Also more and more people are getting these orphan diseases like crohns and interstitial cystitis. It may be due to prescription meds like antibitoics and other meds. Back in the day they did not have these diseases and if they did , it was rare. They also did not have medications back then either. I think bacteria have become evolved to the point where we do not have any meds to really control them due to the resistance of the bacteria. medications are like the blessing and the curse. They are all poison to our bodies, and eventually our bodies are going to react in one way or another to any type of medication. It really sucks. I have been chronically ill for the last nine years with alot of issues. It all started after I got a flu shot. Then it was all down hill from there:(

See I would have to disagree, something such as IBD was not recognised until 1932. Just 80 years in the history of the planet is a drop in the ocean. It was also mentioned as far back as the 17th/18th century source

When a person lives in a world with poor sanitation, no food hygeine etc it may well be that some had a form of IBD, but their problems were seen as normal for the time they lived in.

You have to wonder with modern testing, just how many cases there would have been confirmed in the past. I don't think you can fairly call it rare before now, too much room for doubt in my view.

It certainly seems since IBD was recognised cases have increased, but I would argue there are variables in that ie improved testing, how many have been fobbed off with IBS for a decade when it was IBD all along?

I have to say, I'm surprised at the responses on here. Not that I don't believe them but just not what I was expecting.

Anyway, my 2cents.

I wonder if it is connected to the conveniently rhyming sounding Johne's disease that can be found in dairy cattle, which in essense is their version of Crohn's disease. Since white blood cells from the cattle are found in every drop of milk you drink, we ingest those white blood cells, and then we get infected. This may also explain why Crohn's is less predominant in Asia and Africa where cow's milk has traditinionally not been an important part of the diet. And has also made me wonder if this is why it's so predominent in Ashkenazi Jews as dairy is only a recent part of their diet compared to the rest of the world, so their digestive tract is not as familiar with the milk of a cow (it's certainly why they're lactose intolerant anyway).

My mother has Crohn's too which has also made me wonder whether it can be passed through a human mother's breastmilk as well.

I hope it's a bacterium of some sort anyway. That would make it eventually cureable :)

IBUPROFEN! I was diagnosed at 32. I took a spill on my mountain bike trying to get used to my new clip in pedals and my GP advised me to take 4 ibuprofen in the morning and 4 at night and ASSURED me that it was perfectly fine. A couple months of this and I end up in the hospital where I was diagnosed. Fast foward 2 years, I'm in remission throughout my pregnancy, I opt for a drug free childbirth but do take Ibuprofen after the delivery and I flare again. I didn't even THINK about my original diagnosis being related to the Ibuprofen until my GI said she thought my relapse was probably brought on my the Ibuprofen.

I was pregnant when I first started having symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, so I have no idea what caused it initially, but my brother has been diagnosed with UC, and bowel issues run in the family (my grandfather had bowel cancer). My mother also had diverticulitis.

I haven't been officially diagnosed yet but the dr suspects an IBD. When I was younger I never touched a drop of water and ate alot of junk as a teenager. My brother was diagnosed at the age I am now so maybe genetics play a factor too.

my theory, well it's not mine but it's the one i subscribe to

intestinal permeability,
-stress, sugar, grain, vegetable oils, legumes (inc. peanuts), nightshades, NSAIDs (like aspirin, ibuprofen, and nabumetone), antibiotics and ALL processed foods (apparently)

"Specifically, intestinal Tight Junctionss may exert a pathogenetic [Capable of causing disease] role in intestinal (inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease) and extraintestinal diseases (diabetes type 1, food allergies, autoimmune diseases)."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3241743/

"There is growing evidence that increased intestinal permeability plays a pathogenic role in various autoimmune diseases including CD and T1D. Therefore, we hypothesize that besides genetic and environmental factors, loss of intestinal barrier function is necessary to develop autoimmunity. In this review, each of these components will be briefly reviewed."
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.04037.x/abstract

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but with more and more evidence appearing that it has something to do with gut bacteria, as well as the fact that IBD is more prevalent in developing countries, I believe it has to do with both our diet and our antibiotic use.

My symptoms appeared after a thorough run of antibiotics for a lung infection. However, because of where research is pointing, and the demographic of IBD, I'm thinking diet also has a big thing to do with it. Maybe the quantity of refined sugars we intake? Personally, anything sugary kills me. And a lot of people feel better on antibiotics.

I'm not a doctor, but I'd be willing to bet my left butt cheek that it's something along those lines.

i belive i got crohns due to stress,axexiety worry along with smoking ciggerettes 20 a day habit, i was going through a bad patch 6months before i noticed any symptoms but before all this happend i was perectly healthy never got ill

i belive i got crohns due to stress,axexiety worry along with smoking ciggerettes 20 a day habit, i was going through a bad patch 6months before i noticed any symptoms but before all this happend i was perectly healthy never got ill
I'd also like to mention this. I'm a very anxious person.

Last summer, I found an ant in my room. I couldn't sleep for a week.

When I'm anxious, my crohn's goes insane. I'm not sure if that's relative to CAUSING crohn's, or just worsening it. Our bowels are designed to evacuate when we're in danger, so I'm assuming that's why stress kills us so.

SarahBear

It's really interesting how many people have said both stress and ibuprofen.

I can't pinpoint anything specific, mainly because I'm not completely sure how long I've had Crohn's. I started having frequent stomach pains when I was around eight, but they didn't get severe until I was fifteen or sixteen (I was diagnosed a month before I turned seventeen).

