• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

At what point does stelara work and you feel better

Hello all, first time poster, as the title says at whatnpok t does stelara start working, I got my starter infusion September 21, and now 20 weeks later and 2 self injections it doesn’t feel like it has done that much. I’m the middle of this journey I had a
Fistula and seton placed, on budesonide for the past month and nothing seems to be doing anything. I’m down 50 pounds and just seem to be spinning my wheels. Thanks for hearing me

Scipio

For me Stelara started working pretty quickly. I noticed improvement with 2 or 3 weeks after the loading infusion. But others on this site have reported much longer waits for it to kick in - months.

For me Stelara started working pretty quickly. I noticed improvement with 2 or 3 weeks after the loading infusion. But others on this site have reported much longer waits for it to kick in - months.
Thank you for the quick response, I have been in this valley for 20 weeks since loading dose and it feels
Like i am never getting out of it. Thank you

my little penguin

Staff member
My kiddo it took 8 months
But I do stress but
He had to move to injections every 4 weeks
Once he was getting it every 4 weeks then it works after 2-3 shots
Prior to that he was on Stelara every 8 weeks and it did nothing
We almost threw in the towel on that drug
But it’s been over 5 years almost 6 and he is good on it .

Have you tried oral prednisone or een to help boost it ?
I believe my kiddo was on pred plus some een and methotrexate but still wasn’t enough with Stelara at 8 weeks

During this process I have been on prednisone for a run, budesonide for about a month, Apriso for months, also been on a flagyl for about a month long run, just seems like I am not gaining at all. I have appt with doc on Tuesday and discuss options. I started in September at 20” pounds and now run 150 and have no strength or energy. Again thanks for the response

Were you given flagyl because you had a known infection or because your doctor thought it would help with inflammation?

Thanks for replying. I asked because flagyl helped more than any other medication for my kid's Crohn's, even with no fistula.

I think it may have done better not fighting the fistula battle, I am just trying to get to my next dosing of stelara and keep staying positive, which as all know when down in the valley for an extended time it gets harder and harder to do, gonna talk to doc about moving from 8 weeks to 6 weeks and see if that speeds up the process thanks for the responses everyone,