I took a lot of ibuprofen as a child. I frequently got bad headaches, from probably age six to age twelve, so I took a lot of Motrin, Tylenol, etc. That could be related.

Around age thirteen, my living situation became extremely stressful. That continued until age eighteen, when I moved out of my mom's house. I assume the stomach pains when I was younger were Crohn's, and the stress later on made it worse. However, I can't say this for certain. So it might be that the stress helped to cause it, or that it just brought out the symptoms.

As far as family history, my grandfather had colon cancer, my mom has IBS (or says she does - which doesn't mean she actually does, sorry to say), and a distant relative had Crohn's. Other than that, I don't know of any other gastrointestinal problems in my family.

Very interesting post! For me, I always blame everything on the GMO's, but, no one else in my family has it, however, my dad does have a sensitive stomach. My son (4) is severely allergic to most foods. If you look into food allergies, it is also an overactive immune system, so I'm wondering if his condition and my CD are related somehow. I also have always had a lot of stress in my life, growing up as a pastor's kid, I had a lot of people watching me and it was like I was living under a microscope. With my son born, just keeping him safe from food was a hugely stressful ordeal. One drop of milk could kill him within minutes. It's that bad. He's not only allergic to milk, but nuts, seafood, eggs and wheat as well. So The last few years for me has been tons of stress.

Is it possible that ibuprofen, because of it's ulcering capabilities, acts similar to stress, and brings up already dormant CD? Or worsens non-symptomatic IBD?

So like, you already have the genetic predisposition, (the genes associated with gut bacteriumps), yet no issue is brought out until your gut is destroyed by anxiety or ibuprofen?

wow, lots of action on this thread,

this guy has a theory, and a study to back it up,
not just crohn's, but autoimmune in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn-jmCi4zI&feature

i agree with him,
When you loose intestinal integrity then feces (undigested food) will get into the body (as opposed to outside the body in the intestines).
The immune system will kick in to do it's job but ends up attacking the wrong things

the genetic part is what autoimmune disease you get,
All the things that people are suggesting (antibiotics, NSAID, bad water, stress, etc) are just the things that tipped you over.

I was talking to a workmate and he said he'd rather die than give up sugar, i smiled and said 'fine by me'

I think , ithappened to me because of crash dieting....I was a thin as a kid..but later on put on a lot of fat when I stopped the games and joined work...but that annoyed me a lot..so ater leaving the job, I skipped my meals and did a lot of exercise including abs exercise almost zero fat intake...and yes, also I ate irregularly..the routine was really bad. I think that triggered this problem of mine. So I really get scared when someone says..i am on a diet or tryiong to lose fat or someone skips his meals.

My wife got crohns after being on low dose antibiotics for three years for acne. We believe the antibiotics killed off all the good bacteria in her gut and allowed the yeast and drug resistant bacteria to over populate and cause crohns

With mine I was diagnosed at 23 almost a year after I had my daughter. I have meet about 5 woman in my area that were diagnosed and their stories are a lot like mine and I don't think this theory apply to everyone. But the woman I have spoken to all were diagnosed with it after the birth of their first child and all 5 of have different servilities of Crohns but I think our bodies got off balance while pregnant and for some reason never bounced back.

I have had bowel issues most of my life. The big D mostly, fevers, and cramps. Everyone thought that I had a sensitive stomach and would catch tummy viruses often 4-5 times a year. They would last longer than most people but, we thought it was "normal" for me since everyone is different and I am the youngest of 4 kids. I was raised by a single Mom and my parents divorced before I was 3 yrs old. I was raised eating food we grew. From cattle, pigs, and chickens to veggies and fruit, and WELL Water. We didn't even eat out at restaurants but maybe 3-4 times a YEAR. So I'm not completely convinced that diet really has much to do with it. It may for some people be a factor, but I believe for me it has no relevance. Since even during flares it has never made a difference. I was a picky eater as child, just didn't like much of anything unless it was sweet, and I was always the last one at the table as I liked to play with my food ;P

I didn't go to the doctor much as a child, and was never on antibiotics until I was a teenager with acne. Was on Tetracycline for a year and a special diet(no beef, dairy or fried foods), and was finally able to gain some weight.

As for other things Perservatives may in fact be a TRIGGER for some, but not for others.

Gene-pool, well everyone on my fathers' side of the family have one issue or another with their bowels from IBS to Cancer(father), but none that I know of have been diagnosed with Crohn's or Colitis.

My Mom was diagnosed with Diverticulitis at the age of 64, she is 70 now and just had a resection, temporary ostomy and reversal this last year.

Had stress most of my life just like anyone else, and stress seems to make me flare, but I agree with others who have stated that stress isn't a cause it's a TRIGGER.

Had 2 pregnancies was fine with the first child, and flared with second. In fact after the second I kept flaring for almost 2 yrs until my diagnosis at 23(1993).

So for me I believe it's a culmination of factors: Heredity, Stress and Environmental

I love the way so many people are saying that other members of their family had bowel problems so it must be hereditary,
Did they all eat different foods to you, so you know it's not diet?

I know there is a genetic (hereditary) component, but without the diet/stress/antibiotic/whatever-induced lack of proper intestinal tight junction function it won't manifest.

In a way it's like this.....
In australia we have pretty bad bush fires (eucalyptus tree leaves are full of highly flammable oils).
To have a bush fire you need fuel, oxygen and a spark.
Can't do anything about the first two so we're real careful about the third.

With Immune disease intestinal permeability is the spark, bringing your genetic potential in contact with triggers in the intestine.

That's my theory, anyway :)

Pineapple, i'm darn sure of it. After eating a packet of pineapple that tasted a bit weird i got a stomach ache and it never went away until i was diagnosed with crohns and started taking medication

I know mine DEFINITELY coincides with stress.

Noticed my first fissure aged eight, around the same time I was going through loads of family stuff, Dad depressed, parents mightve been divorced etc. I was depressed, had OCD, all of it really affected me and still does in some ways.

Fissures all my life but problem got seriously out of control when the love of my life moved back home to Ireland. Never been so upset of distraught about anything.

Now it's under control but I notice pain and bleeding more when I'm anxious/stressed.

Are there any books on Crohns and Stress or Crohns and Mental Health?

Stress for me as well.

When I was a kid I was beaten by my father, and since then I've always been very stressed person. Little things will stress me out all the time. In my family nobody has any problenms with their bowled whatsoever I'm the only one.

My daughter who is 9 does not show any signs of it either.

I love the way so many people are saying that other members of their family had bowel problems so it must be hereditary,
Did they all eat different foods to you, so you know it's not diet?

I know there is a genetic (hereditary) component, but without the diet/stress/antibiotic/whatever-induced lack of proper intestinal tight junction function it won't manifest.
The short answer, Hugh, is yes. My sister was diagnosed many years ago. Simply because we are family does not mean we were living together or eating the same foods at the time. In fact, our diets were (still are) completely different.

You may be right about the rest, I cannot say... although I am unsure what "proper intestinal tight junction function" is, exactly.

When you loose intestinal integrity then feces (undigested food) will get into the body (as opposed to outside the body in the intestines).
The immune system will kick in to do it's job but ends up attacking the wrong things
I guess you are referring to this? How did we lose intestinal integrity in the first place? Maybe it was because of NSAID's (or diet/stress/antibiotic/whatever), OR MAYBE it was because our body started attacking itself? How can you be sure? Seems to me to be kind of like, "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

You don't know that it's not diet...food/diet has not been ruled out by researchers...and generally speaking, you don't have to live together to eat the same foods, lots of people eat the same foods that don't even know eachother. It could even simply be the type of bacteria on the foods we eat, rather than the foods themselves.

Researchers have found many clusters of genes that are linked specifically to IBD, ones that are specific to CD and ones to UC...but the key component is the immune system itself...it just happens to affect the GI tract is all.

Smoking, according to researchers (Dr. Kevin Rioux researches IBD at the University of Alberta Canada) is one KNOWN trigger for CD, including second-hand smoke..that doesn't necessarily mean it will be every CDers trigger and it's likely a combination of environmental triggers that sets the disease in motion.

Dr. Kathy Siminovitch (also from Canada) has found a gene located on chromosome 5 that noramally produces a protein that sits on the cell surface and controls movement of specific substances in and out of the cell. When altered (scratched), the gene produces a protien that functions improperly allowing toxins increased entry into the cell. This gene alteration is primarily observed in Crohn's disease.

Researchers are also well aware that bacteria plays a huge role as a trigger for IBD, hormones as well, which is why many women don't have issues until after/during their first pregnancy...emotional stress is also not ruled out as a trigger for IBD because it wreaks havoc on your immune system. And also the reason why many of us women have such issues during our menstral cycles (even just before/during and just after them).

One persons trigger(s) are not necessarily going to be identical to anothers and that's what makes this disease so individual, the reason why no 2 IBDers are identical.

They still have to try and figure out how IBD is passed as of now it appears very random, from grandparent to grandchild, mom/father to child, auntie/uncle to neice/nephew...they are really struggling with how it gets passed down and this makes it harder for them to figure the disease out.

That's why when people say they are the only one in their family with an IBD so it can't be hereditary for them, I find it hard to believe since it can also skip many generations, and no one can possibly know what kind of bowel habits all of their ancestors had. IBD has been around for centuries...it was only about a hundred yrs ago that names were put to it.

There's 2 parts to getting an IBD, being predisposed to it and having it triggered. Oddly enough, IBD is becoming more and more common and that's scary.

I thought about this countless times, I have a aunt and my mother who suffer from crohns. So it's seems obvious where I got crohns from. The infamous DNA strand that they talk about (hereditary).

I am a perfect fit for a crohns patient, I am a 100% Ashkenazi Jew,with a parent who suffers from crohns for 40+ years. I also spent 5 months in Israel as a citizen of the State of Israel. But due to financial constraints I had to come back to the good ole USA. Within a months time i started loosing 64 pounds. Yes I went from 196 to 131 pounds, in roughly 40 days or so. A few months later and some rigamoral I was diagnosed with mild crohns. Rest is ancient history.

Other than the fact I am beyond playing the crohns Game, and would like to try something else. :) just joking.

You don't know that it's not diet...food/diet has not been ruled out by researchers...and generally speaking, you don't have to live together to eat the same foods, lots of people eat the same foods that don't even know eachother. It could even simply be the type of bacteria on the foods we eat, rather than the foods themselves.
Hey pb,

It is my understanding that Hugh was implying that those who also have family members with Crohn's are ignoring the 'fact' (in his mind) that the manifestation of the disease is more likely due to diet than to hereditary reasons. Genetic predisposition has been proven. Siblings with Crohn's are something like 30x more likely to have it. Diet, as you say, has not been 'proven,' or 'ruled out.'

His question was specific, "Did they all eat different foods to you, so you know it's not diet?" I think you misunderstood my position in that I was answering based on the anecdotal evidence of myself and my sister only. My answer is "yes, I am sure it was not a similarity in our diets that caused us both to have Crohn's." I also never claimed anything about 'hav[ing] to live together to eat the same foods,' or anything like that, so I am not sure what you're referring to? If fact, I said something more like the inverse, that even if you live together it does not mean that you have the same diet.

Scaryman said:
Other than the fact I am beyond playing the crohns Game, and would like to try something else
:ylol2: no kidding! :)

Ray

Stress! when i was diagnosed my husband and I were in the middle of having a house built..he had to work overseas so i was left alone with an incompetent contractor, a full time job and enough stress to sink a ship. On top of that my husband and I were having a difficult time in our marriage, and things were just a hot mess. I ended up in the hospital with severe crohns, and that started six years of hell. Stress, stress, stress....I agree with that....but also in tandem with other factors, such as family history, (my uncle had crohns and died of liver cancer), along with environment and who knows? But I do agree with stress.

maria

I love you God.
I think mine is stress related. EVERY time I got stressed out I would have to use the bathroom and would get cramps in my rectum. Also another is eating top ramen because when you eat it it soaks up all the good acids your body needs and I ate a lot!. When I got my first real symptoms was I drank a bottle of laxatives in a green bottle at the store and I drank the whole thing, I would say a week later I started bleeding and never stopped this was 5 yrs ago.. Finally stopped bleeding after they took my colon and rectum 2 months ago :thumleft:.

I was always a sickly child and was constantly on antibiotics. I would say I was definitely genetically susceptible, even though I can find no history of autoimmune disease in my family. Lots of cancer, though. Anyway... I always had tummy aches as a child, everyone (myself included) just thought I was a whiner. Started showing signs of arthritis around 10 years of age. Our house was always stocked full of junk food and sodas, though my mom did cook mostly healthy meals. I believe the main trigger that made everything go haywire was a Hepatitis B Vaccination, required for participation in a Nursing program my junior year of high school. Fast forward about 6-8 months, coupled with stress from a break up and Senior year... I lost over 20 pounds in less than a month, was hospitalized for weeks at a time, and diagnosed with Crohn's in Oct. 2004.
I guess smoking probably didn't help either, but I started that nasty habit long before things went bonkers.

It will be interesting to see, after the Stem Cell Transplant, if all my major lifestyle changes (no smoking, no vaccines, no antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, all organic) will be successful at keeping the Crohn's from rearing it's ugly head again. Only time will tell...

Hi everyone
I am writing this in sheer desperation, as I am at my wits end not knowing what to do or how to help my 21 year old daughter, I will start out from today and go back in time, my daughter just returnedd from a weekend ski with her friends, I think they ate cheese, eggs, salads, meats while there, everything was home cooked,. Today 15/8/12 my daughter mentioned that she was having stomach pains and that her stools were green but normal, she has started taking vitamin D 100IU as she is low, she usually takes it before going to bed even though they say to take it after dinner, but did not take it while on her holiday instead I gave her Centrum Advance _ organge coloured, multivitamin, so I cant see why her stools have turned green, she eats mixed salads with a mayonase dressing quite a bit, and has had it before too, but that has never given her green stools, however when she said that she felt like going to the toilet when she had the pain, but instead sent out some gas and said that the pain went, it looks like it comes and goes and it is almost 5 days for today in having green stools and I dont know what the cause is she is refusing to go and discuss about her stools with the docotr so I am looking for any advise.
It all began on May 14th 2012

Well she used to get stich like pains on left side of stomach since 2010 did a abdominal ultrasound in Sept 2010, everything was reported as normal. She has had yearly normal blood test since 2008, she was stated as anemic and I thought it was low in iron but the docotr said that her iron is on normal to barder line 7-8 australian standard but hera
29th May ’12, had severe bloated feeling, cramps/pain above naval and bottom of chest (in between stomach and bottom of chest), she had the same episode on 14th May ’12 but was with friends she also had her periods but said that that was not the same pain she get when she has her monthlies which is on the lower abdoment, it was the bloated, crampy, gassy feeling,pain her friends found her coiled in the ladies room and gave her panadol rapid after four hours the pain left, only to come back the next day but she did not mention it to me until the 29th of July where she was asked by another doctor to go to emergency,after 4 hours waiting to see a doctor, said IBS and sent home no treatment, or blood test done until I went to my GP the next day as the pains were still there, she gave her a boscopan injection and 2 gavascons and the pain, cramp and bloating were relieved, she wanted her to get another CT scan, she had barium oral contrast she needed to drink the liquid a certain amount in one hour and another amount in the next hour, instead she took 45 mts to drink the first lot and another 45 for the next lot, this time they said there were patchy calcification in liver everything else seemed normal/clear and normal like bowels, pelvis, bladder, uterus , rectum normal , kidneys, pancreas, adrenals lungs spleen kidneys and no free fluid was see,no lymphadenopathy seen. Did another MRI ( post contrast) for further evaluation MRI on 19/6/12,mentioned that calcifications are better seen on SCans than MRI and everything conlusion ws normal study. (Note she had to do MRI 8 hrs fasting, but as we went about half hour late they asked her to eat something and 3 hours later was the MRI, could her eating have hindered MRI .

She lost weight since she had her braces, more than 10kls since her braces as she had difficulty eating properly, but now she is ok, and have meals but not at the correct time, skips breakfast most days but will have lunch and dinner, and noticed yellow tinge on skin but when asked family they said no, they did a full blood test on her but did not test for magnesium is there any other blood tesst that you can recommend,her vitamin D is 29nmol/L low she was taking Loraclear with 10 mg Loratadine since dec 2010 on and off for relief of hayfever, but reading the box now says that if you have liver problems to avoid taking it,she also take a naprogelsoc for period pain and ibuforen 1 with 1 panadol for headaches.
I Have provided results for bloods test (Australian standards) below that was taken on 1/6/12 Note Docotor said slighly anemic, never explained it, I thpought it was it was iron deficinecy, but this GP said iron is in normal range to boarderline but still slighly anemic,even though iron level is at 7or 8, because her or ferratin is low, but her and thats why the docotor said she is anemic due to her *MCH 26.7pg, *MCHC-21.1g/dl, (.3-.5) low and I really dont know what to do or how to rectify the matter.She had hematuria around 2010 too, and a couple of years ago she had bright red blood in toilet the doctor did an internal and said it was a small tear so did not send for any other studies, but it was really bad as I got a shock, and she said she had it once after that but did not tell me on the day only after a couple of days as she said I would have taken her to the doctors, she did mention though that she strained a bit.
I am worried as my Father In Law had bowel cancer in his 70s and is ok at present now 77, and my mother in laws step brother toohad it, and he did not survive

She gets highly stressed and I am a stress head as well, I have given all the results as I dont know what else to do and feel so helpless, They did a Coeliac Disease serology (serium) – normal 2.53,for 2012 results as per 1/6/12,).
Were they looking for Crohn's disease or is there any other test that she needs to do
She gets really cramppy during her monthlies and I dont want to give her any ibuforen tablets so I gave her panadol but she was in sever pain, spoke to the doctor she said that Ibuforen is better than Panadol, and now reading about crohn's disease noticed that Ibuforen is not good and she used to take them for headaches period pains, etc, and she is someone that gets highly stressed out.
Plese any information you can provide will be useful, someone mentioned about bile in the stools why is that and how can I help her.

Can anyone give my a list of things that she needs to eat if she has crohn's diease, what other test could she do and what are the other symptoms to look out for, I thought the stomach cramps gassy bloated feeling was due to the calcificatin but the doctor said it has nothing to do with it . I am at a loss, please any information is useful
Sorry about this as i dont know what else to do and I am looking for answers.
Wish you all good health
God Bless you
Heather

Last edited:
still no idea after reading all 9 pages!!!
H.Pylori
Stress
Apendix removed
Smokes
Drinks a lot of milk
Family history
Used to bite her nails
Any of the above ... something else ... who knows
Am very interested in the Stem Cell treatment mentioned and will definately be keeping an eye on that
On a lighter note, she does not remember being abducted by aliens and was always a very good girl ...

I think it is evolution at work. Natural selection, survival of the fittest. Some Peoples bodies can handle these processed foods and grains and refined sugars in today's standard American diet. And others maybe have developed a gene or somethiong that doesn't allow their genetic code to accept these types of foods and therefore eventually causing digestive disease.

I came to this theory in my success with the SCD diet. I think our bodies are adapting to our ways of eating. Diet is not a cure for anyone with IBD but it sure does seem to help. It seems primal foods like fresh meats not processed, or fresh fruits instead of packaged crap is what we should be eating instead. The damage has already been done. Some will go on and obesity will rise as well as disease and shorter lifespans, and others will go on just fine and live long and happy lives.

This is JUST my opinion ;)

There is Crohns in my family history,
and I have had IBS type symptoms for many years ( think I first spoke to my Dr about it 17 years ago?)

I think the true Crohns started after I spent a long time taking ibuprofen for back and leg pain and this major flare has come since I lost my dad last year.

So genes triggered by stress and anti-inflammatories mixed with a bit of a taste for naughty treat foods would be my guess.

This is an interesting question and one I feel strong about. The stats for people with an ibd has trippled in this country over the last 20 years. The one thing that has been consistant with the growth of issues is how our food has been grown. This country is all about quantity, the farmers wanting to produce more and bigger to supply the demand. Our foods have been genetically altered for a long time. I really really believe, the way our foods have been tampered with is was triggers all ibd issues. I think we all carry the possibility, just like with cancer cells. However, some of us have these diseases trigger because of the foods and others don't. However, this will NEVER go away, because the companiies that produce the seeds, like Monsanto, will never stop the genetics because that is money in their pockets!

Agree or not....this, to me, is the reason I am suffering from Crohns and will have a shortened life because of it.

wow, lots of action on this thread,

this guy has a theory, and a study to back it up,
not just crohn's, but autoimmune in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn-jmCi4zI&feature

i agree with him,

the genetic part is what autoimmune disease you get,
All the things that people are suggesting (antibiotics, NSAID, bad water, stress, etc) are just the things that tipped you over.

I was talking to a workmate and he said he'd rather die than give up sugar, i smiled and said 'fine by me'
I kinda agree with this. Before i got diagnosed i would have skin problems, memory problems, taking antibiotics for colds and also stress from being laid off and worried about everything etc. I ate poorly and drank alot of alcohol. It was like by body was trying to tell me i was out of balance and i didnt do anything about it, so here i am now with crohn's and so many other issues.

kiny

There a good reason why it can't be only genetics anymore. Many studies point this out.

Say you have a country with 1000 people.

10 people of ages 10-40 have crohn, 990 do not.

You now have a maximum increase in "genetic crohn"...since you know the average amount of babies those 10 people will have.

If in 10 years time you suddenly have 40 people with crohn, something went wrong with the theory that it is "simply genetics"....you can't have 40 people with crohn, those 10 people couldn't have had 30 babies.

That's what happened in those countries where they see 3 / 4 fold increase in crohn. It was 10 fold in Ireland in 10 years iirc.

Genetics maybe are part of it, but it doesn't explain the increases, nor does it explain why in 50% of the cases, only 1 of both exact twins get crohn and the other does not. They have the exact same genes, and 50% of the time only 1 gets crohn, the other never gets crohn, not even delayed.

(another interesting thing about those twins is that in the cases where both do get crohn, there is often 10 years or more difference between the onset of crohn from one twin to the other, so whatever that 1 twin did, he / she managed to keep the disease at bay 10 years longer)

In Asia they're also finding more and more people who don't have the genetic markers at all, many have crohn, but many don't have a NOD2 / ATG16L1 mutation.

So whatever it is, pathogen, food, mental state, one or multiple things have an influence on this disease, regardless of genetics.

Last edited:
For me,it's been stress and environmental factors..was sick and had several surgeries in my twenties then my thirties were great!hit my forties and when I was exposed to both several vaccines for oversaw work and working in India and Africa..that did it.no one else in my family has IBD..a few have beven diagnosed with ibs but ruled out for IBD since I am known to have it for sure.
So..stress..mental and physical;enviromental(I sti think the vaccines I got put me into an active flare)..and probably somewhere there's a genetic predisposition that hasn't been identified yet

My Crohns began shortly after I started taking birth control pills but I have to say I also had major stress at my job that year. I agree it lays dormant and just takes one trigger to bring it out. Kinda like cancer :(

I think that it's a combination of environmental factors as well as a predisposition to not being able to cleanse certain substances as easily from our bodies. Growing up, I lived in Alaska with fresh foods and a pristine environment. When I was ten I moved to Ohio not too far from a BP refinery. I think throughout time the pollution and toxins built up in my body from my environment as well as from the processed foods I ate. I also was taking a lot of ibuprofen for various sports-related injuries. Finally, I got a terrible stomach flu that I didn't heal from and was diagnosed with crohns six weeks later.

I've since done a cleanse and switched to an all natural, healthy diet and the results have been dramatic. Purifying my body has made a huge difference in my crohns symptoms and quality of life.

I think for my crohn's my problems started in 2004 when i was in college for teaching, i had teaching practice and the dreaded inspectors coming every so often to grade my teaching, so i think that is where it all started for me. Plus the fact that my mom's family is riddled with IBD, 4 members (1 deceased) with crohns or U.Colitis and my grandmother had bowel cancer.

Luck of the draw? I really have no idea, but it's been both a blessing and a curse. We all know the curse part. But the blessing? More empathy, more sympathy. Can't complain about that!

I believe it was Doxycycline that caused mine. Antibiotics seem to be a common theme here.

Hi Raleigh,

My GP has just prescribed Doxycyline for a facial skin rash and very hot face. Im assuming the condition is related to my Crohns. I feel as though Im about to have a relapse with the presence of this skin condition. Should i be not taking the Doxycycline...?

I don't think I did anything to "get" Crohn's since I believe it's genetic. But I think flare triggers are closely tied with stress and what's going on in your life, whether you find it stressful or not.

John,

Studies have shown a correlation between long-term Doxycycline use and the development of Crohn's. The operative words are "long-term". How long is your course of Doxycycline?

I know that if it was me, I wouldn't take Doxycycline again, or any other Tetracycline-class antibiotics. But I'm not a physician, and I can't advise you on what to do.

If you feel like the skin condition is related to your Crohn's, it may take immunosuppressants or Biologics to rid yourself of it, instead of antibiotics. I would talk to your GI about it, instead of relying on your GP.

Brian

Hi Brian

I've been on Doxycycline for about 7 days now though i do remember taking a long dose of antibiotics for acne about 20 years ago ( about the same time I started having bowel issues...!!). Not sure what antibiotic my GP prescribed back then though I am suspicious it was either Doxycycline or Tetracycline.

Im due to see my GI tomorrow and will ask his advice.

Thanks for your help Brian. Hope all is going well for you..?

John,

Glad to help! 7 days shouldn't be an issue. However, if you were on Doxycycline long-term for acne, I'd be suspicious about that being a possible cause for your Crohn's. I was also on Doxycycline for acne, which, looking back was ridiculous because I didn't even really have acne. I wish I never took it. I think it's irresponsible for doctors to dish out antibiotics like that.

It's definitely a good idea to ask your GI about it. He may have a better alternative for you that will help resolve the skin condition.

As for me, I'm still struggling while trying to get a diagnosis. But I will be seeing my GI soon, so hopefully things will be looking up soon.

I hope all goes well tomorrow. Keep me posted on what your GI says. Take care.

Brian

I agree that Crohns was in my body, but needed to be triggered.
I think it was a combination of smoking, anxiety, crappy foods, and no excersize. I sh*t on my body, my body sh*t on me.

I think I've had it since I was 9 or 10, it just wasn't prevelant. I used to get bouts of diarhea and stomach cramping but it was so infrequent nothing was done about it. Then I started smoking and drinking and eating worse and worse and about 2 years ago I noticed a real change but still nothing too prevelant. About 6 months ago things got progressively worse, stress and increased smoking just made it so much worse until I was really suffering. I think genes was the big part, someone else who experienced the stress like me and smoked like me wouldn't have gotten Crohn's but because of the genes I got it.

Looking back I have had minor issues since I was little, gas, bathroom emergencies..ect. But I could always blame it on something. Until last July I definately think stress set it off and I was also taking a very strong nsaid for hip pain I was having. I swear the Mobic is what totally set it off with a vengence.
Mobic is what set mine off too! I know I've always had "tummy issues" before, but Immodium always took care of it. Then in January I was having issues with my knees from standing all the time working a 2nd job...started taking Mobic, and literally 2 weeks later the big D came and hasn't left since. I was Diagnosed in May. I am pretty sure had I not gotten on the Mobic I wouldn't even know I have Crohns still. I don't think the Mobic caused it, but i certainly think it aggravated my colon enough to make Crohns show it's ugly face!!!!!

I am not dx with crohn's yet, my GI keeps saying he thinks I have IBS. Anyhow, have been on a low dose antibitoic for over 4 years to keep the bad UTI's I was getting at bay. I take keflex( low dose daily). I am certain it is why my gut and intestines are messed up now whether it is IBS or crohn's or something else! It sucks. I had no choice though. I had tried ALL natural alternatives to keep the UTI's away and nothing worked. I also have IC which makes me prone to UTI's. Anyhow, it was either go on the low dose antibitoic or keep getting infections and have to be on different High doses of antibitoics often. I guess I felt that it was better to be on a low dose rather than take frequent high doses for weeks at a time.

Not sure if antibitoics can cause crohn's, but I would not be suprised. I will no longer eat ANY meats unless they are antibitoic free. They said that more and more women are getting urinary issues ( infections and IC) due to eating chicken that are rasied on certain antibitoics! I also do NOT think stress causes crohn's or any other disease( otherwise everyone would be walking around with these diseases). I think stress can make an already sick person sicker though.

I plan on seeing my gastro doc soon as I am in awful pain in my intestines again. I will likely have to do some testing to see whats going on. Oh, I also take large amounts of probiotics as well, have been for years. Not sure if they work or not though.

First off I'd like to start off by saying there was never a history of Crohn's or auto immune disease in my family, on both sides, mother and father. When i was diagnosed, my doctor told me I had Atypical Crohn's, she said Aboriginal descendants rarely acquire this disease and that it was even more rare that it was atypical. So I believe that it was something in my upbringing that had triggered this disease in me, maybe my lifestyle, I was overweight in my teens when the disease and symptoms first began to appear. Maybe it was the neglect of a healthy diet.

In my early teens (13-16) I used to take Zithromax (azithromycin) treatments at least 3-4 times a year for 3 years, weekly treatments for things such as lung infections (asthmatic) and tonsillitis and other minor infections I had gotten. I am not sure this had an affect on me or not, but it was the ONLY drug I have ever taken from a doctor other than my inhalers for my asthma.

I never abused any drugs, other than marijuana, which I still currently smoke and sometimes eat (edibles).

I am not sure the antibiotics have a link to my Crohn's or not, anybody else have anyting to say on that drug and it's link to Crohn's?

Another theory I have is that I had a very poor diet, I used to order pizza nearly every week for a year straight, and for my entire youth and teen I drank lots of soda, especially in my 14-16 years, I would say I averaged 6 cans of coke a day. I believe the acid wear from the coke had a direct affect on my stomach lining and the acid wear could have led me to this. I believe that my stomach and intestines were always used to high amounts of acidity and that my immune system was constantly repairing damage done, and is what lead to my immune system becoming the way it is leading to my Crohn's, but that's just my theory, and I would love to see what you all have to say on that one.

Hey Duckbutta,

I really Do Not think that the diet you kept when you were in your teens has anything to do with you getting crohn's. If that was the case, hell, most every teenager out there would be walking around with crohn's disease. One thing I do think may be a factor is that the bacteria's out there are much stronger and much more agressive than they use to be due to their evolving. Some bacteria have now shielded themselves with biofilms. These biofilms make it hard to even detect them in your body, let alone erradicate them so so they are left free to do damage. They are studying this with the bacteria E-coli that causes bladder infections. women are getting UTI's that cannot be killed off, they have become stronger and have these biofilms. Who's to say that bacteria are not doing the same in the GI tract.

I have been on a low dose antibitoic( keflex) for over four years now to keep urinary infections away. I think antibitoics Can cause harm, infact they do. They can cause C-diff which can be deadly. They can also cause IBS and I am sure they can set someone up for getting crohn's. It is super important to take probiotics when taking any type of antibitoics. This "may" help prevent the intestines from being damaged. Though I have been on high doses of probitoics for a long time, but I am having horrid intestinal issues, so not sure how well they really work. My GI doc thinks they DO help which is why I take them.

WHo knows what causes crohn's or all of these other disease out there. But one thing is for sure. ALOT more people are coming down with these diseases lately. Is it environmental maybe?? OR it could be pharma-drugs. Some of the commercials I see on how these drugs have horrid side effects scares the crap out of me. I hate taking ANY type of drug. There is always going to be a consequence when you take a pharmaceutical drug it seems. It really sucks.

Thanks for the response lhurt, it was very informative.

I am probably going to start on a trial period of the Cannabis Oil in the next few months when I get my hands on enough of it. I do not look forward to long term effects of Imuran, so I am looking for something that has a lesser downside for the future.

I believe the triggers are a combination of antibiotic use, stress and smoking in my case. The first signs of changes in my body came immediately after an overseas trip, and i do remember taking two courses of antibiotics to treat flu/virus before i left.

Ive also heard the crohns is a reaction to bacteria found in milk.

Im sure there are a few theories out there. Lets hope for a cure in the future.

Just thought I'd throw this out there... I don't know if any of you have heard of or read a book called "The Autoimmune Epidemic", I found it to be very informative, and the proposed theories make a lot of sense. I personally think everyone should read it whether they suffer from an autoimmune disorder or not.

John,

Glad to help! 7 days shouldn't be an issue. However, if you were on Doxycycline long-term for acne, I'd be suspicious about that being a possible cause for your Crohn's. I was also on Doxycycline for acne, which, looking back was ridiculous because I didn't even really have acne. I wish I never took it. I think it's irresponsible for doctors to dish out antibiotics like that.

It's definitely a good idea to ask your GI about it. He may have a better alternative for you that will help resolve the skin condition.

As for me, I'm still struggling while trying to get a diagnosis. But I will be seeing my GI soon, so hopefully things will be looking up soon.

I hope all goes well tomorrow. Keep me posted on what your GI says. Take care.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Just an update on my visit to my Gastro yesterday. Will be going in for a colonoscopy soon to determine levels of inflammation etc. The redness on my face is Rosacea, easily identified by him and strangely by no other doctor in the past. My Gastro did say that there is no link or correlation between my current skin condition and onset/flare up CD...! Not sure if i believe him on this..?? He did also mention that Doxycycline is a low risk antibiotic and should be fine to continue using. Not sure about this one either..??

Anyway, i will consult a skin specialist and hopefully sort out the problem.

I have no doubt the flare up is associated with smoking..!!

Cheers

John

Duckbutta: Yeah, I hear you about taking meds. They all have such horrible side effects. I have heard about cannabis oil as well being really good for inflammation and pain. I live in Chicago IL, and unfortunately IL is one of those places where they would not pass the cannabis bill. How the heck do you even get the oil from the cannabis???

I wish I had even the slightest idea what caused mine! I was 7 and it was like it just came out of nowhere. One day I was fine, and the next I wasn't. I wasn't an anxious or stressed out kid, I was just having fun in first grade. No one in my family has it either, so I guess I just happened to be the "lucky" one.

I'm sure it's genetic. Not in the sense that it's necessarily passed from parent to child (my parents don't have it, though other relatives have related conditions), but in the sense that I have a wrong gene somewhere. And I do think hormones determine how and when it manifests. Perhaps more for women than for men?

For me it came on in adolescence - when hormones change. I have a lot of hormone problems too - unrelated conditions, but my digestive symptoms seem to corelate with times when my endocrine problems have been crazy. (And I've read a lot about how IBD and many other illnesses are influenced by pregnancy, menopause, adolescence, etc. I think hormones are powerful things when it comes to illness!)

I'm not a big believer in environment as a cause for this disease. It plays a role in other diseases, but I'm not convinced about IBD. And I think the role of emotional stress in any disease is overrated! Different people get different physical symptoms from immedate stress - heart palpitations, upset stomach, trouble sleeping or whatever. But not actual diseases. Not actual damage to the body. The effects of stress on IBD, I believe, are mainly limited to how stress affects lifestyle. Like if feeling stressed makes you eat differently, that could in turn affect your digestive symptoms, and having IBD might make the effect more pronounced.

So genes. Or fate. :p

UnXmas..I agree with most of what you say but wanted to point out that stress can definetely affect structural changes in the body..with the chronic release of potent hormones such as adrenalin and catacholamines,not to mention the release of cytokines with the inflammatory process. These change the body's ability to effectively fight disease and prevent injury.
I think people have a misguided idea that 'stress' is somehow a psychological issue alone and the measure of mental health is the ability to manage all issues under that umbrella 'stress'. Maybe that's a part of it but I believe the interplay of the physiological response with the psychological is so complex and hardly understood well by anyone.
As I wrote previously, I do believe in an enviromental aspect to ibd. It's clear to me that my crohns was activated largely by being exposed to contaminated food and water in developing countries where I worked, along with the living situations which DID stress my body out..temperatures up to 120• during the day in the Saharan desert. I had the predisposition and probably had crohns In remission at that time.so for me, I can just see how these things all came together for the perfect storm of a big crohns flare..

Ckt: I have to admit my views on "stress" were the result of a lot of doctors using it as a way to tell me my symptoms were not serious and/or imaginary, and I was generally treated badly because I was perceived to have mental rather than physical health problems - with the term "stress" being thrown around as part of poor mental health. So I probably am liable to refuse to accept the role of stress in a rather strict manner at times! My own symptoms never seem to correlate with stress, which also makes it hard for me to understand how it could play a role... surely it should have some effect on me that I can notice? I notice when I'm stressed I have trouble sleeping. But my digestive system - all my other physical problems actually - are completely independent of how I'm feeling emotionally.

I do recognise environment has some influence. I know diet effects me, and I guess that's classed as an enviromental factor. The phsyical stress of the "wrong" diet severely worsened my disease, even though it didn't cause it and I don't think any diet could have prevented it. I think it's when some people start saying that illness is a result of lifestyle/psychology and it implies the sick person is somehow responsible - it implies there's blame involved - that it gets to me. So yeah, I have issues that have shaped my opinon.

It helps to read posts like yours and remind myself to keep an open mind. :)

Stress killing myself at hard working job. I remember I was on heavy anitboditics for some flu before I got the sores in my mouth first symptom and got crohns. Living in Detrioit area at the time probably should have boiled my tap water the place is a dump who knows what micro organisms.